News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Homer Hudson P-51 "Sharp Shooter"  (Read 8472 times)

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
Re: Homer Hudson P-51 "Sharp Shooter"
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
That is going to give quite a pull!!
I love mustangs H^^

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »
Joshua,
One thing that complicates putting the bellcrank in the wing when the wing is removable is that you have to make provisions for attaching the pushrod. This can be a real hassle. I did this with my HS-129, but prefer the bellcrank in the fuselage of all my other models with removable wing.

Also make sue your bellcrank mount can handle the "g" forces from flight. With a competition model it has to handle the dreaded pull test too.

Chuk

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
Chuck

So, what you are saying is that apart from the dreaded pull test, the only reason for installing the bellcrank in the fuselage is to avoid connecting and disconnecting the elevator push rod every time the wing is mounted to the fuselage or removed?

Joshua

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 02:05:40 PM »
There are a lot of misunderstandings about bellcrank position.  What is important in a control line model is where the leadout guides are relative to the CG.  Remember that the CG is a single position located located longitudinally and vertically.  So it is important that the leadout guides be properly positioned relative to that CG both longitudinally and vertically.  This means the leadout guides on the inboard wing will be several degrees aft of a line perpendicular from the CG (top view of model) to locate the longitudinal position of the leadouts. The size of that angle is determined by the position of the leadouts relative to the CG and is dependent on model weight, speed, and the length and diameter of the control lines.  Those leadout guides should also be at or near the same level as the vertical CG of the model.

It is desirable to locate the bellcrank longitudinally relative to the leadout guides so the leadout cables are raked rearward to allow for the aerodynamic drag of the control lines to minimize the wear of the guides and flex of the cables and attendant drag of the cables through the guides.  (This wear on the guides as well as the drag, or friction, of the cables through those guides is almost of no consequence if there is reasonable alignment of the leadout rake to the control line connections.).  

On a dihedraled wing like on your P-51, having the bellcrank in the wing and the leadouts coming out at the tip means that indeed, the leadouts guides are above the bellcrank position, but those leadout guides are somewhere near (and close enough to) the vertical CG position of the model.  Yes, there will be some flexing required of the leadout as they pass through the guides, but that flexing is of little consequence.  The drag is almost inconsequential and the wear on the guides is of no significance unless you are talking about thousands of flights.

I know, in the earlier years of CL flying, many scale models showed the bellcrank in the fuselage with the leadouts positioned above the wings through a guide above the wing tip.  (Many of Walt Musciano's 3/4" scale designs showed this.)  Please be aware that there have been any number of very successfull CL scale models with low wings and dihedral with the bellcrank in the wing and the leadouts through the tip.  This would include the plans for your Homer Hudson's P-51 Sharp Shooter ( Model airplane News, Jun, 68); Jimmie McCroskey's Senior Scale Nats winning P-51 (MAN, May, 55); Malvin Meador's  Open Scale Nats winning Spitfire (AAM, Dec 72), and any number of successfull published designs.  (I could list a dozen more, but think you should get the point.)

Yes, it is important to have the leadout guides properly positioned relative to the CG.  This is a critical function in the trimming of a CL stunt ship where precision and smoothness in the maneuvers and varying wind conditions while flying through those maneuvers is important.  In a CL scale model, that level of precise leadout position is not nearly as critical.  It is interesting to note that in the pioneering super semiscale stunt designs by Al Rabe, he placed the bellcrank in the wing, the wings have no small amount of dihedral with the leadouts coming out at the tips probably very near the vertical CG of the model. Those systems work and work very well.

Hope this makes sense.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:57:09 PM by Trostle »

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
Joshua, I'm reacting to the CG location factors that Trostle is talking about. I have tried to have the leadout guide on my scale models in line with the vertical location of the CG. On most of them that means the bellcrank was in the fuselage and the guide on top of the wing. I prefer to avoid the loads imposed on the guide when the bellcrank is out of line, even if they are small. Connecting the pushrod while assembling my HS-129 would not be a problem if my hands were 1/4 their current size and if I had three extra joints in my fingers. ;D

Speaking of the bellcrank mount, let me suggest you support the bolt above and below the bellcrank. The pull of an 8 or 10# model puts a lot of overhung load on a bellcrank mounted on a single platform.

Chuck

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
Keith and Chuck

Thank you both so very much for the superb guidance. I read what you both said and fully understand the important relationship between the the guide wires rake angle and the CG location. There is one question though I still have:
I have been a modeler for almost 50 years now and have built, balanced and flown many models. In all these years I cannot remember ONE instance where I balanced a model along the yaw axis (vertically), nor have I ever heard of anyone doing so. At best it would be quite difficult to do and it seems that it is not critical at all. Do you gentlemen actually balance your scale models vertically?

Joshua

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »
Joshua

You might want to check CLW jan '13, pgs 64-67.
It's a good start.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
Marcus

Thanks for the heads-up but not being a PAMPA member I do not have access to CLW.

Joshua

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »
Joshua, I'm reacting to the CG location factors that Trostle is talking about. I have tried to have the leadout guide on my scale models in line with the vertical location of the CG. On most of them that means the bellcrank was in the fuselage and the guide on top of the wing. I prefer to avoid the loads imposed on the guide when the bellcrank is out of line, even if they are small.

Chuck

Chuck,

I am not trying to argue here, but I will explain what I have experienced over the years.  Yes, it is desirable to have the bellcrank line up with the leadouts and lines to minimize the amount of leadout flexing that would otherwise occur at the leadout guides. However, that flexing and the loads imposed by the leadouts on those leadout guides is really not that significant.  I will explain two different real scenarios to illustrate this.

1.  Some time ago, Walter Williamson wrote an article in American Modeler, Jul 66, titled "Case of the Wandering Bellcrank".  In this article, Williamson built a 35 size sport/trainer type model where he could locate the bellcrank in nine positions, from six inches in front of the CG to 10 inches in back of the CG.  The plane flew the same regardless of the bellcrank position.

2.  I mentioned the Rabe semiscale stunt models that all have dihedral.  All of his airplanes have the bellcrank in the wing with the leadouts at the wing tip.  Needless to say, his airplanes perform superbly.  I built the F8F Bearcat from the Rabe plans a "few" years ago with the dihedral shown on the plans.  This has the bellcrank in the wing, essentially near the bottom of the fuselage.  And that is a "rather deep" fuselage.  The leadouts come out the wingtip, probably slightly below the vertical CG.  That airplane has well over 1,000 flights on it over the past 12 years and there is virtually no wear on the 1/8" ID brass eyelets used for the leadout guides.  (The leadouts are cables, not solid wires.)

To me, this all represents that the loads at the leadouts are essentially inconsequential when the bellcrank is not exactly lined up with the lines/leadouts/line rake while the model is in flight.   And this is experience with CL stunt models where the leadout position is a critical item in the trim of those airplanes.  With CL scale, the bellcrank/leadout positions are even less critical as long as the leadout guides are a few degrees aft of the longitudinal CG.

That leadout guide position can be calculated by one of the several programs that have been referenced on these forums.  But for CL scale, Bill Netzeband presented a table that gave examples of appropriate leadout line rake for a wide range of models that would encompass most CL Scale projects.  Lo and behold, those successful scale models I referenced in my previous post and others I have in my file have the leadouts generally in the location that the Netzeband tables suggest.  It really boils down to just have the center of the two leadout guides positioned 2o or 3o behind the longitudinal CG position, (maybe slightly more, like 4o) if heavy lines are used or if the model is really light. The vertical position of the leadout guides should be somewhere in the area of the model's vertical CG. Then position the bellcrank where it makes the most sense to do so based on available space and needed structure to hold the thing.

It is interesting to me that the Homer Hudson plans show the bellcrank in the wing and where the leadouts go.  I do not think there should even be a question about what to do with that airplane.

(By the way, I have your profile Hornet in that file I mentioned.  Bellcrank is in the wing also and yes, the leadouts come out of the bottom of the wing outboard the engine nacelles closer to the tip.   I have stated before that your Hornet sets the standard for what a CL Profile Scale model should look like.  It well deserved the special recognition it received at the 2000 Nats.)

Keith

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:42:14 PM by Trostle »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:53 AM »
Marcus

Thanks for the heads-up but not being a PAMPA member I do not have access to CLW.

Joshua

Hi Joshua,

CLW=Control Line World, a Brodak product and not connected to PAMPA.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »
Thanks Bill. I am not subscribed to it either.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 05:47:38 AM »
Joshua

You could try contacting Clancy Arnold, he wrote the article.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
Joshua, no I don't balance my models vertically. I make a guess based on side view distribution of area (like nacelles below the wing), location of engine and expected mass of landing gear.

Keith, We're not arguing; we're focused on different aspects. I am more of an engineer and believer in Newton's laws than I am a serious C/L aerodynamics person, and I have always "known" that the bellcrank could be anywhere. My models were all built for competition and as such I tried to reduce any factor that could negatively affect scoring. My Typhoon and HS-129 both weigh 15# and line tension is probably over 30# (more if I open the throttle wide).  This is very different from any stunt or sport model I've flown, but reminiscent of my class 2 carrier Dark Shark from the Consolidated kit. I figure the CG is going to try very hard to be directly outboard the leadout guide. That sets up the potential for the model to be rolled from wings level flight. This rolling moment is what I've tried to avoid.

Thanks for the compliments on the Hornet. It worked so well that I never had a desire to build a replacement. I still fly it on the rare occasions when I enter a contest and it is still competitive. Being a profile model, the wing is a rational place to put the bellcrank. And with the engines and bulk of nacelles are below the wing, the vertical CG is undoubtedly below the wing too. Originally it may have had the pushrod hidden in the fuselage (or maybe that was an XF-5-F that preceeded it). I had to rebuild from a crash and put the pushrod external where it could be attached easily.

Chuck

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here