News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: faa registration for c/l?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Matt Curtis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
faa registration for c/l?
« on: June 28, 2021, 10:14:00 PM »
Do you have to be registered with faa to fly c/l scale with 2.4 ghz for throttle control? Am a said you did not a few years ago when I asked them. I am currently registered now as I have flown some r/c but I am not planning on flying r/c anytime soon. I also just took the test and passed.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: faa registration for c/l?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 12:51:42 PM »
I myself refused to register with FAA as control line planes are limited to length of lines.  I fly a profile carrier with one of the new radios.  So far no problems.  Of course I fly for fun when my body lets me. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Matt Curtis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 01:54:45 PM »
I may not renew my faa as I do not intend to fly r/c in the future but it is fun to use the r/c gear for c/l and less crashing and no worry about the plane becoming an unguided missle if the radio stops working which it did in a p51 mustang that I flew r/c and the same radio works in that same airplane without problems flying it c/l.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 03:45:27 PM »
In  my days of flying real airplanes it was found that the FAA has very few inspectors.

If there is a fatal crash they will swoop down and find a ton of violations.  No matter how legal you were they will find plenty.

In the absence of such an incident you will NEVER see them.
Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 03:04:15 PM »
In the communications I have seen they see all CL models as Tethered models (2.4 Ghz throttle control or not) and do not need FAA registration. Because the handle is being used to control the model regardless if you have 2.4 Ghz  you won't need an FAA registration. For Confirmation contact the AMA contact regarding this for the official word.

We have not seen any FAA inspectors at our flying site which has Drones, RC and CL flying.

And as a club we do not police if people should have or have FAA registration when they fly. Buder Park in St Louis only requires that you have AMA membership for insurances purposes. The Clubs and CD's (for official contests) only check AMA membership even for the RC and Drone events

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here