News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jet Turbine  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Jet Turbine
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
Has any one tryed a Jet Turbine for Scale? back in the 50's I built  F-100 -  Mig 15 -F-86 and they were powered with Dyna Jet which had a bad habit of flame outs or end in a ball of fire, with the New Turbine type jets it can be throttled and better chance of a full flight, with plenty of thrust can fly at 1/2 throttle.   #^  #^  S?P  S?P
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
Re: Jet Turbine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »
Yes,
    Charlie Bauer has had a U2 flying for several years. Impressive to say the least.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »
Thanks Dick I was kind of thinking doing a  TT-1   thats Temco  Navy Jet trainer with lots of wing .
Hummm  :!  y1
Larry

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 05:26:24 AM »
I'll have to see if I have a picture of Charlie's U2 in a digital format. It really looks and sounds good when it is flying.

Leroy

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 06:31:06 AM »
Yes the sound is like a full size Jet some of the guys in my R/C club flys them, with brakes on and run up WOW !
Larry

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »
I am no expert but what I can tell you is that Jets are not for the poor or weak hearted. Jet Cat is the supplier. The smallest one is the P60.  It produces 13 pounds of thrust and cost around $3400 time you get in installed. It has a run life of 25 hours at which time it must go back to the factory for inspection and new bearings.  Also I am told that you need to be AMA jet certified for your AMA insurance to be good.   I have seen 3 RC jet flights.  All were impressive --- but 200 mph should be.  HB~>  n~   

PS it takes a BIG airframe to handle the thrust..
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
I have seen Charlie's U-2 fly several times. He claims to use not much above idle power. It looks to me like the pull is close to the limit of what a guy Charlie's size can handle. Weight and speed could quickly get out of hand with a jet and the resulting pull could be phenomenal. At the Nats I moved the scorekeepers to safe spots behind cars in the parking lot when the U-2 flew. The flight judges did NOT like having to stay at the circle and judge. I was the C/L scale event director.

I saw two dynajet scale models back in the "good old days." One at Dayton (may have been a Cougar) where the pilot tried to whip it to get his ten laps after the engine quit---turned into lots of balsa splinters. Also saw a Vigilante twin at Cleveland. Owner couldn't get both going at the same time. Tried unsuccessfully to fly on one.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 02:19:28 PM »
Personally I would like to try a ducted fan jet model.  It is my understanding that their are some really good fan units on the market and they are much better suited for the U-control arena.  H^^ 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »
There is a whole industry being built around turbines, ducted fans and electric ducted fans.

One of the practical turbines for control line would be the Wren 44 with  10 pounds of total thrust.  The thing is not much bigger than a soda can.

Look at it at

www.wrenturbines.co.uk

or at Jet Hanger below

Larry Wolfe of Jet Hanger is a distrubutor here in the States at

http://www.jethangar.com

Jet Hanger also has a complete line of fans for gas and electric.  Much of what Jet Hanger has can be adapted to control line use and Larry would be helpfull in getting started in the right direction.  There are others out there, but some of the material that Jet Hanger has is more adaptable to control line than some of the other product lines/distributors.  The pace of developement, particularly with electric ducted fans is short of amazing.

There are also several great magazines devoted to the jets.

Jet International is published by-monthly in England.

Jet Power is published quarterly in Germany and prints in English. 

www.modellsport.de

I have the Wren 44 and a Jet Hanger F9F Panther kit that will be built someday.

Keith Trostle

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 06:23:11 PM »
For those that are interested.  I just found out about this.

There is another small turbine, even smaller than the Wren 44 discussed in my post above.  It is now commercially available.  I believe that this has been on the market since at least last Fall.

This is the Lambert Kolibri from Lambert Microturbines in Germany.

Diameter is 55 mm
Length is 125 mm
Weight - engine alone is 200g is less than 8 oz.
Weight including accessories and fuel for 8 minutes flight duration is 750g or about 26 oz.
Max thrust is about 3 1/2 pounds

This thing really is is no bigger than a soda can.

It is a bit pricey, more so than the Wren 44.  But I think it deserves some attention from the CL crowd.  This opens up all sorts of options for CL Scale.  (As do the electric ducted fans now coming on the market.)

Check it out at

http://www.lambert-modellturbinen.de/html/english.html

Keith Trostle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here