Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Scale Models

Ercoupe Build (slow)

<< < (40/40)

Tim Wescott:
The radio compartment is in the wing, and as such the height is controlled by the wing thickness.  What I had wouldn't fit, because the connectors come straight up off the radio.

So -- modify the radio.  It all fits now, at the cost of some time on the electronics bench.  A better approach may have been to find a radio receiver that already has the connectors coming off an end or edge, but hindsight, 20-20, yadda yadda.

Tim Wescott:
Almost done -- and almost out of time.  Hopefully I can get it all put together and the engine running in the driveway today, because the NW Regionals are next weekend and I don't want to show up without having done any test flights!

I got set back a week by getting sick, then I was slow to start up -- eventually I realized it's because I need to start sticking on ugly things, like control horns and a fuel tank.  I'm over that now (and the plane is a bit uglier).

Pictures show a control horn that I was given at a factory tour of Sig back in the mid 1970's; my brother and I were traveling through on business and he graciously took a detour to Montezuma (which is as close to the middle of nowhere as you can get in Iowa).  It's finally getting used (and is making the plane uglier).

Also shown is the control rod marked out for cutting, and then getting glued in. -- I almost pulled a classical Tim move; I had put the thing into the ball link on the bellcrank just one or two turns -- that's the first mark.  The second mark is because I realized what I'd done and cranked in another 9 turns -- had I remembered afterward I'd have a short control rod, had I not remembered, there would have been one memorable flight early on.

Not shown: hinges are glued up and the fuel tank is prepped.  I'll be attaching it to the fuselage inboard of the motor.

Tim Wescott:
In theory I just need glow plug, prop and lines, and I'm ready to go.

Oh -- time for a test flight.  That's a necessity  :o .

john e. holliday:
After all this time and effort, hope it flies well for you. D>K

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: john e. holliday on May 21, 2023, 05:06:20 PM ---After all this time and effort, hope it flies well for you. D>K

--- End quote ---

Me too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version