News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I BELIVE IN SCALE!  (Read 1223 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I BELIVE IN SCALE!
« on: January 22, 2007, 10:50:32 AM »
          I believe in scale, I believe that there is hard scale and easy scale, I do not understand profile scale. As a young man I built several scale models and even won a few trophies. Back then there was a lot of scale models at every contest and to win you had better have done you homework. The last major contest that I attended (2 years ago) there were three models and two were profiles (profiles?). The full scale model was not even flown and amoung the profiles it was a walk away win for one. What Happened? Where are the scale models and where are the scale modelers?
        As I may have mentioned "I believe in scale!" At Black Hawk Models we produce several SCALE MODEL AIRPLANE KITS and yes they are 1/2A models. I refer to them as the easy scale models as they can be built in hours by people with little skill in building and they can sweep most scale contest. We are looking at moving into the "hard" scale model kits where a lot more attention to detail is required and the models are larger.
        Two of our kits have already won scale contest that were open to all size models. One of the victors was a 14 year old youngster, our hope is that this experance will motivate him to become a master builder of scale models in the years to come.
         People look down upon our kits due to their small size and forget that SCALE has no size limits. Big is nice but look out small is coming. If we can encourage more new builders to enter the hobby, then we are proud of what we are doing.
        BY THE WAY WHERE ARE ALL OF YOU GUYS AND WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR MODELS?
LARRY

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: I BELIVE IN SCALE!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
Well I'll at least answer your last question--I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio and my Profile and FAI competition models are scratch built; my Sport Scale and Fun Scale models are converted R/C kits.

I'll keep my opinions on your other questions to myself.
Chuck

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
I'm a Buckeye too! I am sorry if I offended anyone. I was out of modeling for about 20 years and what a surprise I had when I came back.  :'( Scale contest seem to have fallen by the wayside and no one produces scale models anymore. I feel like I am in OZ. Again I am sorry if I offended.
Larry

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 03:48:23 PM »
Larry--you certainly did not offend me.

Chuck

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »
I started flying U-control back is 1963 (Ringmaster KB 29).  As most do, I went dormant as I raised kids.  I then got into RC in the late 80s.  About a year ago I discovered a U-control club here in Huntsville Alabama.  We have 10 members or so. The local RC club is pushing 300 members.  Big in the RC world is the fly in.  At a big bird - war bird flyins there are as many as 100 really nice models. So the answer is to where the modelers have gone is RC. As for me I found that my first love, U-control, is my true love .  As you can tell from my other posts I plan to build and fly an EXTRA 300S.  I wouldn't call it a beginners project but it will not be FIA class either. I hope to find some stand off scale contest this summer.  I am shopping for a travel trailer and a truck to pull it. (Air conditioned to keep mama happy at a contest).

SO to heck with what others are doing. For me U-control rules. It's all about fun and I am having fun.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 10:50:59 PM »
Larry,
As I recall you are producing a Fokker DVII as a scale kit. Cool for me, as at 48 I can recall as a little boy going to Frank Tallman's Tallmantz Movieland of the Air Museum at Orange County Airport and seeing those airplanes and watching them fly on certain days.

I for the life of me cannot remember when I last saw a real WWI airplane at an airshow that my kids looked at. I watched the Tri-Plane and Camel with a real rotary in it at the Planes of Fame show last year, but the kids were looking at WWII, Korean War jets, and airshow airplanes like the Edge and Extra, and Sukoi's that have spectacular paint jobs to get the kid's attention.

The airplanes that we grew up with aren't too popular with the kids these days. They don't read about Rickenbacker and McCudden in the pulps! But, there are Discovery Channel specials on dogfights and simulator games featuring many different WWII and newer stuff. These ships do attract some youth attention. My ten year olds favorite airplane right now is the P-38. He sees it at the Museum and sees it fly occasionally and he likes it's non-standard look, so it attracts attention.

In my mind a big seller to kids in the hobby shop isn't likely a Fokker DVII. It isn't my cup of tea either, and I won't be buying one. But there is hope. If one's efforts were to ask kid's at the airshow, "what do you like?" and they said "...the Edge, Tumbling Bear Zlin, and the Sea Fury with smoke behind it and the jets...", that might give one an idea of at least some interest in cool and/or older stuff.

I often think of a jet with one of these little electric fans (that really do put out some decent thrust!) that would make jets at least doable, too.

So scale is cool and kids like the models. But; the kids doing it are (like it was when I was a kid) most likely the ones that have dad's that do it too, and will only be motivated if they can find some subject to model that will fire the kids imagination.

Thanks for continuing to produce some interesting kits and subjects not done elsewhere, but if you are going to think about kitting some larger sized scale kits, it would be worth your while, in my opinion only, to make some stuff that will apeal to the children that at least go to the airshow with their folks and see the stuff there. A 36 inch Mig 15 or F-16 would be a really neat model, and they aren't any harder to build than a biplane. But they sure do appeal to the youth. A fifty inch Profile Scale Mustang or full bodied Red Bull Edge would sure be nice, too. These fit into contest events and look the part.

Thanks,
Chris...

Picture is of my eldest son's 1991 Nats winning 1/2A Typhoon. Jeremiah built this when he was ten years old.   

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
         We do have several jet models do to be released this year. We too did the research and agree with you. Two that you might be interested in are Profile Scale MIG 15 and F-86 with a 28" wing span. I must admit that it is hard for me to get my mind around the two terms, "profile" and  "scale", going together. I mean no disrespect to anyone but it is not something that I can understand. In small full bodied scale we have two other jets, from the 50's, to be added to our line. I really hope that we can encourage scale modeling. It is ashame that control liners must look to R/C for their scale models.
         "We are back, we are strong, and we will prevail!"
Larry

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:22:31 AM »
Larry;
    Scale models need to be larger to fly well in all weather conditions. My Ryan NYP has a forty inch wing span weights about 2 lbs and is powered by 0.25, and if there is any wind blowing on contest day I might as well go home. There is no way it is able to slow down and do good touch and goes and landings if there is any wind. My 0.40 size and larger plans weighing 5 to 10 lbs fly much better, or at least they fly consitant even if the nut on the handle doesn't. LL~ LL~

Leroy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:28:08 PM by Bill Little »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here