News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: flying boats for CL scale  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
flying boats for CL scale
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:40:03 PM »
One of the projects that I have always wanted to do it the Short Sunderland flying boat. The AMA rules allows for non-scale devices to allow a flying boat to take off and land on concrete. They also allow dollies but that does not make much sense since if you release the dolly then you still need something to land on.

The question is, if the Sunderland had the bare minimum landing gear attached to the model how would that do against other models with normal wheels. And could you still do a touch and go and still get points?

Two options come to mind, two wheels at the centerline of the hull like the B-47 with wheels on the tip floats or tricycle style gear on the hull with small wheels and painted black.

Which one could do the best way to go....is there other options people have tried?

Thanks,
Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: flying boats for CL scale
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
Hi Fred,
Since the rules allow for the non-scale landing gear, I don't see how that could reduce points in any judges' mind.  Certainly wouldn't mine since it's within the rules.  I agree with you on using a dolly - duh.  Not me.
I'm not familiar with the particular ship you're thinking of, but I would probably go with wheels on either side of the fuse and music wire tip and tail skids for the take-off and landing assist.  The skids would be harder to see and detract less from the appearance, maybe?  Just a thought.  They could be detachable for static judging.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
If it was me, I would mount two wheel just aft of the step and one at the noise of the step I would put skid plates on the two pontoons.  Landing would be like tricycle gear.  Watching vedio the aircraft floats level in the water. On taxi the noise comes up and the aircraft lifts off.  Removing wheels for static would be a good idea.  I would talk to the judges before hand and see if they agree that it is OK.  You can always leave them on.  Hopefully it will be electric.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
Fred:

The rules allow that as long as the false wheels are neatly done, they won't be considered in the static judging. As long as that is the case, I think I would do a tricycle gear arrangement to help avoid nose overs. I would be a little leery of the use of tip skids, particularly in the taxi and touch and go options. I might have some concern about the skids possibly turning the model in on me. Again, since the rules state that the false wheels won't be considered in the static judging, I don't believe that I would make them removable. The current rules allow that the only two items that are removable are a line guide and the static propeller and spinner. In this day and age, someone may gripe if we had more than that. I also agree that since this is a multi-engined airplane, I hope you will do it electric. It will sure solve a lot of multi-engine issues. I say go for it, sounds like fun.

Jim Fruit

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
This is the set of plans I would be using....he has some other plans that are a great size for CL scale.

http://www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/Sunderland72.htm

What I find interesting is that Tony does not recommend glow engines for this model. I have two CL scale models in work that are going electric for next year. If I decide to build the Sunderland would also be electric. After flying the RV-4 (Great Planes kit, 56" span, Eflite E-32) with the electric power I have converted over to electric power, the only way to go. I have two glow powered CL scale models that will get converted to electric power at some point.

I have been selling glow engines like everyone else....

Thanks for the input,
Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »
Looks like a really nice kit.  If I converted correctly it cost around $300 for the all up package.  Not bad for a kit of this magnatude.

And who says control line scale is dead!!!

#^   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 07:52:33 AM »
Why not a PBY-5A or 6A

Tom Wilk

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »
Fred:

That'll be an impressive project if you pull it off!  I can't wait to see details.

Tom:

I love the PBY.  It's been on my list since forever (which means that I'll only get it done if they put balsa in my coffin when I'm gone).

Ty:

I've seen pictures of them doing that in Roseburg, OR, but I wasn't there.  At the Regionals?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
Why not a PBY-5A or 6A

Tom Wilk

Theres you answer for a landing gear location for the Short Sunderland flying boat.  Fake them in at the same location as the PBY.  They seem to have the same boat hull with a step in about the same place.  Might also research to see if a Short Sunderland flying boat ever had one with wheels.

By the way I don't think Ty's kiddy's pool will work.   LL~

By the way AMA headquarters dose have a pond in front of the HQ building.  I don't know how deep it is - hip waders?   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
By the way I don't think Ty's kiddy's pool will work.   LL~

The picture I saw used a frame made of wood (2x6, I think), with a big plastic sheet draped over it to contain the water.  Dunno if there were provisions to avoid a smash if you hadn't taken off by the end of the pool -- although a plywood ramp would be all you'd need.

I have no idea if it worked, but it looked like fun.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Where I would really like the fly the Sunderland is the kind of float Pond the NW regionals had (Roseburg, Oregon) that was a 1/2 circle of water. Sadly they lost the site at had to fill in the water pond. We did get 3 or 4 years worth of contest flying at the site.

Grant Hiestand built this electric powered (brushed motors) Boeing 314, I had my Piper cub on floats (also electric powered) along with my Grumman Tigercat, there was also a PBY and even some stunt models that flew off the pond. I think the last time they ran the float pond was 2001. The PBY is a great idea but realy like the Sunderland better.

The Piper Cub is the 80" span Hanger Nine Cub with Astro Flite 40, super gear box, 18" prop and 21 cell Nicad Pack, things have changed with Brushless and Lipos.

Now we just need to convince the AMA to dig a water pond and we would be all set!

Enjoy,
Fred C.

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
I have flown an R/C seaplane off wet dewy grass with no problems.

Tom

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
Fred, Do you have any information on the Boeing 314? Thanks, Mike
AMA 59633

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
Grant's Boeing 314 was built with White foam fuselage, electric power from scratch working only with a 3-view (enlarged copy). No real plans to speak of, I think the wing span was in the 60-70" range. The model was covered with an iron film.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here