News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:34:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/8th Scale F6F Hellcat - Brian Taylor plans, build log  (Read 4706 times)

Mark Romanowitz

• Trade Count: (0)
1/8th Scale F6F Hellcat - Brian Taylor plans, build log
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My Brian Taylor F6F Plans arrived today. Any doubts about trying my hand in scale were quickly silenced when I took a look at those plans.. Amazing!

I have been asked to do a build log. I'm glad to do that. I'll start with a couple of photos of the plans.

Wingspan is 63"
He says the prototype weighed 8.25 lbs (132 oz) and balanced right on the CG..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:09:40 AM by Mark Romanowitz »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/8th Scale F6F Hellcat - Brian Taylor plans, build log
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:40:24 PM »
Cool!

And look at that short nose -- I'm going out and buying lead futures!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Mark Romanowitz

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
Another photo

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »
You're gonna need a bigger bench.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »
42 feet at 1/8 scale is 5'-3", large, but not huge by CL standards.
Paul Smith

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 01:54:57 PM »
Was Paul right about the wingspan? What is the weight predicted on the plans and the recommended engine? (However, most builders cannot achieve the low weights that Taylor states.) My Val weighs 7.5# and has a 60" span. It flies fine with an old ST .61 and 13-5 prop. I like large diameter, low pitch props on the scale models. C/L models can require a bit more power than the R/C original due to the drag from the flying lines.
Chuck

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
Was Paul right about the wingspan? What is the weight predicted on the plans and the recommended engine? (However, most builders cannot achieve the low weights that Taylor states.) My Val weighs 7.5# and has a 60" span. It flies fine with an old ST .61 and 13-5 prop. I like large diameter, low pitch props on the scale models. C/L models can require a bit more power than the R/C original due to the drag from the flying lines.
Chuck

I said 5'-3".  I stand corrected.  It's really 63".
Paul Smith

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
ummmmm......63" is 5'-3".  Just say'n. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »
Seems I miscommunicated. I saw that Paul figured the 1/8th scale correctly. I was curious whether Mr. Taylor drew his plans to exactly 1.5"/ft. (AKA 1/8th scale H^^)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
I have an 80" sport model designed to carry a camera that flew with an OS-91FX at one point, turned a 16" prop. A model that size would probably be happier with a .90 four stroke, .61 would be smallest I would fly it with. The large engine will give a boost in power and also be nose weight, keep the tail light as possible and stuff all of the hardware up in the nose.

The 80" model has weighed from 9 lbs to 13 lbs, I rarely fly it any more since it's 24 years old. When it flew with an OS-60FP I had to be at 3/4 power just to cruise and required full power to take off. there was no room for error on the power band.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »
As a scale guy I round the weight of my models to the nearest 1/4 or 1/2 lb and I rarely know the weight of my models to the nearest ounce.

We were at the flying field one day and someone came up and asked how much one of our 80" Piper Cubs weighed and I rounded the weight to the nearest 1/2 lb. After the person sat down and took a few deep breathes they asked how many ounces, we answered we have no idea since it wasn't important to know it to the nearest ounce when they weight that much.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Twice the weight of a Stunter is a pretty good WAG for a Scale ship, Mark. Especially the likes of an F6F.
I was planning to build a Scale Acro ship (monoplane) at 90 oz to keep some ability to do loops and inverted flight, it's tough to keep them light and add all of the Scale model "stuff".
Chris...

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
The model will not be flown or trimmed out like a stunt model, put an adjustable line guide on to reduce the line tension to keep it within reason. My CL scale models fly like bricks compared to a stunt model. I tend to push the CG further forward so that they are very docile and not pitch sensitive. I never do 5 or 6 sec lap times with my scale models I tend to fly slower in the 8-10 sec lap times.

That size of model is a great size, big enough to add detail but small enough (weight wise) so that it is manageable.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 08:20:21 AM »
I fly with the E-Flite electric motors and they size them so you can tell how much power they have, the 60 sized electric motor would fly the airplane if it came under 9 lbs. You are going to need at least 1200 watts of power for that airplane.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/airplanes/motors/power-60-brushless-outrunner-motor--470kv-eflm4060b

Combined with a 65 amp speed control and two 3S batteries (3000 Mah min, 4000 Mah max) in series to get the combined 6S battery power. you can get a Y-harness that the two 3S batteries plug into to get the 6S power.

2.4 Ghz is the way to go, the last 3-line airplane I built was in 1990, I have been flying with the down the line electronics or 2.4 Ghz since then. The only way to do electric power is with an RC receiver, all of the 2.4 Ghz recievers will plug into the ESC without any problems.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »
I fly with the E-Flite electric motors and they size them so you can tell how much power they have, the 60 sized electric motor would fly the airplane if it came under 9 lbs. You are going to need at least 1200 watts of power for that airplane.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/airplanes/motors/power-60-brushless-outrunner-motor--470kv-eflm4060b

Combined with a 65 amp speed control and two 3S batteries (3000 Mah min, 4000 Mah max) in series to get the combined 6S battery power. you can get a Y-harness that the two 3S batteries plug into to get the 6S power.

2.4 Ghz is the way to go, the last 3-line airplane I built was in 1990, I have been flying with the down the line electronics or 2.4 Ghz since then. The only way to do electric power is with an RC receiver, all of the 2.4 Ghz recievers will plug into the ESC without any problems.

Fred

Fred,

Any idea what all that stuff would weigh? That is, minus the model itself, but everything Electric related to get the model flying?

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
Speed Control is very light at maybe 2 ounces, the two 3000 Mah Lipos are the heaviest item. Lipos vary widely in weight and size to be prepared to install larger or batteries of different weights.

Motor - Approx 12 ounces
Battery - 16 ounces
ESC - 2-3 ounces

The entire package comes in under 2 lbs, but also remember that the F6F will probably need nose weight due to the short nose moment so the Lipo batteries are moved forward to bring the CG forward. So instead of add a bunch of lead ballast we can use the Lipos as ballast.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »
They STILL have not deleted the PENALTY for using a retract gear plane with flaps and not having the gear & flaps functional in Sport Scale & above.   

At this point I would only build a fixed gear model, maybe with flaps.  You can't win a serious contest with a Hellcat unless the gear & flaps work.
Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
the realism score hit for not have retracts and flaps are there, but it's still worth building the model.  there is no plan that I have heard to remove the realism score hit for not having flaps or retracts but that is only in competition. If this is your first model of this size and type it's better to just make it throttle only and then learn the other features at a later date.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 04:38:02 AM »
Full blown scale may not be the place to start?

Mark has absolutely no experience AND he'll be up against the 'big boys.'

A good way to get discouraged early on.

Mark Romanowitz

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
Charles, Fred,
Thanks for the inputs..

I'm going to go ahead with it and build this thing.

I have no experience in Scale control line, but I have scratchbuilt scale models before, and I have been flying control line and designing and building planes for a long time.

And honestly, If I were in it to win trophies I might change my approach. But that's not why I'm going to try it..

Here is one of my designs.. It uses a geodetic I Beam wing. I call it the "Sirius", because I was a Navigator in the Navy a while back.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
Charles, Fred,
Thanks for the inputs..

I'm going to go ahead with it and build this thing.

I have no experience in Scale control line, but I have scratchbuilt scale models before, and I have been flying control line and designing and building planes for a long time.

And honestly, If I were in it to win trophies I might change my approach. But that's not why I'm going to try it..

Here is one of my designs.. It uses a geodetic I Beam wing. I call it the "Sirius", because I was a Navigator in the Navy a while back.

Mark,

Wow! Absolutely a builders work of art. No kidding there!  H^^

Good for you!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 05:50:30 AM »
Mark,

My humble suggestion.

If it was me, and I know it's not, but, I would build a smaller simpler model and retracts aren't necessary if you select an aircraft to model that doesn't have retracts.

A winner of the 2017 Nationals was Allen Goff in Authentic Scale. Allen's model, an Extra 300 sporting CFC Graphics, instead of complicated paint graphics BTW, obviously was well received.

Also again, you may want to consider Sport Scale. Peter Bauer, I believe, won Sport/Fun Scale with a twin engine model of a British aircraft that had no retracts, I believe, a Britten-Norman Islander.

So, you have options if you elect to compete with a much simpler model.

Fred can explain the goings on with each class, I cannot. Fred is one of my mentors.

I don't compete and, as of yet, I have no interest in it.

Well, unless some of the rules get changed.  LL~

Good luck!

Charles

Mark Romanowitz

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:43 PM »
I only have so much life left in me.

When I build a scale bird, it's going to be big, and it's going to have all of the gizmos that I can afford.

I'm not really all that interested in competing. If I do, it will be in Sport Scale. Eventually I may try precision scale if I live long enough..

For me, the joy is in the journey, not the destination.

Here is my latest.. I still have red and black to apply.. It will have a reworked & chromed Russian Talka 7.2 cc motor.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:22:42 PM by Mark Romanowitz »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »
I like that one. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
Mark,

I took another look, a really good long one, at your work of art in construction.

To be honest, I cannot build or frame a model and have it turn out of that quality. Not even close.

Good for you and double kudos. Really nice work.  H^^

Charles

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »
Yeah....pretty spectacular right there!  Wish I had some talent. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 04:05:26 PM »
the big difference between Sport and Authentic scale is the following:

1) Authentic Scale is judged at zero distance so surface details really count here, including rivets
2) Cockpit is judged in Authentic, the cockpit is not judged in Sport
3) Documentation package in Authentic is much more involved, must prove color, cockpit, everything. In sport scale which is judged from 15 feet tiny stuff is not has important

It would be difficult to take a model built for sport scale and then enter in Authentic because you take a hit with the cockpit and maybe surface detail

Allen flew his Waco in Authentic at the nats the Extra 300 was in Team Scale but they were both painted. retracts done right really make for a good show. Some people claim they are an easy 10 points in competition, but what the don't realize is that 99% of the work is in the shop to get them to work and look right. moving the switch to go up and down is easy but there is a lot of work to get the gear to work correctly.

This is a good way to think about it...build the model for Sport Scale but enter Fun Scale for the first contest, then if you are still interested enter it in Sport Scale at the next contest and ask the judges for their comments. Not everyone builds for competition some build just for the enjoyment. It's your project so do what you want with it, everyone has a different goal in mind.

Brian Taylor has good outlines and plans worth the build!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Mark Romanowitz

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
Thanks, Fred, Good advice.. I appreciate it.

Mark Romanowitz

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 07:12:03 AM »
Charles, John, Glenn,

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you like the plane.

I am pleased with the way it is turning out. Can't wait to get it in the air and see how she flies..

Thanks again,

Mark

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
Charles, John, Glenn,

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you like the plane.

I am pleased with the way it is turning out. Can't wait to get it in the air and see how she flies..

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark,

What's your choice for covering?

Charles

Mark Romanowitz

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »
Silkspan generally..

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here