News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HARL ("Harley"-"Hal" "Charlie" )BRACKEN'S AMAZING BOEING 80A-A1 Display model  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Years ago.....around 1966-67?...or so....
It was LUCKY DAY when I  first had the opportunity to met the amazing Harley Bracken of the old Boeing "Historical Service" at a model contest in Tacoma Wa.

I think it was Benny Madsen who introduced me to this genius who's love and passion for detailed Display models led the pathway for my second career at the Boeing Company.

During those years, many of my fellow stunt model addicts such as Joe Dill, Gary Letsinger, Bob Parker also help "OPEN THE DOORS TO THE WIND TUNNEL" where I had the pleasure of just being around model builders with skills and talent that I could only begin to understand or have hopes of becoming a better model builder. Talk about a humbling experience...but at the same time...at long last have "a job" that I loved to get up out of bed before the sun came up...and be at the bench at 6:AM!
THANK GOD! Since being a night person...and an outside travelin' wholesale photofinishing saleman for camera shops and drug stores throughout Ore. & Wa. before joining the Boeing Wind tunnel model team...the thought of GETTIN' OUTTA THE SACK BEFORE 8:30 IN THE MORNING WAS TOTALLY NOT MY NATURE.

TO MY TOTAL AMAZEMENT...Harley BRACKEN invited this old SHULTZIE...for a tour of the amazing archives that was hidden away in the old 2-63 bldg. at Plant 2 in Seattle.
Not only did he give me some pretty amazing photos to take home with me....my real prize was A FULL SIZE "BLACK PRINT DISPLAY MODEL 80-A that he and the amazing R. PARKS had produced in Feb. of 1965.

WOW! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS...I FOUND THIS OLD GIFT PLAN, yesterday in an old box of stunt model plans...Although I was more than thrilled, I was also quite alarmed to see how yellowed and degraded this once pristene plan has become.
What a treasure however for ANY DISPLAY MODEL BUILDER...who is seeking the ultimate model for a building project. This has got to be a   REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAL CHALLENGE.
 THE MODEL 80 SPECS. ARE:
Fuslage length is around  28 inches or so...but the plan is 14 feet in full length by 36.
Check out these attachments for a good daily surf.
first one is a scan of the 80's Parker-Bracken beauty (photos to follow after processing)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:30:04 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
Hey Don here's one for you. When I was a kid in the mid 50s my dad was stationed at Ft. Richardson. We lived in an apartment next to Merrill Field in Anchorage. Being an airplane nut even then I would hang out around the airport and watch airplanes come and go. Next to the airport was a big meadow with a couple of abandoned airplanes. One was pretty much in one piece but no engines and sitting on 55 gal drums. It was real cool because you could move all the controls in the cockpit and see them move on the wings and tail. Lots of missions were flown by us kids in that old dilapidated airframe.Years later I was at Sea-Tac and there was a very familiar airplane on display in the center of the airport foyer. My old friend from childhood was all restored and sitting there in all it's glory! I hardly recognized her! Years later when I got done with the Airforce and raising kids I got back into toy airplanes and met up with Shawn Parker. We started flying some serious carrier and your name came up. Did Shawn know you? Well I guess so! You know that story. Also it turns out Shawns dad Bob worked on the restoration of the 80A.
Small world!                    Mike Potter
mike potter

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Hey Don here's one for you. When I was a kid in the mid 50s my dad was stationed at Ft. Richardson. We lived in an apartment next to Merrill Field in Anchorage. Being an airplane nut even then I would hang out around the airport and watch airplanes come and go. Next to the airport was a big meadow with a couple of abandoned airplanes. One was pretty much in one piece but no engines and sitting on 55 gal drums. It was real cool because you could move all the controls in the cockpit and see them move on the wings and tail. Lots of missions were flown by us kids in that old dilapidated airframe.Years later I was at Sea-Tac and there was a very familiar airplane on display in the center of the airport foyer. My old friend from childhood was all restored and sitting there in all it's glory! I hardly recognized her! Years later when I got done with the Airforce and raising kids I got back into toy airplanes and met up with Shawn Parker. We started flying some serious carrier and your name came up. Did Shawn know you? Well I guess so! You know that story. Also it turns out Shawns dad Bob worked on the restoration of the 80A.
Small world!                    Mike Potter
Shawn...YES! WHAT A BEAUTIFULLY GIFTED SOUL... JUST LIKE YOU...AND LIKE HIS DADDIO' BOB!
All of us met so long ago...and it is a shame that I have fallen through the model airplane cracks far and away too long and that I haven't stayed in contact with Shawn, Bob...and U Mikey Potter.
Thanks for that great story about the airplane.

Check out this photo...(who is that little kiddie peeking out that window on that old hulk? GADS IT LOOKS LIKE MIKEEEEEEE! LL~
here is some really poor shots of that great 14 foot working scale model plan
Don Shultz

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
  That is about what it looked like! I seem to remember it sitting on oil drums, but that was more than 50 years ago. We sure flew that old tub a lot!
  I built my first U-C about then too. It was a Scientific Beechcraft Bonanza hollow log. I used an Atwood .049 and painted it with orange and white Testors model paint. We fueled it up and the paint ran off onto the ground. That is when I learned about fuel proof dope! Never did get to fly it.  Mike
mike potter

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Thanks Mike.....Thanks for sharing that great 80-A story with us...
Ahhh...yes the trials and tribs...those days when we started the hobby on our own..without mentorship or close friends who flew control lines or even built any kind of models for that matter.
Amazing that so many of us continued to build and fly models for so many years..huh?
Sad to admit....
"THOSE THAT DO--DO! THOSE THAT DON'T (LIKE ME...JUST REM-MOE-NISS' ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAZE!" I doubt if i will ever build another...however.  :'(
Don Shultz

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
And your reason for not building another one is _________________ (and it better be a good one!) ???
mike potter

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
And your reason for not building another one is _________________ (and it better be a good one!) ???
-----------------------------REASONS FOR NOT BUILDING???
 Pretty darned dumb,blind...an too many damaged brain cells BUT MOST OF ALL JUST TOO DAMNED LAZY H^^LL~
Plus after looking at those beautifully crafted models of your....Mike!!! I would be too imbare-aazzzed to show up with my crap stuff. y1 <=

I found more hidden away BOEING 80-A STUFF THAT IS JUST SOOO AWESOMELY BEAUTIFUL.
Don Shultz

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
The only one I'll even consider as an excuse is the lazy one, we all suffer with that one and I really think it is more a lack of motovation than lazy. As far as artistic quality and craftmanship Don Schultz has always been one of the best in the west in all of our books! And always will be. And that's the truth  <=
mike potter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here