News:

• April 17, 2024, 09:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: INPUT FOR ELECTRIC CONVERSION For BRODAK SPEED SIX  (Read 617 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
INPUT FOR ELECTRIC CONVERSION For BRODAK SPEED SIX
« on: June 03, 2023, 10:56:46 AM »
Hello Scale folks

OK, I do not hang out in this part of the forum very often (!!!) but you guys have experience I could use for the subject.  I have designed over 40 electric conversions for Brodak stunt and sport models; profile & full fuse and now I would like to do one for the Brodak/Jack Sheeks Fun Scale Miles Hawk Speed Six.  Admittedly, when looking over the plans it looks like this could easily make a nice sport-stunt model too - but I digress.

Here's what I plan, and also where I need help:

* As kitted the fuselage is .875" thick at the nose. looks like the rules allow it to be a max of 1" - I want to take advantage of that by adding another cheek to bring it up to 1".

* On my profile conversions I ALWAYS put the solid side of the battery box on the outboard side and provide access from the inboard side - I will not compromise on this, so that means a battery door on the inboard side.

* The motor and the battery box are of course both wider than 1".  I normally center these items on the fuse for aesthetics and lateral balance, HOWEVER, would you guys prefer that these components are offset so that one side of the fuselage can remain smooth & unbroken?  If so, would you prefer that the unbroken side be on the inboard side or the outboard side?  Note that even if offset the protuberance would be less than the projection of a glow engine or fuel tank.

* The Speed Six has a short nose/long tail and looks like it might have a balance issue, it also has a low wing layout with dihedral but looks like it would have a vertical CG problem.  Both issues will be addressed by locating the battery well forward and low on the fuse.

Lastly & most important: does anyone have any experience building/flying the Speed Six?

...and THANK YOU in advance for any advice you can offer here!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: INPUT FOR ELECTRIC CONVERSION For BRODAK SPEED SIX
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 05:36:27 AM »
Keep the outboard side clean. That way the judges and spectators don't see all of the hardware.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 06:45:25 PM »
Fun scale can be profile, full body or anything in between. So thickness is no issue.  There are only 10 static points and 100 flying points.  Anything close to scale gets pretty-much full marks.

In profile scale we have always been allowed to fatten-up the front end for strength.  Piston engine models let the engine, tank, and controls hang out, so you can do the same with the battery and wires.

I disagree about keeping the inside or outside clean.  It all depends on your documentation.  Plan A is to submit the left side to the judges and put the machinery on the right side.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 01:39:19 PM »
Bob & Paul: THANKS for replies.

Looks like it will be prudent to design the conversion so it can be reversible to install on whichever side of the fuselage the builder chooses.  Motor mount finished, working on the battery box/cover...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here