News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric gear/flap/general servo actuation for non-electric scale planes  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Will Hubin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Together with scale C/L flier Joe Eiben, I've developed gear and flap and general servo controls for non-electric planes (see also the latest Control Line World for the article by Joe). There are separate version: GM-1 for multiple gear retraction/extension, the SM-1 for actuation of any standard servo (bombs, etc.), and the FGM-1 for sequential raising of flaps (totally smoothly over a period of 4 seconds) and gear, and lowering, etc.

The controllers are powered by a standard 4-5 volt battery and actuated either by a microswitch at the extreme motion of a 3-wire bellcrank or by connecting two wires at the handle (with at least one insulated line).

I'll attach a picture of the FGM-1.

Will Hubin

Offline John Witt

• Captain
Re: Electric gear/flap/general servo actuation for non-electric scale planes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »
That's pretty neat, Will. Could there be possibly be an input from Clancy's (or any RC receiver) decoder that would actuate the timer. I like the idea of getting a staged retraction. Some WW2 aircraft would take quite awhile to get the gear up or down. I'm thinking this would be nice to have for gear retraction (not the Jenny!) where I wouldn't have to worry about the timing, I could just flip a switch on the control box and have your unit in line with the output from one channel of Clancy's decoder to get a nice slow retraction.

I assume output is to the usual Futaba polarity RC servo -- three wire cable.

Is the input voltage span wide enough to take the variations in BEC's, so there wouldn't necessarily have to be a battery.

Looks like a useful idea.

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
The circuits are designed to be actuated by the closure of a normally-open switch, so anyway this can be accomplished would trigger the outputs to the servos. (I delay 5 seconds between actuations to prevent multiple cycles being triggered by the usual slow, bouncing contacts of normally-open switches.)  There is some flexibility because I usually wait for an order before "burning" the program into the microcontroller.

The gear control in the FGM-1 assumes a retract servo, and they are faster than scale, in most cases, I would guess. However, I move the flap output an increment of 1/2 of 1% of full throttle every 1/50 second, so that gives a perfectly smooth rotation over 4 seconds. A standard servo could be used with this output to get gear retraction and extension over 4 seconds, too.

The output to the servos is the standard 3-wire setup -- +5 volts in the center lead, ground and servo signal on the sides.

The microcontroller chip I use is specified for voltages up to 5.5 volts, which is fine with almost all BEC outputs; however, when used with a different circuit, with the Hacker ESC (which puts out somewhat more that), I insert a diode to drop the voltage into the specified range.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:39:02 AM »
John
Going by what Will Hubin stated above, you could use one channel of my U/Tronics Control to operate a small servo that would actuate a micro switch.  The micro switch then would control Will's unit.  That way you would only need an Up/Down Landing Gear control switch on your control box and Will's unit would give your model scale speed Landing Gear retraction and extension.  I like it!!
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
Thanks, Clancy. I thought of that approach immediately, but what I was hoping was to prevail on Will's good nature and get a version that eliminates the space/weight of an added servo and switch, plus the mounting hardware for same. This would require Will's unit to detect the 1-2 msec pulse width change and provide a binary output to the rest of the circuit so you wouldn't need the extra stuff in a crowded, overweight scale model.

If you have a couple of other functions (flaps, turrets, bomb drop, weed spray) to actuate separately, you are talking about two servos, plus micro switch for each function. That would get crowded plenty fast.

Right now, my Jenny is using two channels of the encoder/decoder, one for throttle and one for the towhook release. The ESC is taking its input direct from the decoder and the second channel is running a mini-servo attached to the towhook release. Time delay isn't an issue for this setup, however I am planning a WWII era model with throttle, flaps and retracts, and perhaps bomb drop. The flaps, retracts and bomb doors all could use a delay feature, as could turret rotation. I am sure there others I haven't thought of.

So there's my wish list, Will, and while you're at it, put four delay functions on one board and a USB interface to program it all. #^

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »
I suspect that this module could be triggered from a TTL logic interface as well as a relay contact.  If this is true with a couple of 74LS logic elements it is possible to convert the standard servo drive signal, the type that comes out of a Clancy control handle, to a "1" - "0" (On-OFF) signal that could trigger the gear/flap sequencer.   Such a device would be small and run off of the same power as the rest of the servos etc.  If anyone is interested let me know and I will breadboard one up and share the info.  I already have the design sketched on my desk pad.  It would be real easy to make it a dual channel to go with a multiple channel Clancy unit. A 3 channel setup could work the throttle and two different sequencers.

H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »
That's more or less what I was thinking of, just being a plain 'ol ME. Clancy's biggest unit has four channels, so two boards like you're talking about would do the trick.

This group sure has a lot of knowledge and talent.

John w
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
That's more or less what I was thinking of, just being a plain 'ol ME. Clancy's biggest unit has four channels, so two boards like you're talking about would do the trick.

This group sure has a lot of knowledge and talent.

John w
How about 1 board with 4 in and 4 out.  But I would think you need 3 at the most.  One of Clancy's channel would be throttle.  It would go direct to the throttle servo.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »
Point of Order.  LOL

The 4 channel U/Tronics Control system is not the biggest I build.  It is available with up to 7 channels when ordered.  I only charge $5.00 for each additional channel over 4 when originally ordered.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »
These circuits that Joe and I developed are intended for scale airplanes that are controlled with a three-wire system but are not using an insulated wire to send signals down the line (the Clancy system).

They do have the advantage of using a microcontroller on the airplane, so it is possible to implement timed activation of servos, including spreading the servo motion over a long period (I divide the 1.0 to 2.0 ms servo range into 200 steps, so 1 step every 1/50 second gives a perfectly smooth 4 second activation, e.g.).

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 08:13:45 AM »
John R,

Of course we're not talking about a huge market here, but I would be interested in such a system. I'm not a circuit designer but am handy enough with a solder iron to build something. It would be better than multiple servos.

Will,

The next project for me will likely start in late 2010. Is your servo delay machine something you'd build on request?

Thanks,

JohnW
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »
John, I'm not sure how you would actuate multiple functions without a separate servo for each, although I suppose it might be possible to use a long arm on a servo and actuate different function at, say,  1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full rotation.

The microcontrollers I use for the SM-1, GM-1, and FGM-1 are programmed to generate the 50 Hz, 1 to 2 ms pulse widths that servos require. I use the closure of a switch (connecting one pin on the microcontroller to ground) as the trigger for one or more events, which can be repeated indefinitely, if desired. With a single servo like the SM-1, the rotation can be programmed for happening immediately or over time (1, 2, 4, or more seconds, as for flaps, but also for gear using a standard servo to get a more realistic "gear up" action. With the FGM-1, there are two connections for servos, one for flaps (slow) and one for gear (nominally for a retract gear servo, so as fast as it does the job). These can be powered by a separate battery or whatever is available on board (within the required range).

The microcontrollers are relatively inexpensive but good quality circuit boards are expensive; it costs me $85 for three 2 1/2 x 3 3/4" boards, although I usually can get multiple circuits on each board. Programming can be very time consuming--I program in efficient but difficult assembly language. (I've been working over a month on what I hope will be a next-generation do-all system for stunt, the FM-9.) Prototype construction can be cheaper .. but still very time consuming, although not necessarily if I'm just modifying a previous program.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
Will,

We all owe you guys that have the expertise and energy to pursue these things that benefit the model community so much. Thanks for doing this. I'm planning on an electric twin project for the next scale plane after my Jenny is complete and it will be WWII era, so should have a use for your circuit.

I am familiar with the cost and time it takes to do what you are doing as such effort is a major portion of the development cost of the laser systems my company builds.

Regards,

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
After reviewing what Will said and considering some circuit designs I have.
I think I can build a pulse width to on/off function very easily.  Understanding that Will's circuit needs a pin pulled to ground to activate it, then it should be easy to design a circuit that will perform the function required.

Will get back to you all later.

Going to the design bench,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »
What I had in mind was:

A is servo siginal.  One shot B is set to 1 1/2 ms.  Output is 74LS74 Q or Q*.  When the servo drive is set to 1 ms Q should be low or gnd.  When servo drive is set to 2 ms Q should be high or close to 5V.  Q should now be able to trigger sequencer.  PS I have omitted sets and resets etc on the drawing. They need to be high or low as needed.  I probbly have the parts in my junk box to try this. If anyone in interested I will give it a go and report the results.  This would also force me to pick the R-C values for a 1 1/2 ms pluse.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:30:09 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
I exchanged Emails with Will and now have a better understanding of how to actuate his unit.  

Function control of the unit Will Hubin is offering:
It requires a momentarily closed switch to start a function, which takes 4 seconds to complete.

When a function starts it then ignores all inputs for 5 seconds.  This prevents multiple triggering of the unit while the servo is still moving.

Any time after the 5 seconds have run out it can be triggered again by momentarily closing the switch.  It then will start the function in the opposite direction, which again takes 4 seconds to complete.  It again ignores all inputs for 5 seconds to prevent multiple triggering.

SO.  We need a circuit that will momentarily close a switch each time we want that function to begin.  

A normally centered servo could be used to momentarily close either of two microswitches located near the end points of the servo travel by using two momentary push buttons in a circuit on one channel on my U/Tronics Control Encoder to operate two functions that are then controlled by Will's unit.

I used to sell a Dual Channel U/Tronics unit for controlling two Servos with a three line control but dropped it as it had poor sales.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »
Clancy,

It sounds like to me that if one put a momentary push button switch on your multy channel control handle along with the circuit I described above the extra servo could be eliminated.  With the push buttion in its normal state (not pushed) the servo output for that channel would be a 1 ms pulse. When you depress the botton the the servo signal would go to 2 ms. Releasing the button would return the signal to 1 ms.  The only question remaining is will a TLL interface signal trigger the sequencer? As best as I remember TTL will sink 8ma and is guaranteed to be .5v or less.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 05:29:47 PM »
John R.
That is a good idea.  I was able to do the same using a single transistor, 2 resistors and a capacitor. It worked, but again not knowing the requirements that we need to meet is fun.  

My Tek O-Scope said it was working.  LOL

I built a model for Navy Carrier 3 or 4 years ago to the "Published" Rules that did not alllow two line control in profile carrier.  The Rule Book was in error.  I built a bellcrank that equalized the load on all three lines but was not functional for controlling anything.  I used the three lines and one of my two channel units to control two servos in the model, Throttle and Flaps.  There was only two slide pots at the handle.  The flap servo also released the line slider and rudder offset.  I could adjust the flaps in flight.  

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
Wow,
It appears that a couple of engineers have hijacked this thread (yes that includes me). I think Will Hubin’s original intent, for his sequencer, was to control flaps and gear without a bunch of complicated electronics. As I see it, if you have a Clancy system, (or your own version as I have) you don’t need a sequencer.  By turning a knob on the control handle slowly you can run a servo function at any speed you want.  However this takes a boat load of electronics with all of its extra weight, insulated lines, and etc.  On the other hand Will’s module allows one to add a bunch of function with minimal hassle.  Don’t get me wrong Clancy’s system works great. As an electrical engineer with 40+ years of experience I applaud Clancy for providing the U-Control Scale community with a system that works great at a reasonable price.  However if you are a purest and want to control your throttle with a 3 line mechanical setup it looks like Will Hubin has nailed it for adding flaps and retracts.  Way to go Will.
 H^^  H^^  H^^

PS.
Be careful of thinking that you can get away with one insulated line. The problem is unequal line drag. If the two lines are of different diameters the larger line acts as a sail making it very difficult to control the model. This is especially true during slow flight when line tension is low.  I know this is true because I have lost one aircraft and damaged another before I figured out why.  In both cases I had the one insulated line as the up line.  When throttled back the drag on the up line caused the aircraft to clime as it headed into the wind. Wind got under the aircraft and the lines went slack….. Kaboommm
 :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here