News:

• May 24, 2019, 02:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ercoupe Build (slow)  (Read 6927 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Ercoupe Build (slow)
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2019, 08:14:07 PM »
I just got word that Ziroli models was able to pull the canopy on my form!  So that's a worry that I can put to rest.

Did I miss something here? Does Ziroli do this as a service?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.
IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »
Did I miss something here? Does Ziroli do this as a service?

Yup
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
Experimenting with paint.  Got some advice to sand the outside of the canopy & apply clear dope; here's my first semi-successful results.  This is clear over a surface sanded with 600 wet, and another one with 1500 wet (I was told to use 1000, but I seem to be fresh out).

It's not quite as clear as the original stuff (on the left for comparison), but it's not color sanded or rubbed out or anything.  I think it'll do, since there's not going to be a cockpit interior anyway.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2019, 07:25:10 PM »
After letting the dope cure for week (while I was just barely healthy enough to report to work, work, get home, and sleep), the doped-over canopy material looks pretty good.  So, I have that part covered.

I decided to 'glass the fuselage with 1/2 ounce cloth, both to get a nice easy finish, and because it makes it all-over fuel proof.  I think I'm not a fan of fiberglass cloth, but what the heck.

The two weights are before I started adding 'glass, and the weight after the cockpit and one side was done, but not the other.

It's now sitting on my bench with the epoxy slowly curing.  I need to bring it in here.  And -- oh ****!  I need to wipe down my scissors with solvent!  I forgot last time, and had to scrape the epoxy off with a knife, to the detriment of the knife, and probably the scissors, too.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
Been busy and under the weather, and sanding is boring.  So not much to show.

It's been sanded to a fair-thee-well.  I just painted it with nitrate, and put on putty to fill the low spots.  Yes, I'm probably committing a sin to use lacquer putty for this, but I grew up in a body shop and it just seems natural.  The long swipes of putty are because there are some long skinny low spots where the sheeting joins -- clearly I need to up my game when it comes to joining sheeting.

The plan is to fill the serious divots, then go with a couple of coats of dope + zinc stearate, then sand, then get back to covering the wing.  I want to get all the bits fairly well finished before I assemble, then I'll spray with silver (and probably exclaim in dismay), and finish up the finishing.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2019, 02:55:05 PM »
Sand, examine, curse, fill, let dry, repeat.

The circled area is a particularly frustrating divot.  I forgot to change out the waxed paper on my bench after 'glassing the fuselage.  The divot under that filler was from pressing the thing into a dried drop of epoxy.  D'oh, d'oh, d'oh, and in French, for emphasis, t'oh.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2019, 05:15:40 PM »
No picture, because the contrast between tissue (yes, tissue) and balsa isn't at all high.  I'm repairing the divot in the repair of the divot in the repair of the shortcoming in the original construction that left divots in the fuselage skin.

One of the low spots was bigger than I thought.  So I filled it, with some cursing and sanded it flat (dammit!).  And, sanded through the fiberglass in four spots surrounding the divot.  So I covered that with tissue, silently accepting that there would be one odd rippled spot in the finished product.  As of last night I had decided to go into full "FIFI" mode (F*** It, Fly It) -- then I noticed that I had sanded through the tissue into the balsa along the ridge where two sheets of balsa join (which joint was the cause of the first divot).  So I'm @#$% well going to fix that, and then I'm going to declare it FIFI.  Or I'm going to start collecting empty beer bottles, or something.

Grr.

Still hoping to make it to the Regionals...
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
No picture, because the contrast between tissue (yes, tissue) and balsa isn't at all high.  I'm repairing the divot in the repair of the divot in the repair of the shortcoming in the original construction that left divots in the fuselage skin.

Gouge out the divot, lay down a 1/2" by 3" strip of Esaki, dope, sand, putty, sand, more putty dammit, sand, and dope.

OK.  Now I'm just going to put on the filler and sand.

With my eyes closed, so I can get this plane done.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
Note to self: never, ever, sand a profile fuselage with an idiot board* once you've started finishing it.  The patch didn't work.  I've been distracted by paying work, but over the last week or so I scuffed up the remaining coating (probably 90 to 95% of the surface still has glass on it), and I've covered it with good ol' silkspan.  So the finish on the fuse is basically a kinda good idea at bottom, then a terrible mistake, then an attempt at a fix, and then a fix that may be adequate.

But, if you're at the Regionals and you see a scale plane in the circle trailing streamers of its fuselage covering -- that's me, with adhesion problems.

* At least, that's what they called flat sanding boards in my dad's body shop.  Can't imagine why...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:38:21 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2019, 02:36:00 PM »
Engine "compartment" mockup and balance mockup.  That boat anchor in the front is a Fox 40.  The big weight over the wing opening is about three ounces heavier than the current wing (nearly 10 ounces, and I only have half of it in silkspan, and roughly at the wing's CG.  The nut about halfway back is an ounce of weight to simulate finish weight.  The pen about 15% back from the wing LE is the balance point.

So it looks like I'm in the ballpark, although I suspect that in the end the weight box in the back will remain empty, and I'll be scratching for space to put weight in the front.  But I'll roll with what I get.

Too bad the AMA won't let you use metal props -- I could get one made out of brass; that'd bring the CG forward nicely!

AMA 64232

Tags: