News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gosney's Ryan 200 special.  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Gosney's Ryan 200 special.
« on: December 12, 2007, 03:32:49 PM »
My new project is Gosney's Ryan STA 200 special. The old Sig kit, alto all I am using are some of the molded parts and the plans. I think I can make this a lighter airplane with new technology and lighter wood. (A Satio 91 four stroke for power.)
My question; Is this airplane still based at Rockford, IL.? I would like to come a take many pictures and look it over real close. I did this with the Waco 105 classic while it was being built at the factor at Battlecreek, MI. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
Re: Gosney's Ryan 200 special.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »
Allen;
    If you have the N number we could look it up on line at the FAA site. Or I should say I'll have a friend of mine at work do it. He is always looking up the location of airplanes. He looked up some of the airplanes I flew as a student in the 70s.

Leroy

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:14:46 AM »
Alan,

Sorry to have to bring you bad news, but the John Gosney RYAN STA SPECIAL was crashed and destroyed on July 10, 1981.  The pilot was killed, but it was not John Gosney. 

You can go to this web site to read the NTSB accident report:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=26413&key=0#

The pilot killed was a friend of Gosney's.  John was letting him fly the airplane.  The report says the pilot was a commerical pilot, 42 years old, 12,000 total hours, 2 hours in the Ryan.  Evidently he split-S'ed right into the ground.

N-number search shows that John Gosney still has the number N27JG:
http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi?pass=99036248&ref=-&mtd=41&cgi=%2Fcgi-bin%2Fnph-search_nnr&var=0&buf=66&src=_landings%2Fpages%2Fsearch_nnr.html&nnumber=27JG

Mike Gretz

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »
Thanks Leroy and Mike. I guess I'll go to plan B. I have loved this airplane sense the 70's (I think it was) when I first saw it in a magazine.
It has taken 30+ years to get here. Hope I can do this model as proud as the modelers before me.

Blessings
Allen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here