News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ercoupe Build (slow)  (Read 24306 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Ercoupe Build (slow)
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
The Plane I did the tail skid on was Pat Johnsons P-47. HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
Ercoupe tail wheel? All the ones I worked on had nose wheels.

That's why it'd be worrisome if I remembered the tail wheel!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2018, 02:56:43 PM »
Landing gear blocks in, landing gear wire bent.  If you look closely at the inboard wing, you'll see that there's a hole drilled on the right that's been plugged -- that's because I made that one a mirror of what it should be.  Then I discovered that it would have been a hole lot easier to just make the receiver for the wire out of 1/4" plywood and drill the hole after the fact (this probably wouldn't work as well if I didn't have a drill press - but I do).

I haven't thought through the scale gear leg dressing -- I'll do that later, or I'll just leave 'em off.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
I never did post a pic of my scale subject.  The documentation comes from Airborne Media.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
It's a wing!  My god, but that's a lot of dihedral.  I could make this thing free flight just by leaving out the control system and maybe making the rudders bigger!

I didn't want to think too hard about how to brace the center section, so I just fiberglassed it.  The styrofoam blocks in the back is because I just wrapped the 'glass around the trailing edge, and it couldn't follow the sharp curve on its own -- so I took some foam scraps I had lying around, slit them, and used them as soft-ish clamps.  The epoxy's curing now, I'll find out if it worked tomorrow morning!
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2018, 09:51:17 PM »
Wing set aside for now.  On to the fuselage.  I'm equally tempted to just make it out of two honkin' big pieces of 1/2 x 3", or built up a framework out of 1/2x1/2 sticks and laminate on some skins.  Oh, the indecision.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
Does this mean you are going to put the wing in a profile ship?   Shame on you, with your talent an expertise it needs a built up fuselage. mw~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Does this mean you are going to put the wing in a profile ship?   Shame on you, with your talent an expertise it needs a built up fuselage. mw~

I spent two full months dithering over how I was going to build a full fuselage for this thing (yes, I know -- formers & planks & stop worrying).  Then I decided to just build the @#$% thing as a profile.
AMA 64232

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 09:12:22 PM »
Hi Tim,
I can see that. When I built the Tigercat I simply followed the plans which were elegant and easy, top and bottom keel with outer shape per the scale drawing, left and right keels with cross sectional formers, same deal with outer shape per scale drawings, then plank it with 3/16's x1/8 balsa and sand to shape. It was like building 3 fuselages though!
If you didn't have the cross sections from scale plans that could get involved. One good thing about having a profile first is that you can get a real good idea of ow it flies, how it all works, etc and then building a full fuse version would be easier.
Chris..

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
Don't poke at that little bitty hole in the bathroom floor, don't put a compression gauge on that '63 Suburban you just bought for $600, and don't superimpose a picture of your scale subject on the 3-view.

Sigh.
AMA 64232

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »
     Hey Tim, when I look at your picture that you imposed the three view over I see that the picture was taken several feet (well maybe 1.5') above where middle of the fuselage is on three view. I don't think you can use a photograph that is taken eye height (standing) to get the prospective you would want to build a profile.  (maybe?)
Eric

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
     Hey Tim, when I look at your picture that you imposed the three view over I see that the picture was taken several feet (well maybe 1.5') above where middle of the fuselage is on three view. I don't think you can use a photograph that is taken eye height (standing) to get the prospective you would want to build a profile.  (maybe?)

I could have done a better job extracting the picture, but I was lazy.

It's really the shape of the canopy -- the 3-view has it straight in front and bubbled in the back, while the real plane has a bubble in the front and straight in the back.

Yes, you can't make too many judgement beyond that.  But isn't that enough?
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
Super tiny bit-o-progress -- I got the arrangement of wood in the nose figured out.  Three engine bearers (I had been thinking of going electric, but changed my mind) and the nose gear bearer.  As part of that, I figured out a nose gear arrangement that'll give me some spring without having to make anything too wacky.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
I'm going to steal the general idea for the nose gear from here, except that the retainer block will need to be toward the back, because the landing forces will tend to want to pull the back of the wire out, rather than the front.
AMA 64232

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
Keep at it, man!
Chris...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
OK.  So this is utter insanity.  Working on the front landing gear, making a yoke for the wheel.  I'll make a steel collar for the top, then braze the music wire LG to the yoke.  The axle will go through a pair of 1/8" holes in the bottom of the yoke.

Even for all the work, it only sorta-kinda looks like the original, and will probably not look quite right from 10 feet away -- I just wanted an actual yoke holding the wheel, and hopefully it'll make a better impression than a hook bent out of music wire.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together.  Ready for brazing.  Of course, we won't know for sure how good it is until the first hard landing...
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
And brazed.  I need to get better at using less filler -- I think I need to ignore the directions on the can of flux, and apply flux directly to the part.  If I brazed more than once every two or three years, I'd probably be better.

The two white circles are spacers to hold the wheel centered in the yoke.  They're hand machined from solid billet cutting board.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
Clamp made, mounting block drilled for clamp, T-nuts in (and I need to order more 3/4" screws!)  It's ready for glue.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
Looks good to me.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2018, 11:41:39 AM »
Fuselage framing in progress.  I'm going with an open framework for the rear fuselage, to be sheeted with 3/32" balsa, in hopes of getting the weight down.  Later on, when I complain about putting a ton of brass in the tail, you may all laugh and laugh.

Motor mounts and nose gear mount is in place.  I'm planning on fairly small 3/32" plywood braces that glue directly to the maple, with the balsa sheeting butted up to that.  Then I'll use honkin' big lite-ply doublers of more traditional extent over the top -- should be strong enough for stunt, & so strong enough for scale.

The bottom stick is some high-density (13.5 lb/ft3) that I had lying around -- I'm getting rid of it!  Too bad it's all behind the CG.  It needed to be bent -- it turns out that a 1/2 square piece of balsa fits nicely into a tall beer bottle filled with water and ammonia.  If you look closely you can see the water mark, about 1/5 of the way in from the right edge of the picture.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
Fuse frame mostly done (there's some shaping to be done around the dashboard).  Then it gets doublers -- which I haven't fully figured out yet, because I want it strong, but I also don't want it to weigh a ton.  Then it gets sheeted with 3/32" balsa.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »
I was kind of unhappy about using a 40FP or 4xLA on this because the only one I have that's not mounted on a plane is one that's been modified for stunt, and I have no idea how well it'll work with a throttle on it (it's certainly down on power compared to my other similar engines).  So I was digging in my engine drawer and came up with a pair of old Fox 40's in a box.  One of them even runs.  Woohoo!  I don't have to cannibalize a plane!  And I have junker engine (the front end leaks) to use for fitting up!

They're way bigger than the OS bushed 40s.  Fortunately, I had been planning on using motor mount pads anyway, so I just made a different set of pads.  The engine fits, after a very slight trimming to the bearers, and a lot of trimming to the pads.  The best part is that if it doesn't work out, a 46LA, 40LA, 40FP or whatever will go in there with a different set of pads.

The nose is going to get doublers and triplers -- I've cut out fairly small doublers out of 3/32" plywood to tie the engine bearers and the front landing gear mount together.  I just couldn't bear to make a giant doubler out of that heavy plywood to go back to the wing, so once I sheet the fuselage I'll put 1/8" lite ply triplers over the nose back to about the high point of the wing.  That should make a strong-enough front end as long as I don't make a habit of unscheduled contact with the ground.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
Outside nose doubler glued & clamped with gravimetric clamp.  I used epoxy mixed with an equal volume of microballoons, to tone down the weight without (hopefully) getting weaker than the wood it's glued to.  Once this is cured I can start fitting the main fuselage sheeting (actually, I can dive into the work-week and make little progress, but that's life).
AMA 64232

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2018, 01:01:29 AM »
Looking good, Tim. You going to have it at Roseburg ?  I'll be there, perhaps we can meet in person.  Hoping to have my first scaleproject ready, a PT-26. PT-19 with a canopy, and Canadian license plates.  It's progressing slow though.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
Looking good, Tim. You going to have it at Roseburg ?  I'll be there, perhaps we can meet in person.  Hoping to have my first scaleproject ready, a PT-26. PT-19 with a canopy, and Canadian license plates.  It's progressing slow though.

Well, I'm not sure if it'll be ready for Roseburg in 2019, but yes, I'll have it at the regionals sometime.  Now that I'm part of the corporate machine again I don't have a lot of time to build.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2018, 07:14:20 PM »
Here I go -- the most foolproof way I've found to make sure I'll never need tail weight.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
Putting the sides on the fuselage.  So far the fuselage weight isn't too bad -- if I'm doing my ciphering correctly I'm up to what it would be with 1/2" think 8-pound wood, and because it's built up it's much stiffer.  Overall thickness at the moment is 11/16" or so -- I'm allowed an inch, so I'm OK there.

If you look at the bits laid out you'll see that it's in three pieces, with a tapered piece in the middle.  That' partially because that's what I needed to do to get it to fit, but partially because I had one really heavy sheet of 3/32" balsa -- 11.8 lb/ft3.  So I whacked it into two tapered pieces to go on each side of the fuselage.  I'm hoping that'll make a nice balanced assembly, with the heavy stuff put right where its strength contributes the most to stiffness.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
And the triplers!  I only weighed them to torture myself.  The inside tripler (on the top) has a nice layer of Titebond on it, because I put glue on the wrong @#$% side, then scraped it off and tried again.  Oh well; hopefully the covering will stick.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
Fuselage assembled, edges sanded, wing cutout cut and fit to the wing.  It's almost time to start running around in the driveway making airplane noises and annoying the neighbors.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »
Tail feathers.  All that's missing from the main structure is the canopy (which is going to be interesting because it's so big and skinny; see this thread)
AMA 64232

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »
Congratulations Tim on a really nice project and build. It's looking great!
Looking forward to seeing the finished model. It will be distinctive in the air.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
Canopy plug done.  Now I just have to figure how to wrap it in plastic.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2018, 01:04:45 PM »
Epoxy/microballoons on the wing root.  The goobered-up side is epoxy glue + microballoons, in a cold shop.  The nicer-looking side is finishing epoxy + microballoons, except that I didn't notice until I edited the photo that there's a ridge that I didn't wipe away when I was applying the stuff -- probably because I was distracted by trying to save the goobered-up side, instead of just scraping it all down to bare wood before the glue dried, and doing it over again.

Ah well, the bottom side is at least as good as the good half of the top.  And lots of careful sanding should take care of the boogers, even on the part that's goobered up.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »
Much sanding on the wing root later, and various distractions, I actually got a coat of dope on the wing!  In the process I noticed that I hadn't gotten around to building the surrounds around the landing gear mounts -- oops.  Oh well; easily remedied.  I got the trough between mount and LE sheeting filled, and stubs of capstrips installed, and some scraps of 1/4" square put behind.  Everything was glued in to stand proud by about 1/32", then sanded back to match.  It's not as smooth as I'd like, but I'm in the "just get it done" phase of construction, so I'll live with the inevitable divots around the gear (and try to figure out how to prevent that in the future!

I really ought to get the LG clamps done now, too -- I'm planning on 1/32" plywood or aluminum, screwed to the LG mounts.  That way I can paint 'em to match the rest of the model.

AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2019, 11:53:14 PM »
Two more coats of dope!  And then I realized that I don't have a weight box in the outer wing.  Dangit.  Yes, it's scale, I should just put an ounce or two out there.  I think it'll get a weight box anyway.
AMA 64232

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
I would definitely do the weight box.  A wing hanging low or riding high would drop your flight score with most judges.  I'm enjoying this thread, Tim, don't leave us hanging!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
I would definitely do the weight box.  A wing hanging low or riding high would drop your flight score with most judges.  I'm enjoying this thread, Tim, don't leave us hanging!

I've been working so hard I've been forgetting to post!

I got a weight box whipped up.  I normally size my weight boxes for a single pile of standard 1/4" washers, with a screw going through the middle to hold in washers and lid.  The space I had was shallow, and I was afraid I may not have enough room.  So this one will hold two piles of those washers, with a lid that screws on in the corners.  Should be plenty heavy, if needs be.

Bottom picture is the canopy blank.  It turns out that Zirolli Scale Models will at least look at your canopy blanks and assess whether they can pull a canopy or not.  This one's deep and narrow, and I've gotten conflicting suggestions on whether it needs draft (including from my own experience in pulling fiberglass parts off of similar plugs -- I'm pretty sure I could wax that up and pull a part off of it, as long as the part was thin enough that I could flex the sides out).  Rather than trying to sand a bunch of draft into it after the fact (which would make the canopy narrower) I'm going to send it in as-is, and I'll either get a canopy and be done, or I won't and I'll work up another plug.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
Weight box hatch cover.  This is going to be a pain to pull out each time, so I'm gluing a 1/8" diameter by 1/16" thick neodymium magnet into the cover and the box, rigged so they push each other apart (I hope -- we'll see if I got it right when I'm done).  That way when I unscrew the cover it'll tend to pop up.

Not mentioned in my last post, or shown, is the fact that the empennage is nearly covered -- both vertical stabs and the horizontal stab are covered, the elevator is half covered.  Covering is lightweight silkspan that's been in my possession for 40 years, traveled from Oregon to Massachusetts and back, all waiting for me to finally cover another plane in silkspan.  The wing will get medium-weight, or it'll get polyspan (I should do polyspan, but I've got all this silkspan...)

AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2019, 02:35:11 PM »
Got the top of the outer panel silkspanned.  Of course, I only realized when I started posting this that I don't have the weight box hatch cover sanded to size, so now I'm going to make an awful mess of the inside of the wing.  @#$%.  I thought I'd covered up the weight box, but I was working on the inboard wing.  Which I should have realized, but didn't because the way I did the leadout guide leaves the leadouts very nicely tucked into the wing until I need them, and then I'll pull them out with a hook.  Man, you think hard all week at work, and then on the weekend you try to relax, and look what happens!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:04:15 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
(quote) Weight box hatch cover.  This is going to be a pain to pull out each time, so I'm gluing a 1/8" diameter by 1/16" thick neodymium magnet into the cover and the box, rigged so they push each other apart (I hope -- we'll see if I got it right when I'm done).  That way when I unscrew the cover it'll tend to pop up.
(quote)

Now THAT is darned clever thinking! H^^ H^^ y1

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
Now THAT is darned clever thinking! H^^ H^^ y1

I thought of it a few years ago.  Here's a video of the last one.  It's not in service yet -- my shoulder went out and I thought I wouldn't be able to fly stunt again, so I started this project.  Now my shoulder's better, but dangit, I'm going to finish this project!

Note that for it to work the thing has to be very free in it's mount -- it's made to have generous clearance all around, and I'll make sure to wax the back of it so it won't stick paint to paint.

AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »
I just got word that Ziroli models was able to pull the canopy on my form!  So that's a worry that I can put to rest.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2019, 08:41:33 PM »
Three canopies for the price of two (well, one looks very "test pull").  All the sanding scratches, dents, and other imperfections in the plug have been faithfully reproduced, so kudos to Ziroli Plans for that.  It's better than I expected, and I couldn't be happier.

I'll use the rattiest one for fitting to the fuselage, and only take the best one out of wraps when it's time to glue it on.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
The way-preliminary canopy test fit looks good.  It needs some trimming in front, so there'll be more overlap than is apparent here.

Unfortunately, I realized that I cut the hole in the fuselage to match the canopy profile, which works everywhere but the front -- I need to put a dashboard in there, for me if not for the class rules.

It's really kind that Ziroli sent me the reject canopy -- that is so nice for fitting up.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2019, 01:43:10 PM »
That is great they would do this for you.  Probably worth every penny. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »
That is great they would do this for you.  Probably worth every penny. D>K

Oh yes.  I was seriously gathering information about doing my own vacuum forming on that scale -- the 'reject' canopy I got is probably better than what I would have done, and it would have taken me days of work.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »
Someone forgot that airplanes usually have control panels, that are visible through canopies.  It's not really a scale outline thing (as far as I know, this'll be my first scale competition), but I wanted it.

Narrower than the fuselage on purpose, to account for the fact that on a rounder fuselage, the dash isn't hard up against the canopy.  I'll probably have some filler in there too.

Glued with Gorilla Glue, because I know the gap isn't right.  Will probably back it up with a bamboo skewer, to save me from the potential embarrassment of a part rattling around inside of a nicely finished canopy.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2019, 05:45:00 PM »
Dashboard pegged in with two 3/16" dowels, installed through the same hole in the dash, but at different angles.  Yes, it is vast overkill.  But I always sneer at people with stuff rattling loose in their cockpits; no way am I going to commit the same error!

And a canopy fit check.  I am so, so glad that I decided to do a canopy rather than just paint one on -- even if the rules don't require it (I just double-checked) and it's adding time and expense to the build.

I'm looking at the prototype again, and I see that if the seat back is visible from outside it doesn't stick up far (the photos I have show someone's jacket tossed over the seat.  The package shelf behind the seat, however, is definitely higher.  So the thing may acquire another block-o-wood in there.
AMA 64232

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »
This is looking top notch!  I'm lovin' it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here