News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diameter versus pitch  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Jim Fruit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Diameter versus pitch
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
Guys:

Does anyone know how to calculate the relationship of thrust for different propeller diameters and pitches? I did not word that very well, but here is the problem: My next scale subject is the Beechcraft D-18 (a twin). I am considering two different HIMAXX electric motors for power. One is provided with a 10X7E propeller and the other with a 11X7E propeller. The only thing is that, at the scale I have selected, the distance from the motors centerlines to the side of the fuselage will be 4 1/2". This fairly well dictates that the propeller diameter will have to be 8". At what pitch would that 8" diameter propeller have to be to provide similar thrust as the other props and not over rev or overload the motors. I suppose another solution might be a 3-bladed propeller.

Related, but probably for another conversation, is that I want the two motors to be contrarotating. So, I would have to be able to obtain the props as a pusher and conventional. As I said, that is for another day.

Any thoughts about how I should calculate this? Thanks for your help.

Jim Fruit

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Diameter versus pitch
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
Usually models of radial-engine planes end up with absurdly small props.  Are you sure you're not using way too much motor?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
Jim,
take a look at Motocalc. You can try it for 30days for free. I have been using it for a couple of years and find it quite accurate for figuring out which motor, prop etc. It is actually a simulation program

http://motocalc.com/

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
Here are a couple of screen shots of motocalc output, these are only a few of an almost infinite selection of parameters

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 01:55:38 AM »
Guys:

Related, but probably for another conversation, is that I want the two motors to be contrarotating. So, I would have to be able to obtain the props as a pusher and conventional. As I said, that is for another day.

Jim Fruit

The short answer is YES - one pusher prop and one conventional.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:49:01 AM »
Usually models of radial-engine planes end up with absurdly small props.  Are you sure you're not using way too much motor?

Tim:
It is interesting that the real plane, with a radial engine, has the propeller come within 6" of the fuselage. They actually paint a res stripe artound the fuselage at that point to warn the ground crew of the proximity of the propeller.

I usually build somewhat on the stout side. I am guessing that the model will come in at 6 pounds+ (retracts, flaps, batteries). So, with the drag of the flying lines, I am anticipating that the motor equivalent of a .50 or .60 (total) is about what I should need.

Jim Fruit

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »
Jim,
take a look at Motocalc. You can try it for 30days for free. I have been using it for a couple of years and find it quite accurate for figuring out which motor, prop etc. It is actually a simulation program

http://motocalc.com/

John:

Thanks, John. It appears that motocalc is exactly what I need. This sort of verifies what my concerns have been all along. I wasn't even aware of motocalc. I have been building with fueled engines for over 60 years. I was very hesitant to get into electrics, because I did not want to learn an entire new system. But then I lost my flying buddy and I realized that with all electric and one of Clancy Arnold's electronic control systems I should be able to test fly by myself. I now wish I had got into electrics sooner. I learn something new every day. Thanks again.

Jim Fruit

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
Jim,

As a couple of alternatives, if you can't get a decent performance compromise with the a two-blade prop of the scale diameter you could:

As you mentioned use a multi-blade prop, or,

Cut down a larger diameter prop to get more blade area in your 8 inch diameter.  Also, I would expect you will need a fairly low pitch, say a 4.5 to 5.5 range.  You will sacrifice some prop efficiency, but should gain in overall thrust.  Prop efficiency is not an issue in scale, generally speaking.

I hope you will keep us posted on your project as the build comes along.  The twin Beech is one of my favorite planes and one that I've always wanted to model.  The yellow one that is in the NASM is just gorgeous.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
Jim,

As a couple of alternatives, if you can't get a decent performance compromise with the a two-blade prop of the scale diameter you could:

As you mentioned use a multi-blade prop, or,

Cut down a larger diameter prop to get more blade area in your 8 inch diameter.  Also, I would expect you will need a fairly low pitch, say a 4.5 to 5.5 range.  You will sacrifice some prop efficiency, but should gain in overall thrust.  Prop efficiency is not an issue in scale, generally speaking.

I hope you will keep us posted on your project as the build comes along.  The twin Beech is one of my favorite planes and one that I've always wanted to model.  The yellow one that is in the NASM is just gorgeous.

John

John:

The two possibilities for HIMAXX motors that I selected provide 10 and 11 inch by 7 inch pitch propellers as a part of the package. I assume that they are considering 7 inch pitch as most ideal for the motors. I have considered cutting down a prop to 8 inches. Do you think it would be better to start with a prop that is closer to 8 inches diameter to start with rather than cutting down a 10 or 11 inch prop? That way we would be removing less of the "meat" of the prop and effectively reducing the impact upon prop efficiency.

The D-18 (actually a C-47) that I have selected is in the museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station. It is painted overall white (yuk). But by the time one adds all of the dayglow orange, black lettering and icing boots, stars and bars, and red and yellow detail, it actually becomes quite sexy.

I will attempt to keep you posted during the build. I am not going to start it until after I fly my Laird Super Solution in FAI F4B at the NATS. The first step is to obtain the motors so that I can design the cowls and wing center section. This is why I started this post. I am constantly learning.

Thanks
Jim Fruit

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »
Jim, I looked up the dimensions of your model in your previous post. I fly a dH Hornet at 57" span and approx 7.5# with two OS 30's and 10-5 props. No retracts, but flaps and bomb drop with electronic control. Wing and power loading are such that it won't do high flight or fly on one engine. Twins pay a weight penalty vs a single engine model. I suggest you pay close attention to weight control. You should have enough power if you can find a prop to absorb it. I use large diameter, low pitch props on all my scale models.
Chuck

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »
I think the Navy designation for this plane is: JO

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »
I think the Navy designation for this plane is: JO

Chuck:

You are absolutely correct. That "C-47" did not look right when I typed it. I should quit relying upon memory. Just getting too old, I guess. That is why I ask questions.

The actual plane designation is RC-45J Navigator, tail number 9771. It has an identical sister ship, tail number 9585, that is on loan to Pima.

JHF

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »
Jim, I looked up the dimensions of your model in your previous post. I fly a dH Hornet at 57" span and approx 7.5# with two OS 30's and 10-5 props. No retracts, but flaps and bomb drop with electronic control. Wing and power loading are such that it won't do high flight or fly on one engine. Twins pay a weight penalty vs a single engine model. I suggest you pay close attention to weight control. You should have enough power if you can find a prop to absorb it. I use large diameter, low pitch props on all my scale models.
Chuck

Chuck:

Maybe I have selected too small a scale for the airplane. I wanted to go smaller this time because I am a little tired of building large, heavy models. But if the geometry does not work out with the mechanics, maybe I am fooling myself. Stuck in a rut, I guess.

Jim

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
I'm leaving for Muncie on Monday and will have two electric power models you can look at, FWIW. We can talk about it there, if you like.  There are several interelated variables:

The motor kV
Battery voltage
type of ESC
wing/power loading
and propellor

Keep in mind that you're probably better off to be over powered since you have throttle control and can dial it back.  That said, the motors will like to run somewhere near their kV rating when making flight power.  kV is the nominal rpm per volt the motor is wound for.   14V x 1100 kV = 15400 rpm You also want to stay within the current limits for the motors.  Fortunately with electrics you can calculate how much power you have at the limit and get some idea of what capacity you need in the speed control/battery combo.

Read through the stunt set up section and look at the variety of applications and plane size and weight.

John

My Jenny, for instance, uses a 6S pack, nominally 22 volts with a 550 kV motor.  I don't know what the cruise RPM is, but it works nicely with a 17-5 prop at about 50% throttle for level flight and  about 80% throttle for high flight.  This isn't directly comparable to your situation, but maybe will give a little feel for where you're headed.
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
Jim
One of the things I watch for is disk area of the prop.  The bigger the disk the more thrust.  Remember the Disk Area goes up at the Square of the 1/2 Diameter.  A three bladed prop of the same diameter and pitch will have almost 50 % more thrust at the same RPM as a similar shaped two bladed prop.

Some examples: An 8 In. prop has 50 Sq. In. of Disk Area, a 10 In. prop has 78 Sq. In. of Disk Area, an 11 In. prop has 94 Sq. In. of disk Area.

Therefore an Eight inch three bladed prop will have almost the thrust of a 10 inch two bladed prop.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
I'm leaving for Muncie on Monday and will have two electric power models you can look at, FWIW. We can talk about it there, if you like.  There are several interelated variables:

The motor kV
Battery voltage
type of ESC
wing/power loading
and propellor

Keep in mind that you're probably better off to be over powered since you have throttle control and can dial it back.  That said, the motors will like to run somewhere near their kV rating when making flight power.  kV is the nominal rpm per volt the motor is wound for.   14V x 1100 kV = 15400 rpm You also want to stay within the current limits for the motors.  Fortunately with electrics you can calculate how much power you have at the limit and get some idea of what capacity you need in the speed control/battery combo.

Read through the stunt set up section and look at the variety of applications and plane size and weight.

John

My Jenny, for instance, uses a 6S pack, nominally 22 volts with a 550 kV motor.  I don't know what the cruise RPM is, but it works nicely with a 17-5 prop at about 50% throttle for level flight and  about 80% throttle for high flight.  This isn't directly comparable to your situation, but maybe will give a little feel for where you're headed.

John:

Looking forward to seeing you at the NATS.

Jim Fruit

Jim
One of the things I watch for is disk area of the prop.  The bigger the disk the more thrust.  Remember the Disk Area goes up at the Square of the 1/2 Diameter.  A three bladed prop of the same diameter and pitch will have almost 50 % more thrust at the same RPM as a similar shaped two bladed prop.

Some examples: An 8 In. prop has 50 Sq. In. of Disk Area, a 10 In. prop has 78 Sq. In. of Disk Area, an 11 In. prop has 94 Sq. In. of disk Area.

Therefore an Eight inch three bladed prop will have almost the thrust of a 10 inch two bladed prop.
Clancy

Clancy:

I knew that when you got wind of the question, you would come up with some pretty solid resolutions. Thanks a bunch. See you at the NATS.

JHF

Everybody:

Thank you so much for all of your help. This thread is the greatest.

JHF

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »
BTW, Jim, the three-blade vs two blade decision is not really clear cut, like most things aerodynamic.  This thread offers some more info and a link to PropCalc

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=14862.msg134554#msg134554

Keep in mind, a lot of the stunt related discussion is about optimization to minimize power consumption and battery weight. In scale we are not so severely constrained because of our "relaxed" maneuver schedule.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
Jim
Some time run an engine on a test stand and monitor the Max RPM. 
Switch from a two bladed prop to a Three Bladed prop.  Compare the max RPM (Power available) verses diameter of each prop.  If loaded to the same Max RPM then you have an indication of the relative efficiencies of two and three bladed props of the same blade design. 

Consider the performance increase experienced by the P-47 with the paddle bladed props or the Corsair with three and four bladed props.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 08:00:52 AM »
Just as a period to this sentence, as you can see above I received a lot of helpful information from all. At the same time, I posed the same question to Dean from Maxx Products. Dean responded with recommendations for no less than four different outrunner motors and related propeller combinations. His recommendations included all of the electrical data for each combination. He included some with three blade combinations (which he does not sell). I already have received the equipment. Maxx Products is a great source.

Jim Fruit

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here