News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:06:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: iliad Color Chips  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
iliad Color Chips
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
Here is another source for Color Chips, these you can buy by each country, I have two of these packs from them, good stuff

Fred

http://www.iliad-design.com/charts.html
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: iliad Color Chips
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
Here is another source for Color Chips, these you can buy by each country, I have two of these packs from them, good stuff

Fred

http://www.iliad-design.com/charts.html

Fred,

Thanks for that source.

I generally get my color code numbers from plastic modelers, as I did with my Stuka. Well, one mistake was made but I corrected it.   n~

Color chips can't make a mistake. Priced reasonably also.

I have no plans for a Warbird in the future but I will save that link.

Thanks again.

Hey! what are you working on?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:21 AM »
Just ordered WWII USN and IJN sets. Thanks Fred.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
picked up 3 sets myself

I am working on an AT-6 with flaps and retracts, electric power of course...

fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
picked up 3 sets myself

I am working on an AT-6 with flaps and retracts, electric power of course...

fred

Fred,

AT-6, what a great aircraft to model. I passed on a ride in one once.

Made graphics for the AT-6 many times in many sizes.

Will you Post the Build?

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »
Too bad they do not show the mid/late German colors from WW2.   

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
Too bad they do not show the mid/late German colors from WW2.   

Rich,

I got my correct colors for the Stuka from the plastic model guys. That's why I used Tamiya colors. Great bunch of guys and very helpful.

You have to fight them off they're that helpful.

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 06:38:58 AM »
The plastic modeling world has some of the best information about colors and what is used on the planes. I have a small collection of plastic models not to build but for the information on markings, paint schemes and colors.

There have been several models painted with the Tamiya paints intended for plastic models but flown on an electric powered CL model. What I like is that the colors are pre-mixed and the research is all done for you!

The Iliad color chips I think were done for the plastic modeling guys not us

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »
The plastic modeling world has some of the best information about colors and what is used on the planes. I have a small collection of plastic models not to build but for the information on markings, paint schemes and colors.

There have been several models painted with the Tamiya paints intended for plastic models but flown on an electric powered CL model. What I like is that the colors are pre-mixed and the research is all done for you!

The Iliad color chips I think were done for the plastic modeling guys not us

Fred

Fred,

The plastic modeling guys are extremely helpful as I mentioned. The Tamiya paints are great and can be used for IC with a protective clear coat.

Clear coats have been talked and argued to death. I've made my choice and I'm staying with it.

My Stuka has only Tamiya water base paints on it. The finish will be satin or semi gloss as 2K Spray Max calls it. There's actually no gloss at all.

Fred, I hope you don't mind the photo.

My Stuka Tank Buster with Tamiya water base paint. I'll get it completed this month.

Fred, you have a great Thread here. Thank you for that lead and information.

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
Charles,

Send me a High resolution image that might be able to use in the CL scale column on the project with some info about the model like what kit, engine, weight, span stuff like that!  The pictures need to be as big as possible in terms of the pixels to be printed in the magazine.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
Charles,

Send me a High resolution image that might be able to use in the CL scale column on the project with some info about the model like what kit, engine, weight, span stuff like that!  The pictures need to be as big as possible in terms of the pixels to be printed in the magazine.

Fred

Fred,

That model isn't finished it looks just like that photo if I took another of it photo today.  LL~

There's a build someplace, I don't think the build is in the "Scale" area. Photos at 72dpi's.

The model is only semi scale. Just the fuselage has scale outlines, the wing isn't really close, looks it but it isn't. it's lacking the tip taper. I wanted the squares.

The model is designed for stunt.

Doing that white camo is tedious, so I took a short brake that turned into a long brake because I started the GBR3.

I have plastic models I use for detail also. My guess is plenty of guys do that.

I try to get 1/32 scale.

I just picked up the Mystery Ship to use for the TEXACO 13 I have going but it's 1/72 scale and a bit of a disappointment.  n~

Charles

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »
 Charles, 

Having heavily researched the Stuka, one of the biggest misconceptions on the design is the shape of the ailerons.  This is because the 3-views that are out there, and I mean almost all of them, show the ailerons tapered.  The actual full scale Stuka's ailerons were constant chord.  THe funny thing here is that it is hard to find documentation that shows this, other than actual photos of the plane, which trump anything else in competition docs actually.  So as far as competition goes, tapering the ailerons to match documentation would be in most modelers best interest, unless they can locate a 3-view otherwise.  Out of all of the books I have on the subject (over 10),  I have 1 3-view that is accurate.  Plastic models can be notoriously out of scale, as will be freely admitted by the plastic modelers themselves.  So they must be used carefully.

Not that this is an issue with your model, as you have enlarged your flaps for stunt flying, but I thought I would point out this little known fact about the Stuka.   I am in the throws of building a Ziroli giant scale Stuka, and not sure when I will get back to it.  But it has always been one of my favorite aircraft.   

Rich

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
      The benefit of having good color chip documentation, is to verify your colors for the judges.   That is what I like so much about the M&M book.   The problem with the Tamiya colors is they are not listed by the (German) RLM numbers.  And as far as I know, even if they were, they are not accurate.   As far as model paints go, I prefer Humbrol or Testor's to find the colors, as they are listed by the national color numbers from the era.  

I have never used the plastic model paints themselves to finish an entire model.  Since all of my scale models have been giant scale,  I go to Home depot and have my paint mixed to match my samples out of latex house paint.  But you can get Warbircolors paints and also Klass Kote that sell thier colors based on the RLM numbers, which would give you a more fuel proof finish than the house paint.  Although a clear coat would solve this issue.   BTW, the latex paint is really cheap.  $3  for the sample jars, that could cover probably 2 CL sized models.  

My FW 190 airbrushed with Home Depot paint.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here