News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:13:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Instrument Panel Color?  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Instrument Panel Color?
« on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »
I need an instrument panel for another model. No, absolutely not anything like the Mig-3 panel.

This panel will be printed on photo paper, simple simple, and just glued in.

I started drawing one in Photoshop back in 2001, yes, just about 16 years ago. My PC files say I last worked on it in 2003.

Anyway, I dig it up to take a peek and decided I'll use it.

I did go on line to look at instrument panels. There are many different colored panels.

I'm at a loss as to what color my panel should be?

A Photoshop image, where a simple click or two can change the color.

Here's four samples with different background colors. Colors are a bit off. My favorite is the beige.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Instrument Panel Color?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »
If you're doing a scale model, it should be the color of the instrument panel in the prototype aircraft, at the same time that all the other pictures you're working off of were taken.

If you're just doing it to please yourself, it should be whatever color you want.

If you don't know what the original had, do some research, find pictures of instrument panels of similar aircraft, and make something up.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »
YOu can look up what the standard colors are for particular countries.  Like the German WW2 panel color is RLM 66.

Keep in mind, in all but FAI scale classes,  cockpits are not judged.  But I know we all want to be accurate regardless.  Should be easy to find out, but you did not give enough info for any of us to know.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
I agree with the others....if its scale, its got to be a scale colour.  If its not a scale plane, maybe something that reflects the outside colour your going to use? H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
I don't know why I placed it in scale, it's not for a scale aircraft? Well, it was in 2001, actually semi-scale so I wasn't all that fussy.

I'm still not all that fussy.

The panel in the photo isn't a photo taken of any panel. Hard to believe, but, I actually drew it from scratch in Photoshop. Yes I know, lots of work, but I did it a bit at a time over three year. I finished the thing in 2003.

I like the beige but the teal isn't bad either. Bad teal color on the monitor, but that can be altered at printing.

Thanks for the replies.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
I agree with the others....if its scale, its got to be a scale colour.  If its not a scale plane, maybe something that reflects the outside colour your going to use? H^^

Glenn,

Hey! Hey!

That's a good idea. I haven't given the color scheme any thought yet but I guess I should now that you have brought it up.

I don't have a favorite color.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
its your dang airplane, just make up your mind and do it the color you want,, you dont need input,, you are an artist right? but your going to trust someone else to decide?? that doesnt make sense to me ( I am an artist and I wont let anyone decide for me on color schemes,,)

Ok I came back to add this, most are either dark charcoal or flat black. its a matter of glare, or more correctly preventing glare.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:31:31 PM by Mark Scarborough »
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 06:50:04 PM »
Here is one from my 1/5th TA 152 H.  Expert Sportsman class.  I like the RLM 66 panel color. It is typical to many aircraft.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »
Rich,

Nice work.  H^^  What is the span on that model?

Because I designed this panel back in 2001-2003, I thought I'd do a quick update.

A more contemporary look for a GA panel.

Not sure about the gray background but that's easily changed.

This might be a better look.

Charles

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »
118" 1/5th scale.  David Andersen designed TA 152 H

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
I changed my mind again on that panel I did back in 2003. Even with the current update it doesn't cut it.

Soooooooooooooo, I put together another one using parts from many panels and the magic of Photoshop.

I took the photo before I closed off all the items I used in the panel, lots of layers.

Colors will be different when printed.

I got the colors I wanted on the second printing.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
I added a bit of color to the panel.

Makes a bit of a difference.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »
Funny because things aren't always what they seem.

A simple panel? Well not really.

Here's the completed project printed in two of the colors I'm considering.

There is a back seat and side panels. I certainly changed the panel, but made no changes to the side panels.

An interesting project this was for a scratch built Photoshop project.

Now I have to get the cockpit completed.

Charles

Oh, I almost forgot. Photo should be large enough to print.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »
Hi Charles.  If I were a pilot and choosing a colour for my personal airplane, I would go with the tan colour.  The other colour seems a bit too loud; busy on the eye if you know what I mean.  Anywho....my two cents worth! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:02 AM »
Hi Charles.  If I were a pilot and choosing a colour for my personal airplane, I would go with the tan colour.  The other colour seems a bit too loud; busy on the eye if you know what I mean.  Anywho....my two cents worth! H^^

Hey! Hey!

Glenn, my only Poster!

Check this out.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
Flat black or dark gray is a good guess.  They usually try to eliminate glare.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
Flat black or dark gray is a good guess.  They usually try to eliminate glare.

Paul,

Probably won't be black or gray. Glenn's tan color choice may just be a good one.

However, my mind isn't made up.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 09:55:24 AM »
Thought I'd post an up to date photo.

The teal could work, but I may go with the tan.

None of these parts are glued in place yet and the panels were not printed on gloss photo paper.

CB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
Well, I have to decide on this, it's time to assemble these parts and Epoxy them in place permanently. I dialed down the teal to a shade of light blue.

I cut up both prints just to get an idea.

I like them both.

CB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
I'm Posting a step by step on the parts made for this cockpit at CFC Graphics vendor's corner.

See you there!

CB

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:20:08 PM by Avaiojet »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here