News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:54:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gee Bee Z, "R/C to CL" conversion.  (Read 34867 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Gee Bee Z, "R/C to CL" conversion.
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
I have been thinking about converting my Gee Bee Z to CL. I've mentioned it.

I'm not sure I'm up to it?

This project, to do it right, won't be as easy as it may seem.

Knocked myself out just getting the wire landing gear all set up yesterday and this morning, and placing the wire for the flying wires. I never should have sold my Miller Mig welder.  n~

Required taking this apart and assembling the gear many times. There's 24 pieces here and a few more are required. Pieces that have to be created to hold flying wires.

Now I know why I never finished my second 90" Gee Bee Z. You forget as time goes by and when you move onto other projects.

Fortunately the Gee Bee Z is already framed. Still, there's plenty to be done to complete this model nicely.

Decisions? Go figure.

Charles

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:17:33 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Gee Bee Z, "R/C to CL" conversion.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
Go for it Charles.  I'll be watching for sure.  The R-1 and Z are my wifes favourite airplanes, so she may peek in as well! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Go for it Charles.  I'll be watching for sure.  The R-1 and Z are my wifes favourite airplanes, so she may peek in as well! H^^

I don't know Glenn. I just spent almost two hours tweeking the gear. Have to get the wire centered in the wheel pants, both sides.

Took that thing apart and back together again three times.

I do have other projects waiting in the wings I could be working on. Much easier projects.

However, maybe it's about time I made some progress with the GBZ.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
Well,

As I said, I got the cobwebs off the Gee Bee Z and put some time in today.

Yes, I have been neglecting the Mig-3 but that will happen shortly.

So you think scale modeling is easy? !  n~

Unfortunately all the Gee Bee's had SS flying wires. I have to allow for the install of them well before the model progresses beyond what it currently is.

The gear is centered, but I will add the wheels for the last test. Off and on again. If you look really really close, you can see the .125" arm I soldered in place. This arm will have attached to it, what is needed so I have a place to attach the flying wires.

This template is for the placement and making of the flying wire holes. Four sides, two holes to a side. Gotta get them on the money. Or, I'll be patching the misplaced holes.

Yes, the holes are smaller than needed. Just to be sure.

Charles

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:18:37 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »
So you think scale is easy!

I said there were to be flying wires. On a model like this, 1/5 scale, they are really obvious.

So, they have to be done right and set up for easy installation once the model is painted.

I have to invent a method, which I have.

Here's the start. Wing openings were cut and soft balsa blocks were installed.

Photos show where I'm trying to get them flush.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:19:50 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 06:44:19 AM »
If you have interest in scale model building and you're watching this thread,
could you please "sign in." You don't have to have built a scale model.

I'm not interested in comments or "nice job," I'd just like to get a handle as to the numbers of modelers who have interest in scale.

Charles

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
I don't build anything if it doesn't at least resemble a real airplane.  Now get to work!!  That "Z" has been waiting how long? LL~ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
I guess if you do not want comment, don't post? Makes sense to me.
Contact Greg Davis in Salmon Arm B.C. to find a
Real scale builder" and ask about his 1/3 scale Baby Bullet that he is building.

Good luck with the Gee Bee.

nice job by the way

Ken

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
I guess if you do not want comment, don't post? Makes sense to me.
Contact Greg Davis in Salmon Arm B.C. to find a
Real scale builder" and ask about his 1/3 scale Baby Bullet that he is building.

Good luck with the Gee Bee.

nice job by the way

Ken

Ken,

You may have miss read my Post, or possibly I wasn't clear.

Threads get a greater percentage of hits than replies. So it seems many guys don't want to reply yet they look.

My interest is in how many hits are guys interested in scale.

You would hope there would be enough interest in your model that "everyone" would comment.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
yes, I misunderstood. My error Charles.

Scale in the ultimate challenge in modeling of any kind.....I think the skills are genetic. I for one do not have it. A buddy of mine (Barry Hobkirk) built a Nats winner Spirit of St Louis when he was 16. The gauges in it actually worked as he ran them from a pressure tap manifold he made. The rest of us would stand back in reverence. Then go fly combat.....:)

Greg Davis is building a beauty 1/3 scale B Bullet and is of the same mold as Barry....I can't even begin to describe the work so far. The landing gear alone is amazing g to construct. I'll try to get a picture posted here.

K

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »
Ken,

Photos would be great, but see if you can come up with "links."

You can Post photos and links right here.

Thanks,

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »
Couple of hours got me some progress on the Gee Bee Z.

Yes, that's tin soldered to the rudder wire. Had difficulty keeping a plywood one attached to the R/C Gee Bee Z I built eons ago.

This one won't ever come apart or crack.

Charles
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:20:44 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
Good thing I know something about sheetmetal layout.  #^

Holes do make this piece of .032 aluminum lighter.

Flying wires will be attached to the end of this piece.

I'm thinking I might put the Gee Bee Z aside and work on the Stuka Tank Byster.

The Stuka is almost ready for surface detail and paint.

Decisions?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:21:33 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:33:46 AM »
Continuing with the flying wire setup.

That aluminum strip is bent back so I have twice the thickness of the .032. Also, if you lean in and look really really close, you can see brass bushings that were pressed in place, two on each side.

I'll put a loop of thread around each bushing hole so's not to loose any of them during handling.

Brick by brick.

Charles

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:22:22 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »
A bunch of work for elastic flying wires.  n~

Posibly a photo or two tonight.

BTW. I've removed some weight. I removed two .125" steel aileron torque tubes and a bunch of unneeded wood.

I'll try to get more weight off the Gee Bee Z.

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 02:50:32 PM »
You've been talking about doing this for a long time now.....I'm real glad your at it finally!  I love this airplane! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »
You've been talking about doing this for a long time now.....I'm real glad your at it finally!  I love this airplane! H^^

Glenn,

I've had this thing framed since the 90's. But I strongly believe I should finish the Stuka Tank Buster first.

Thinking about it.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »
"When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong."

A line from the movie Dirty Dancing.

Measure twice and cut once. Well, you get the idea.

In any event, I had to fix a mistake. I put the flying wire ends at the wrong place. Would anyone have known? Probably not, but I couldn't live with the error.

Yea, a bit of work, but worth every bit of it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:23:13 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 11:13:58 AM »
No Holiday keeps me from my model building. That's not a line to any movie.

No guests till 5:00PM so this gave me a bit of time to work on the Gee Bee Z.

I mentioned attaching flying wires in a previous photo and the stuff needed would be attached to the wire gear and that stuff will have the flying wires attached to.

Here's that stuff, an aluminum strip I cut from .032 sign stock. .5" wide.

A bit of creativity and it gets the job done. You really have to give thought to scale modeling because you sometines need ideas and methods that have to become part of the model and not part of a problem.

The model does have to be disassmebled before paint and, if designed correctly, easy to assemble after paint, or for repairs.

I don't have to worry about repairs because I don't fly my models.   LL~ LL~ LL~

Yes, I'm kidding. I can't wait to finish and fly this Gee Bee Z. I just need a non grass field.

BTW. These wheelpants have been removed and replaced a few dozen times to figure things out for fit or to complete tasks.

Scale modeling is certainly an interesting and challenging area of the hobby, I wish there were more modelers participating in scale modeling.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:42:05 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »
I ended my Thamksgiving day with Hawthorn Flying Wires.

Not a bad rendition for the time invested, and the model is just sport scale.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:38:09 PM by Avaiojet »

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 10:08:53 PM »
So how did you make those flying wires....store bought or fabricated?
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
So how did you make those flying wires....store bought or fabricated?

Glenn,

Hey! Hey! My only Scale Poster.   LL~ LL~ LL~

I actually made these flying wires myself.

What I did was, I machined an original flying wire from high grade steel bar stock. Then I cast 8 molds because none of them were the identical length. They were about .125" in difference.

I then pored pure silver into the casts. Costly though but pure silver won't tarnish with age and looks just like SS Hawthorn Flying wires.

I turned one end on a lathe with a specially designed chuck. Turned the ends for 4-40. These steel clevis are from Great Planes and are 4-40.

Now here's the truth.

I went to my local welder's supply and talked them out of a dozen aluminum welding rods. Free!

I purchased the Great Planes clevis, 8.95 I believe. 12 to a package.

I forced threaded the clevis into the rod end. I then hammered the other end flat so I could drill a hole to accept the 2-56 threaded rod.

Total cost was just for the clevis and two $0.60 12" threaded rods. Nuts washers and lock washers to follow on assembly.

The entire task took about two hours. Took longer to make the aluminum fixtures needed to hold the flying lines.

I've actually made flying wires before. On one model, they were actually working flying wires. This was for a 90" span Gee Bee Z.

Hey! I gotcha!  ;D

This mornings effort was my weight box. Custom made.  n~

Probably hold two ounces.

Glenn, thanks for the reply and interest.

Charles
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:38:55 PM by Avaiojet »

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
so for the weight box....is that 2 oz of pure silver? LL~ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
All sanded down and all set to go.

Might just get one or two coats of clear dope on this wing tomorrow? Hopefully.

Finished adding filler where needed and leveled everything by scratching all surface areas.

I'm going to try to get covering on the wing Sunday. Try anyway.

Charles

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:39:40 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 06:29:24 AM »
It's the early bird that catches the worm.

Never to early to start working on a model.

Four pieces of wing covering, cut, labeled, tagged n bagged, all ready and good to go.

Unfortunately the wing needs a few coats of clear dope before I can attach the silkspan covering.

I'll try to get a coat or two of clear on the wing today.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:40:18 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 04:36:58 PM »
Well, unfortunately I didn't get any dope on the Gee Bee Z's wing today like I thought I would.

The wife wanted to see the 007 film "Spectre," which I was glad to do seeing I have this thing about 007 films.  She's 15 years younger than I am, so I do try to keep her happy. Yes, at times, it's exhausting.

I did have to remove the GB's gear again, this time to cut off the gear wire end at the wheel. I soldered the wheel collars and popped on the Robart smooth plastic caps. They will stay gray.

Wire gear, wheels, and the pants are permanently done. The gear, wheel and whatever else is going on in the pants stays there even during paint. I'll just separate the wheel pant from the upper faring and mask the wheel.

It's really difficult removing the gear and the wheel once assembled and tough putting it all back in place. Time consuming also.

Dope deffinately on the wing tomorrow.

Photos to follow.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »
Here's the wheel pants attached to the upper farings.

These custom made fiberglass parts had no means of connecting the two of them. I added 1/4" thick plywood pieces inside both the wheel pants and the upper farings, 8 in all. The piece in the upper faring had a drilled hole and the other piece in the pant was threaded for 1/4- 20.

Nylon bolts hold them together.

The bolts will be loosened for paint just to separate the two parts.

I did the work on these over 20 years ago. How time flies.

Good feeling finally having something completed except for finish and paint. That's the easy part.

Photos as promised.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:40:56 PM by Avaiojet »

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »
As always....I'm amazed at your work. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
As always....I'm amazed at your work. H^^

Glenn,

I'm amazed I don't stop using dope. God I hate brushing dope in prep for covering a wing.

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
I use the following stuff from BalsaUSA, it irons on and can be painted. It is tough like Koverall but can iron down to wood. The Natural finish can then be primed and painted.

I stopped using Dope a long time again and have been fiberglassing models ever since. But the model structure is open I use this stuff. You use an Iron and heat gun just like you would with iron on film.

Some guys use Polyspan with Dope with great results

http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/556.htm

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »
Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

Over the years I've used many iron on materials, that one doesn't sound farmiliar?

It's probably me, but I cannot maintain confidence with iron on edges, I always worry about them turning up or separating.

Do you dope the edges to prevent this?

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
The edges won't peel up like iron on film and you drop a screw driver on this stuff and it won't puncture. Send me a PM with an address and I can send you a sample you can try. Grant Hiestand used this material on his 1/3 Scale Spacewalker that flew for many years without any problems. He painted his model with latex house paint and then put a clear coat over that.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
The edges won't peel up like iron on film and you drop a screw driver on this stuff and it won't puncture. Send me a PM with an address and I can send you a sample you can try. Grant Hiestand used this material on his 1/3 Scale Spacewalker that flew for many years without any problems. He painted his model with latex house paint and then put a clear coat over that.

Fred

Fred,

What a guy!

You're too kind. That could be a plan.  I already have two coats of dope on the wood?

Look for an e-mail.

Thanks again!

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »
Getting the bellcrank and floor test fitted in place.

CF pushrod is 22" long, ball to ball.

Plenty of movement in the elevator, might even get a loop out of the model?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:43:42 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »
Looks good be prepared to get the leadout guide in the right spot to keep line tension. I have also flown with handles with narrow line spacing if there was too much elevator throw.

that is one big fuselage! hopefully the sample of covering arrived

fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 05:10:47 AM »
Looks good be prepared to get the leadout guide in the right spot to keep line tension. I have also flown with handles with narrow line spacing if there was too much elevator throw.

that is one big fuselage! hopefully the sample of covering arrived

fred

Fred,

Thanks for the reply and the sample, yes, I have it. How do you feather in the edge or an overlap? Gotta use something? Shrinks with heat?

Sand before paint? Doesn't look like this stuff needs primer? I don't like applying paint without sanding the surface first.

There's three coats of dope 50% 50% thinner, currently on the wing. I was going to have foax wing stiching and stich covering, so primer over fake vinyl stiching would be needed.

The Gee Bee's cowling is 8.75" in diameter.  %^@ That OS 80 throws a 15" prop and was designed to fly 14 lb models. So I read in a Review.

The leadout guide will be adjustable as per your design.

Thanks again for the reply, and, I appreciate the help.

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 05:44:53 AM »
The covering material does not fray when it's cut and will bond to the balsa with heat and pressure. You would have to try it on balsa with dope already applied but I apply the covering material directly to the wood without any thing on the wood. The material is like iron on film, use the iron to attach around the edges then take the heat gun or iron to the open part of the fabric shrink drum tight.

to get it around corners use the iron and pull it around the corners like wingtips

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 09:18:23 AM »
Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll play with that piece you sent.

Here's the 10 oz R/C tank. Brings back memories.  ;D

Three holes, just enough for the fuel line to be snug.

feed, fill, overflow. Hope this is right?  n~

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:44:29 PM by Avaiojet »

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
I really like how you did your cowl attachment points.  Clever idea.  Why did you put you motor at an angle like that?  Whats the advantage? H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »
I really like how you did your cowl attachment points.  Clever idea.  Why did you put you motor at an angle like that?  Whats the advantage? H^^

Glenn,

Hey! Hey! Thanks for the reply.

You have to have something that attaches to the cowling, so I just made mine adjustable. Easier to center the cowling that way.

I put the "engine" at an angle for access to the twin plugs and for the exhaust exit. Probably should have placed it upright or inverted, but the cowling is large enough that it covers the engine no matter how it's placed.

Advantages? Only a engineer or someone that really knows engine placement can answer that. I can't even begin to try. Or, I can say, I have absolutely no idea.  LL~

Now I have to put in a tank floor.

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
Fine work Charles, looking forward to the completed model.
Wish I had the perseverance.
Will you go with "City of Springfield" scheme?

Terry
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:51:13 PM by Terry Caron »
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 07:23:46 AM »
Fine work Charles, looking forward to the completed model.
Wish I had the perseverance.
Will you go with "City of Springfield" scheme?
Terry

Terry,

Thanks for the reply.

I know of no other color scheme for the Z except for the yellow and black "City of Springfield?"

Be nice if there were choices.

One of the issues with Robart hinges is the thickness of the control surface they are going in. 1/4" is cutting it close, so I added a length of 1/32" ply along the TE of the stab.

The flying wires are working flying wires, so they will add to the strength of both the wing and the stab.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:45:24 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2015, 07:30:03 AM »
Looking great. I wonder if this is going to be easier to keep from flipping over on landing than an RC version? Can't count how many people I have known that gave up and finally sold their Great Planes Gee Bee arf's because they couldn't get the landings down. That one was an excellent flying plane, but unless you stuck it in a perfect three point....
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 08:47:53 AM »
You're right Charles - yellow/black on the original.
While it's been a long time since I saw it, didn't I see a different scheme on the 1 (or 2?) built for "The Rocketeer"?

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »
Looking great. I wonder if this is going to be easier to keep from flipping over on landing than an RC version? Can't count how many people I have known that gave up and finally sold their Great Planes Gee Bee arf's because they couldn't get the landings down. That one was an excellent flying plane, but unless you stuck it in a perfect three point....

"The Good, the Ugly, and the Bad."

Bad,

I know of what you speak. I'll be looking for a non grass area to fly the thing off of.

Some are extreamly fortunate in that grass isn't an issue. Neither are unseen ruts.

No point in damaging the model.

Terry,

The Rocketeer, a really good movie. I do remember the second Gee Bee Z, probably better looking, but that's HOLLYWOOD!  LL~

I'm forced to go "bumble bee."

Thanks for the replies.

This tank isn't going anyplace! Flying wires labled. Ya think making them was easy?  n~

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:46:03 PM by Avaiojet »

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 09:29:06 PM »
Maybe a little pop-out drag chute would stop it from nosing over. %^@ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »
There's plenty of models that are never flown off of grass. Why take the chance.

I may behave with this one, and others. Just have to find a great parking lot.

Charles

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
A lot of scale planes want to nose over. 
It is often necessary to sneak the LG forward to get the plane to do touch & go and taxi lap without nosing over.
In reality, planes like the GeeBee were just aimed at the runway and released.  They didn't do many T&G's and didn't taxi much.

Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2015, 10:27:30 AM »
I was flying a smaller version of the Gee Bee that flying buddy owned and you had to slowly advance the throttle otherwise the model would nose over.  Once the model had enough airspeed the elevator was effective then we let the tail come up on it's own....that was the R1 version

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
A lot of scale planes want to nose over.  
It is often necessary to sneak the LG forward to get the plane to do touch & go and taxi lap without nosing over.
In reality, planes like the GeeBee were just aimed at the runway and released.  They didn't do many T&G's and didn't taxi much.

Paul,

Are you saying that, because of the design of the model, the rules are "bent" a bit? Or are points not given because the model won't do the required maneuvers?

I was flying a smaller version of the Gee Bee that flying buddy owned and you had to slowly advance the throttle otherwise the model would nose over.  Once the model had enough airspeed the elevator was effective then we let the tail come up on it's own....that was the R1 version

Fred

Fred,

That sounds about right to me on hard surfaces, but on rough turf there could be issues?

What was the size of the model?

Another thing is the CG location. The CG on this model is about an inch behind the LE.

On takeoff it's easy.... landing is the issue

The Good, the Ugly and the "Bad."

Bad,

You can catch it!  %^@

First flight, parking lot for sure. Figure out the rest after that.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here