News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Planes Extra 300S 60 Kit .61-.90,64"  (Read 1728 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Great Planes Extra 300S 60 Kit .61-.90,64"
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:33:52 PM »
Well I have my next project under way. I have bought and started to build a Great Planes Extra 300S 60 Kit .61-.90,64"   I have a very strong ST 90 RC that will provide power. A search of the web turned up Bob's Aircraft Documentation service.  I have bought from him the photos and 3 view drawings Of tail # N76PK.  I chose this one because it is a straight line paint job, is a US owned airplane and has a 3 bladed prop. It looks like it will have 6 servos: 2 for flaps, 1 for elevator, 1 for rudder (adjust line tension on the fly.), 1 for throttle and one for smoke. A scanned in copy of one of his photos is attached.

This brings me to my question - How do I apply the finish.  Does Monokote work well in stand off scale or do I need to cover it in silkspan and paint.  This is a shiny aircraft so Monokote should look OK.  I have done quit a bit of Monokote in the past and have had some success.  The big issue is the decals.  I plan to make my own. I don't know how well they will stick to Monokote.

If I can get it all to work I will looking for stand off scale contest, next summer, that are close to north Alabama.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Great Planes Extra 300S 60 Kit .61-.90,64"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:59:18 AM »
Hi John,

Dale Campbell (World Scale Team member) is sponsoring scale at the MCLS meets in Huntersville.  June, and October.

Hope to see you there.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 06:28:13 AM »
John,
A technical point regarding the rules, and especially the contest in Huntersville next June: The FAI rules very specifically state that the elevation control of the model must be by mechanical means. Your servo driven elevator would not be acceptable in FAI competition and the Huntersville contest will be per the FAI rules. My reading of the AMA control line general regs makes me believe your approach is OK in AMA classes, but the wording is such that I can imagine someone reading it to say the mechanical link is required by AMA too.
Chuck Snyder

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
John,
A technical point regarding the rules, and especially the contest in Huntersville next June: The FAI rules very specifically state that the elevation control of the model must be by mechanical means. Your servo driven elevator would not be acceptable in FAI competition and the Huntersville contest will be per the FAI rules. My reading of the AMA control line general regs makes me believe your approach is OK in AMA classes, but the wording is such that I can imagine someone reading it to say the mechanical link is required by AMA too.
Chuck Snyder

This makes it a whole new ballgame.  I do not plan to inter FIA competition with this airplane.  All I had in mind was AMA stand-off scale.  It is obvious to the most casual observer that a model with removable wings will be a bear to rig flaps and evaluator without servos.  Besides on this big of a model control forces are high and servos provide the muscle. 

Anyway I will read the AMA rules and see if I proceeded.  It’s all about fun and it would not be fun to spend 500 hours building a model to be told you can’t fly in my back yard.

One other thought - my model will rely on the two lines between the handle and the model for  elevation control.  It has a bell crank just like any U-control.  Lines go slack--- model will carsh. ?????

Thanks for the heads up.  This is what makes the forum the best!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:09:37 AM »
Well the wings are almost framed up on my Extra 300S.  This is a fixed gear low wing aircraft that will have a removable wing.  Is there any reason why I can't run the lines external to the wing.  I would like to have the leadouts sticking out of the fuselage above the wing.  The flight lines would then pass through line guides on the wing tip. The line guide could be part of wing tip sight triangles.  This way the control system will not be in the wing making it easy to remove the wing.  ???  y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »
I do that all the time. I also reinforce between the bellcrank mounts and the left side of the fuselage so there is a strong point to hold during pull tests. I make adjustable guides for all my scale models that screw to the tip. They are permanently part of the lines and are not on the model during the static judging. On a low wing model this is probably better than having the bellcrank in the wing because the bellcrank and leadout guide are closer to the vertical CG.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »
Chuck,
Is there anything wrong with having a bolt in handle to the bellcrank tray to hold onto during the pull test? This way one wouldn't have to manhandle the finish during the arduous process!
Chris...

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 06:38:08 AM »
Chris,
Without looking up chapter and verse of the pull test rules I would suspect that any type of fixture would not be acceptable. The basis for the pull test concept is to test the model's ability to handle the centrifugal loads throughout its structure.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 08:04:14 AM »
Chuck,

AS I understand it, pilot holds the model, pull test scale hooks to the handle. Hopefully one can hold one's own model withought hurting it.  y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »
that is the way it has been done everywhere I've been

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »
John, reading your post and admiring the Extra 300 has broght to the forefront an idea that I have had on and off over the years as regarding scale and PA.........:-)
I think that it would be great if there was a SCALE PA  class in c/l.
There are so many really fantastic aerobatic airplanes to chose from and even beginner, intermediate, and open class. I think that it would be a challenging and interesting additional event......:-)
100 percent scale outlines and volums and a displacement to wing area rule...Oh, and scale airfoils.................:-)  Clipped wing T,Crats, and J3s and Citabrias among others for beginner, Pits Specials, Christian Eagles, and Steen Skybolts for Intermediate, and Sukois, Extras, and Yaks for open.....along with many others that are suietable for each class...........what ya think??

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »
Hi John,

Dale Campbell (World Scale Team member) is sponsoring scale at the MCLS meets in Huntersville.  June, and October.

Hope to see you there.

Bill <><

Where can I find out more about the Huntersville scale contest.  What are the dates and will they be hosting stand-off (fun) scale? I won't be ready for the June but October looks like a must do!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 06:39:22 PM »
John, The Huntersville contest has scale on that Saturday. They do a flight only event; NO static judging. Any airplane can be flown and they don't have a builder of the model rule. But the flight judging is by the FAI (F4B) rules which require a slightly more complex flight plan. They waive the penalty for non functional retracts. Check the contest calendar on the AMA site for a link to their information. Great bunch of guys there in and around Huntersville and a nice flying site too. I hope to be able to attend.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
Tom Farmers ship. Nice and a very good flier.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 08:55:23 AM »
Tom Farmers ship. Nice and a very good flier.
Wow! #^  Hope mine looks as good.  Does anyone know what powers Tom's Extra and how hard does it pull.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 03:58:36 PM »
that is the way it has been done everywhere I've been

John and Chuck,
I asked because I want to build a model that weighs the same as a stunter. Like a 60 inch Raven to 70-75 ounces. I suppose that the bellcrank structure could be just like the stunters and it will be fine. I've seen guys with their arms wrapped around their scale ships, huffing and puffing to get the big pull test numbers and figured if we were testing the control system it would be easier to screw a suitcase handle into the bellcrank mount. Save on indentations into the finish and such. If not, I'll build around the problem.

For sure one can trim the model so as to never get near the awesome pounds of pull the pull test is trying to represent!

Thanks,
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here