News:

• April 22, 2024, 11:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electronic control of U-contral Scale  (Read 1401 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electronic control of U-contral Scale
« on: January 25, 2007, 11:54:51 AM »
In an earlier post it was suggested that it may not be acceptable to use servos to control a scale models elevation.  I have done a little research and found that this is not true.  Following are the AMA rules:

AMA Control Line Rules

Section 2. General.

A control line model is flown on one or more steel wire line(s) or metal line(s) of equivalent strength, attached to the model in a manner providing aerodynamic control of the model's elevation through the manipulation of the control surfaces during flight.  Such manipulation of control surfaces, and any other of the model's operational features, may be accomplished by mechanical means, by electrical impulses transmitted through the line(s), or by any other control system that does not interfere with the control of any other model or present a safety hazard to competitors or spectators.  The use of radio control to accomplish any control function on control line models is specifically prohibited.

If I read this correct it would be acceptable to build a control handle that has a joy stick to control the elevator. By sinding the resulting control signal down the wire(s) a decoder in the airplane would controlls the elevator/flap servos.  The control lines(s) would be little more than a theater to force the aircraft in a circle. The advantage of such a system is that if the lines go slack you still would have control of the model.

I guess it is the engineer in me but I am considering such a system.  Any thoughts on the subject?  LL~

PS I have not looked at FIA - this is the AMA rules.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Electronic control of U-contral Scale
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 06:12:06 AM »
John, I totally concur with your interpretation of the rules. When I made the comment that someone might object to the servo , the comment was based on that person taking the first sentence in the rules out of context and reading it to require mechanical control.

I have had failures with my electronic systems. Having mechanical elevator control avoided destruction of my Hs-129. When you figure in the number of R/C models I have lost to battery failure.......

Chuck

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 06:30:50 AM »
In FAI rule 6.2.2 par b) Primary Control Function:
               The model aricraft's flight path may ony be controlled by a manually activated and mechanically linked flight control elements. This must be by a hand-held control handle manipulated by the pilot located on the ground at the center of the model aircraft's flight circle. No automatic control of the Primary Control Function shall be permitted.

That means the elevator must be controled by you using a belcrank and a handle.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 07:11:09 AM »
Chuck,

It's true that if the battery fails the servos stop moving however if the lines go slack all is lost. I also have lost a RC due to battery failure.  It was a bad factory weld joint on a cell strap. Sense then I have built my own battery packs and have not had any trouble with battery failure.  I have lost many an RC due to pilot error radio interference, and motor failure at the wrong time. As the old saying goes if a crash will take food out of your baby's mouth you aught not to be flying.  Having said all that where I am comming from is what happened on the first and last flight of my,converted from RC, 90" Eindecker. By the way the Eindecker was my own design based on a Senior Telemaster wing some one gave me.  It flew great until the wind got under it and the lines went slack. Attached is a photo that my good friend Joe Garrett took of the flight. I have crash photos but they are to painfull.  Had I had slack line controll I would be getting it ready for this summer's contests not building the Extra 300S. But I have no regrets. I learned a lot and now have a reason to build a shiny new airplane. y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:33:37 AM »
John
There is nothing wrong with electronic control of th elevator.  I have not tried it but see no apparent problems. 

I have looked at the photo you attached and it might be an optical illusion but it appears that you do not have right aileron cranked in.  In fact (the shadows may be misleading) but it looks like a touch of left aileron. 

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
Clancy,

I suspect you are correct on the aileron.  The plane was soft on the lines and like brain dead thing that I am I kept flying instead of chopping the throttle and landing. Its called pilot error.  I will scan in and attach the picture Ty took of the crash. He cough it just as the wing tip dug in and the spinner is 6" above the ground. HB~>

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
John, do you have a photo of your handle? I am curious how you work each of the control joysticks.
Chuck

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »
Chuck,

The Eindecker elevator was controlled by the two lines. The up-down lines were attached to a bellcrank that drove the guts from one of my servo testers, (see eBay servo tester eBay name is j$rist).  The ailerons are controlled by the first knob, the rudder by the second knob, and the throttle is the slide pot with throttle trim knob on side.  It all worked well just the pilot was brain dead. #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 01:58:07 PM »
All,

Eindecker crash photo attached, Ty Marcucci on left, John Rist (me) to the right, Eindecker in the pile.  :'(
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 04:35:29 PM »
Thanks John, that makes sense from what you wrote before. We got pilots like that here in southern Ohio too. One lives at my house. Everybody athe World Championships used electronic systems. It was interesting to all the different ways of configuring the control box. Top Polish guy had his strapped around his right biceps and worked it with his left hand.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here