News:

• April 20, 2024, 12:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Golden Age Scale Racing  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Golden Age Scale Racing
« on: September 24, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
This follows-up on Chuck Snyder's comment about Golden Age racing.

This was one great event.  Museum quality built up fuselage scale models of Thompson and Bendix Cup racers running two and three up in a series of qualifying and main events.  Planes used .40 engines, minimum 11 inch prop, and 36 inch wingspan.  Speeds Typically in the 80 to 95mph range.  Here we had scale models that really flew like the real thing.  They went fast and turned left! The perfect event combining aviation history, model building craft and hands-on competition.  Don't mistake for the cartoon scale team race and proto events.

Cincinnati's Historic Lunken Airport was the site for many events.  A few were held in North Carolina but never generated much interest among a more limited stunt audience.

Need to figure out how to post photos of a few of the planes.

Clayton Smith
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Golden Age Scale Racing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 03:42:59 PM »
This follows-up on Chuck Snyder's comment about Golden Age racing.

This was one great event.  Museum quality built up fuselage scale models of Thompson and Bendix Cup racers running two and three up in a series of qualifying and main events.  Planes used .40 engines, minimum 11 inch prop, and 36 inch wingspan.  Speeds Typically in the 80 to 95mph range.  Here we had scale models that really flew like the real thing.  They went fast and turned left! The perfect event combining aviation history, model building craft and hands-on competition.  Don't mistake for the cartoon scale team race and proto events.

Cincinnati's Historic Lunken Airport was the site for many events.  A few were held in North Carolina but never generated much interest among a more limited stunt audience.

Need to figure out how to post photos of a few of the planes.

Clayton Smith

Hi Clayton,

I mentioned those a couple months back.  I remember them at Huntersville one year.

Dale Campbell had a "profile" racer about that time, *I think*.

Bill <><

P.S. did you get my email??????????
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 03:22:29 PM »
I woul really love to see a Scale Goodyear
event using full fuselage .15 size planes.  LA 15, or a comparable engine, with no modifications allowed.  10% nitro max.  Heck, I wouldn't mind doing the old 15 size Goodyear if the engines were restricted to a plain bearing off the shelf engine.  I still have the old American Modeler that "introduced" this event..........

Strange thing is that I am really itching to build a "scale" plane, but to have it either be a stunt ship or a racer.

For the 15 full fuselage event I would like to see a pretty strict adherence to scale outlines, no real deviation to help the planes.  No hot gloves or fast fills.  They would have to be built with the original markings and paint scheme of the plane as it actually competed.  Take the engine completely out of the equation, box stock, and have scale judging points to add to the score.

I do have a very scale stunt plane in the beginning stages with help from Ron Burn.  If all works out, it will be KILLER!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:01:50 AM »
We have an event like that it is called B team race with up to 29 size engines the appeal for you scale folks is that appearance points count and any goodyear or bendix racers are OK and would be welcomed in this event.
Check out the rules here http://www.nclra.org/Rules/B-TR/index.html

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
We have an event like that it is called B team race with up to 29 size engines the appeal for you scale folks is that appearance points count and any goodyear or bendix racers are OK and would be welcomed in this event.
Check out the rules here http://www.nclra.org/Rules/B-TR/index.html

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the link to the rules.  I had no idea that the B-Team Race event is what it is.  Now I know!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:34:19 AM »
Interest in "B" team race is increasing. The Dallas club talked about it at our meeting this past week. The draw is that they look like airplanes!

The  more scale approach in Cleveland looks interesting too. The airplanes are larger and things like the original wheel pants really dress them up!

I think that there is more interest now in building good looking airplanes for more events. I hope this trend continues, whether it is racing or carrier or anything else.

I believe that the  "good looks" in stunt has always helped the event, and now we are  seeing more semi scale there too. I hope these trends continue. It is very healthy.
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here