News:

• May 07, 2024, 04:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jeannin Stahltaube  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Jeannin Stahltaube
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2010, 07:30:32 AM »
After yesterday's Chain Saw operation on the nose of the model I have calculated the damages!

By moving the engine that weighs 23.23 ounces from 12.25 inches in front of the CG to 9 inches in front of the CG, it has upset the balance and will require 8.4 ounces of nose ballast.  That does not include the loss of the weight of wood removed forward of the CG.  I guesstimate that in the end I Will be adding between 10 and 12 ounces of ballast in the nose.  

This will increase the wing loading from 14.62 to 15.77 ounces per square foot.  Still a light wing loading for a scale model.  I have competed with models that had 45 and 49 ounces per square foot wing loadings and have the trophies to prove they were competitive.

Now I need to finish the rebuilding of the nose area and close in the area above and below the 1/4 inch plywood firewall.  I probably should make a new firewall but that is a lot of work for minimal added strength.  I will use 1/8 inch plywood for the fillers and lap the joints in place of edge gluing them to the firewall.  I can use the added weight!

There is space between the new firewall position and the next former to allow me to mount the fuel tank vertical in place of horizontal.  Since the engine has a fuel pump I should not have a problem with fuel flow.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
Don't you you hae it when things go wrong.  But, scale people/modelers have to be fanatics.  Went back to earlier post and see you got your wheels.  Digging thru the shop I found a set of Williams Bros Antique wheels that are 5 inch in diameter.  Laying on the bench they look larger, so I measured them.  If you need them let me know. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »
Doc
Thanks for the offer but I got lucky on eBay and won a NIB set of Williams Bros. 5 inch Vintage wheels.  Starting bid was $5.95 + $4.90 shipping.  No one bid against me!  #^ #^ #^

The suggested mounting instructions with the Williams wheels was interesting.

"For best scale appearance, use a piece of brass tubing that will slip inside the wheel hub and over the axle.  Cut the wire axle slightly short.   Solder the inside washer and brass tube to the axle.  Slip the wheel in place over the tube, slip on a washer, and allowing a slight amount of side play, drill a small hole through the end of the brass tube.  Insert a small pin or safety wire through the hole and bend the ends.  This method will allow you to remove the wheels easily and was common practice on full size vintage aircraft."

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2010, 01:18:38 PM »
That is one of the ingenious ways of mounting wheels.  I used it on a semiscale RC plane one year.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »
Doc
I like it because the plastic hub on the wheel is not subjected to the heat of soldering the retainer on.  I plan on adopting it to any new planes I build.

Got the rebuild of the nose finished today.  Now to prime and paint the nose.

Pictures 087 and 088.  Tail with last 4 cables added.  They go from the top and bottom of the rudder post to the center of the leading edge of the stab.
Picture 190.  Nose reworked with practice wheels mounted.
Picture 192.  Side view of total model with Vintage wheels installed.  Guy cables not included.

Before anyone comments on "How do you keep your work bench that clean" a neighbor placed two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood 42 x 42 inches out with his trash yesterday.  I asked if he was throwing them away and could I have them?  He said to help my self.  My standard build bench is a 34 x 34 steel framed cardtable with a 1/4 in plywood top.  Now I lay the big piece of plywood on top of the"Build Bench."  An added bonus is that I can rotate the top like a Lazy Susan.
Clancy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:37:28 PM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 10:25:33 PM »
Clancy....that is just an awesome project.  I can't waite to see some flight movies.  Way to go. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
Glenn
I will have my video camera at the flying site for the first flight.

I got two thing accomplished today on the  model.  Shot the nose with gray primer twice with sanding in between.  Lots of dings and divots to repair.

I will not need any lead ballast in the nose.  I need a 4.8 volt battery pack for the U/Tronics.  I normally use a 4 AA Ni-Cd cells rated at 600mAh, BUT I wanted to balance the model so I installed, right under the OS 91, a 4.8 volt battery pack made up of some 1/2 length D cells of 2.2 AH.  The 4 cells weigh 10.8 ounces. Charge once and fly all season!  LOL

No pictures to post as everything is hiding behind the newspaper masking.

Last night I started painting the first coat on the metal parts that will end up White such as the rudder post, Top and bottom King Posts and all of those little tabs that the guy wires attach to like the 22 tabs on the top, bottom and sides of the flexable elevator.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2010, 06:36:57 AM »
Have you bought stock in the masking tape industry yet? LL~ LL~ LL~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2010, 08:28:02 AM »
Will
No, I am painting them free hand.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »
I needed 16 cable to Carbon Fiber rod connectors to hook the wing warp control cables and wing tip spreader cables to the carbon fiber rods.  This is in addition to the ones made previously for the elevator.  See sketch below.

The carbon fiber rods are 1.5 mm dia. (.058 in.)  The connectors are formed from .009 in. sheet brass.  The connectors are installed using medium CA. then held closed with spring cloths pins until the glue cures.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
Hey Clancy, I love the photos and keep them coming.   I also like your expensive wheel chocks. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »
Doc
That is about all that blue masking tape is good for.  LOL

Today I worked on covering 1/2 the wing and especially the flexible trailing edge.  

The pictures below show the steps to cover the Carbon Fiber rods.  On the Jeannin Stahltaube the bottom covering is continuous and the top covering is pulled down around the rods.

Step 1.  Preshrink the covering material using your iron or heat gun, otherwise it will pull the rods together and distort the outline of the wing tip. See picture 194.
Step 2.  Using your heat iron tack the bottom covering to the bottom of the rods.  See picture 095.
Step 3.  Cover the top surface of the wing.  Be sure the top covering will cover the front 1/4 inch of the rods.  Form the top covering between the rods and about 1/4 inch lap onto the top surface of the bottom covering.  See picture 097.
Step 4.  Using 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide strips of the top covering material, Iron them on to the rods and lap onto the bottom covering.  This is best done with the edge of your iron against the rods while holding a piece of wood flat against the bottom of  the rods. See picture 097.
Step 5.  Cut to size and install the top covering between the rods.  On the plane I am modeling the wing is covered with an Orange colored fabric except on the top surface only they put White fabric between the Cane poles. See picture 098.

I glued in place the guy cable brackets, the Wing tip spreader post and the wing warp A frame towers.  Finished the second end on all of the associated cables. See picture 099.
Picture 0100 shows the complete wing half with a Red Yard Stick for size.

One wing is complete except for painting the Black X on the White squares and connecting the guy wires from the top and bottom King posts on the body and the gyu from the side of the engine.  Nine more cables to go on this wing half!!

Hope to finish the second wing 1/2 tomorrow.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
The Jeannin Stahltaube is ready for test flight!!!

Weight 8 lbs 13.6 oz. including the nose piece.

I dropped the nose piece and it is in repaint, that is why it is not on the model.

Enjoy the pictures, Especially the last two, as they show the amount of Rudder and Wing Warp control I have.
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
That looks awesome.  Hope it flies as well as it looks. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2010, 08:01:25 PM »
Looking gooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Man, Clancy, did you take any time out to eat or sleep during this?  You really put this thing together fast!  I can't wait for flight photos!
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »
I took it to our local CL Club meeting last night for show and tell. It about filled one room by it's self. LOL

The fall season in Indiana is wind so the first flight may not happen until spring but I will post results when it happens.

First picture is with the Jeannin Stahltaube in my KIA Rondo van ready to travel.  There is still room for a suitcase (small) and a starter box.

Second picture shows the Taube broken down into 4 parts for transporting.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »
It was suggested at our club meeting that it may be balanced too far back.  The plans show the CG at 33 % of the root cord.  6 ounces of lead moved the CG forward 1 1/2 inches to 20 % of the root cord.

A thought; if I add a servo to operate the bellcrank and switch my U/Tronics for a radio I could enter it in RC Giant Scale!!   LOL

Ain't going to happen,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »
Was busy today finalizing the controls for the Stahltaube.

Control lines are finished at 69 feet airplane CL to Handle.  They are .027 steel with nylon jacket.  They are rated at 135 Lbs test.  I only have to do a 45 lbs pull test and I can go to .021 lines if I wish.

Several years ago Jack Sheeks showed me how he adjusts the line guide to get the model to fly wings level at 5 ft altitude and to insure line tension.  Here are two pictures I took today while adjusting the line guide.  

Picture 1110.  Top view shows the model, supported by the lines, hanging slightly nose down.  You adjust the line guide fore and aft to make the body hang slightly nose down.  By the way, this is within 1/4 inch of the recommended line guide position from the "Line III" program.  This is a BIG model airplane!

Picture 1111.  Front view shows the model, supported by the lines, hanging with the wings vertical. You adjust the line guide up or down to get the wing tips in a vertical plane.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »
I bet the 1/4 1/3 RC Scale boys over in Muncie would love this!! It looks absolutely stunning Mr. Clancy!!!! Its ready for a good recon mission now!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »
I see in the pic you have the same problem most of us do.  Looks like bottom view to me.   Wish I could see it in person.  The flying is what will tell wether you have it right or not.   Just don't bruise the tar mac the first flight.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2010, 04:16:34 PM »
Doc
You are correct, that is the bottom or the leadouts are under the wrong wing and the wheels are on top.  LOL

Do you recognize the other model in the picture?

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »
  Looks to me like the right hand half of a P-38.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:47 AM »
Marvin
You are correct.  That is my P-38 that I took to the 1983 and 1985 Chicopee NATS.
Doc and I were staying in the same motel in 1985.  As I remember, we both had problems with the maids playing with our models while we were gone. 
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
Went shopping today.  Found 12 inch tall dolls that I could use for the Pilot and Observer at a Flee Market for $2.00 each.  Then I went to a Goodwill store and bought a child's shirt for the fabric colors I wanted For $1.98 + 14 cents tax.  Three hours later and they were ready to install.  

Last of the big time spenders!

Clancy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:22:24 PM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »
OOOPS!!!

When the wife and I returned home this afternoon and I opened the garage door I watched it happen.  The wind took half of the wing off the wall and bounced it on the cement floor!

Compare the two pictures.  Do you notice the difference?  The older picture shows the wing halves hanging from small nails.  The new picture shows a board screwed to the wall and big screw in hooks for the wing halves and tail to hang from.

It landed on the front part of the top of the body.  I worked a whole day fitting that top to the rest of the body so that the split line was not visible at 15 feet.  The parts are glued back on and the red body putty is curing.  Tomorrow I will attempt to refit the wing to the body.  Hope it looks as good as it did.  SOB SOB!!!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2010, 08:21:34 AM »
Outstanding work! I am humbled. I would enjoy seeing pictures of the rest of your models you have hanging up. if nothing more than to gaze on the quality!---LOUIE

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
First flight scheduled for today has been canceled due to 25 MPH wind.  Pilot has been under the weather this week also. 

I have some local friends who have volunteered to pit for me:
Jack Sheeks, a NATS CL Precision Scale champion,
Steve Couch, a 3 time NATS CL FAI Scale champion,
Jim Vornholt, a 2 time NATS Jr. CL Stunt champion,
Bob Pardue, a NATS CL Sport scale trophy winner.

I wanted to see what the nose will look like after the Chain Saw!

The Pilot and Observer are not glued in yet.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »
First flight scheduled for today has been canceled due to 25 MPH wind.  Pilot has been under the weather this week also. 

I have some local friends who have volunteered to pit for me:
Jack Sheeks, a NATS CL Precision Scale champion,
Steve Couch, a 3 time NATS CL FAI Scale champion,
Jim Vornholt, a 2 time NATS Jr. CL Stunt champion,
Bob Pardue, a NATS CL Sport scale trophy winner.

I wanted to see what the nose will look like after the Chain Saw!

The Pilot and Observer are not glued in yet.
Clancy

Did the first flight ever happen?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
John
Test flight is in a weather hold.  LOL
Gives me time for detailing the model.   You know that is never done, just abandoned. 
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2011, 12:18:12 AM »
John
Test flight is in a weather hold.  LOL
Gives me time for detailing the model.   You know that is never done, just abandoned. 
Clancy

Tell me about it.  Software and scale airplanes are never done.  They also have in common the dredded CRASH!

LL~   LL~   LL~   LL~   LL~   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here