News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:30:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Documentation books  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Hemi Steve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Documentation books
« on: May 13, 2021, 08:57:31 AM »
How many documentation books do I need to bring to the Nats for Authentic Scale static judging?
Steve

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Documentation books
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »
One "book." Usually a loose leaf binder. The maximum number of pages is specified in the rules (I forget how many right now). What you shouldn't do is bring some reference books and tell the judges what page to look at. So you either have to cut up your prized reference books or make copies of the specific photos or quotations that you want the judges to see. I'm wrestling with this right now for my NATS R/C entry.
Chuck

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 11:01:06 AM »
I think the answer to the question is provided by the rule book.  Paragraph 7.2:  "...presentations are limited to ...8-1/2" x 11' pates in a binder..."   "So that each judge cam have a copy, multiple copies of part, or all, of the documentation is allowed, provided they are all identical."

So, as a minimum, one binder/document is required.  It is useful for the judges that another set 3-views be available for at least the second judge to avoid them having to peer over one or the other's shoulders to examine the 3-views.  Better yet, at least a second binder/document, identical to each other, be provided to the judges.  If there are more than one judge, it would be advisable to have one complete presentation, all identical, for each judge

For Authentic Scale, the presentation document is limited to 12 pages (Paragraph 7.1.1).  What is not clear in the rule book is if the cover page of the document counts as one page towards that page limit.  It has been my experience that the cover of the document (as for a binder) does not count in that limit.

Keith

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:01:11 PM by Trostle »

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 03:56:34 PM »
So Chuck, what are you going to fly in the RC Nats? Are you going to fly in both CL and RC?  If so, tough duty I think.

Steve

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 06:32:39 PM »
Steve,
I am registered for R/C sportsman sport scale and fun scale. Several years ago I tried to fly both C/L and R/C and it did not work out well. Flew poorly in C/L and crashed my R/C model due to being so busy.
Chuck

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 08:59:25 PM »
I bring two identical documentation binders, one for each judge. Since I create all of my documentation in digital format I only need to print out two copies and create to identical binders. If I have color chips I have a two sets of color chips and each judge sees the same color chip.

But what was said above, is true do not bring ref books. Remember you are documenting one full size airplane, the documentation should only cover the color and markings for one particular full size aircraft.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
 D>K FYI.
Document only what is required.
My first time in scale my documentary consisted of 8 double sided pages, George Buso called me to the judge’s table and asked me if I was trying to commit suicide? He told me to withdraw and remove half my pictures then come back. That was 15 years ago. The more you present the more the judges have to hit you with. ( unless you have built the perfect model) and Steve Couch is the only one to have done that.
Good luck with your scale flying.
Blessings

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 04:30:22 PM »
Jack Sheeks once told me never prove to the judge that your model is in-complete or wrong. In other words if you have a documentation picture that shows 3 small details on the full size airplane you better have all three on the model. If you only have two of the details pull the picture.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here