News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Scale Turnout at NW Regionals in Roseberg,Oregon/Thank U Tim Wescott  (Read 1737 times)

Online Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
We had 12 entries at the Northwest Regionals in Roseberg,Oregon on Saturday this weekend. I will post more information later.
Notable were some people who have not flown in a contest for a while that were very competitive and very experienced Scale Builders , with excellent
documentation Oren Humpries and Al Culver . Al is a friend of Pat Johnston in Boise Idaho. John Wright and Burt Brokaw were also there.
As well as Bob Lewis from Roseberg Oregon. John Wright was the Grand Champion with a 1st place in Profile Scale and Sport Scale, He got second place in 1/2 A scale by a few points and Second in Fun Scale. Burt Brokaw was 1st in Fun Scale with an Excellent Flying P-51 Mustang with Retracts and a good power plant.Oren Humpries was first in 1/2 A scale with a neat twin
engine YF-12A Blackbird , All 1/2 A entries were twin engine and they got both engines running well for their flights ,Orens' cut out at the same time!
Al Culver has a beautiful built up wing biplane( twin engine 1/2 A). I did not take any pictures as I was a very busy event director. I did the static on 5 planes on Friday night and talked the pilots into getting the remaining planes to me by 9 AM Saturday for static judging ( The contest flyer said static at 10 AM but Roseberg winds are not nice after early morning.) We started flying at 10:15 and finished at around 2:30.  Al Culver had a beautiful Bonzo ( built up fuse)that flew well after adding lots of nose weight, Oren Humpries has an immaculate T-34 also .(Built up fuse) also. John Wright flew his Trusty Cessna 192 also built up .We saw some very good piloting skills especially John Wright with his Profile Scale Corsair with K&B 40 ,and Burt flew really well with the Mustang .
and a .60 for power .John Thompson took lots of pictures and I saw some on facebook that others took.  I will post the scores later when I unpack the car . A HUGE Thank you to Tim Westcott who hopped in at the last second to help me , as my scheduled assistant could not make it. Tim basically rescued me from being buried in papers while trying to get everyone flying on time. He calmed my nerves and was a Big part in getting the pilots flying before the winds came up.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:43:23 PM by Walter Hicks »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.

Any photos?  :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
I was not able to take any there are some on this forum under Regionals Pictures  Gary Dowler , and there will be lots in the upcoming
Flying Lines- News letter NW C/L Model avaition which is The website that is for the local clubs for the area. Unfortunately I do not know how to post the link. You can access it from Phil Brown CL Site under clubs and organizations.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
I was not able to take any there are some on this forum under Regionals Pictures  Gary Dowler , and there will be lots in the upcoming
Flying Lines- News letter NW C/L Model avaition which is The website that is for the local clubs for the area. Unfortunately I do not know how to post the link. You can access it from Phil Brown CL Site under clubs and organizations.

They don't have the report for the Regionals yet -- John Thompson is probably still sleeping after putting on the contest.  Here is the link to the main page.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Update of Contestants and their planes with scores:

1/2 A  - Orin Humphries , YF-12A Blackbird         1st Place        114.5  Points
          - John Wright,  Bristol Beaufighter MK 1    2nd Place       110     Points
          - Al Culver, DH-89                                   3rd  Place       79.5    Points

Fun Scale
          -Burt Brokaw,P-51C                                 1st Place        109     Points
          -John Wright, Zero                                   2nd Place       94.5    Points
          -Orin Humphries,Monocoupe                     3rd Place       64       Points
          -Bob Lewis,Hellcat                                    4th Place       34.5    Points

Profile Scale
          -John Wright,FG-1D Corsair                       1st Place        174   Points
          -Al Culver, Convair COIN                            2nd Place       125  Points

Sport Scale
          -John Wright, Cessna 195                          1st Place       174 Points
          -Orin Humphries, T-34C                             2nd Place      163 Points
          -Al Culver,Bonzo                                        3rd Place       138 Points 

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Great Scale Turnout at NW Regionals in Roseberg,Oregon/Thank U Tim Wescott
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 10:57:31 PM »
I saw the pictures, some really nice models. Al Culver's model is of Boo Ray, a Formula 1 racer from the 60's.
Chris...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
I saw the pictures, some really nice models. Al Culver's model is of Boo Ray, a Formula 1 racer from the 60's.
Chris...

His DH-89 was superb.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »
His DH-89 was superb.
It was indeed spectacular, probably the best looking 1/2A Ive ever seen.  It was amazing, right up until it crashed.  Its never fun to watch someone crash, but that one was completely avoidable. He placed his leadouts in the wrong spot which caused it to roll in on him instantly. Up, roll in, over, in on him (fortunately he ducked in time) and bang.  Whole flight lasted 3 seconds.
I spoke to Al later that afternoon and he said he was going to repair it and we might see it again.  I sure hope so, it was too pretty not to bring back.

Moral of the story, fly your airplane before arriving at the contest.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here