News:

• May 17, 2024, 05:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CL Scale Line Diameters - Good news....  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
CL Scale Line Diameters - Good news....
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
Ready for some good news.... Allen Goff proposed an urgent rule proposal to revise the line diameters for CL scale to some more reasonable diameters and it has passed. The link below is to the proposal and the AMA website has also posted the voting results. By the way there is a separate CL scale and a RC scale board now, we no longer have RC scale board members voting for our rule changes.

Not sure when the rule book will be changed but this is good news in terms of the line diameters that we can fly with. I am hoping it will be officially published in the rules before the Nationals.

Also remember if you are willing to put up with solid lines they also have different diameters that are lower than the braided lines. You will need to wrap the lines if you decide to use solids just like they do in Stunt. I have been flying a Fox 35 stunt speed model with solids and they are not that bad. They just need a larger diameter reel and you have to keep tension on the roll when you unroll and roll them up at all times.

Fred

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/CLSC15-03Urgent.pdf
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CL Scale Line Diameters - Good news....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
Under the existing rules some of the line sizes were excessive.  Without digging up an E-Rule Book I seem to recall a top end requirement for three .027" lines on some of the heavier models.  This resulted in a total strength of 375 pounds, enough to life most men off the ground.

But the writer has now proposed to lower the sizes too much.  I would not fly:

1.5 pounds (24 ounces) on two .008" lines.
  9 pounds on two .018" lines.
12 pounds on two .021" lines.

I don't know who's on the new committee, but if this passes safety will be seriously threatened. 
A 5-G pull test is no pull test at all. 

If the airplane owners are crazy enough to fly their masterpieces to the limits of this rule there will be a rash of crashes before sanity prevails.

Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Under the existing rules some of the line sizes were excessive.

Under the quite recently adopted rules some of the line sizes were excessive.  You could make a counter-proposal to go back to the 2012 sizes.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:07:04 AM »
Thank you, Allen. Under the new rules, the line diameters were excessive.

Jim Fruit

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
If a person thinks the new lines sizes are too small, you don't have to use them.   As long as they pass pull test, they should be okay.  I remember when evry one was going to .015 in combat that I stayed with .018.  The rules says minimum size not max. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »
If line sizes are determined by what the owner feels is right we don't need rules at all.

For the safety of the sport we need minimum standards to protect us from those would jeopardize safety to gain performance advantage.

The Speed and Racing categories have done a good job of scientifically calculating safe line sizes. 
Other categories have yielded to the will of those who would temp fate to gain performance.
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
If line sizes are determined by what the owner feels is right we don't need rules at all.

For the safety of the sport we need minimum standards to protect us from those would jeopardize safety to gain performance advantage.

The Speed and Racing categories have done a good job of scientifically calculating safe line sizes.  
Other categories have yielded to the will of those who would temp fate to gain performance.

If you are an AMA member, then rather than expending your energy (and ours) in complaining, you can put it to good use by writing a counter-proposal.  Here's the relevant page:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/ruleproposals.aspx

Frankly, if you feel as strongly about it as you express, then you should file a counter-proposal post haste.

Note that 5G pull tests have been the norm in Scale for years, and there haven't been reports of people getting chopped to bits by runaway airplanes.  So regardless of what your opinion may be, reality's opinion seems to be that it works.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:26 PM »
Thanks Tim, well said.
On a nether note, the C/L scale contest board members are listed on the AMA web site. With tha being said there is a combined 450 years +Or- involved in modeling, I have 64 years and some have more than that. Safety is still #1 with us and fun for most of us.
Blessings
Allen

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »
I agree with what Allen said, and an engineering analysis was done and the resulting factor of safety (even with a 20 lb model) exceeded 2.0 in every case. In fact as the airplane gets smaller the factor of safety climbed to 3.8 or higher.

bottom line with a factor of safety of 2.0 the lines are only being loaded at 50% of their load limit.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 05:33:13 PM »
The official CL scale rules have been updated to the line diameters in the Urgent Rule Proposal so that means we can use the smaller line diameters this summer. I know I am going to make some new flying lines for the Nats.

Look on page 7 of these rules

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2015-2016CLScale.pdf

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here