News:

• March 26, 2024, 11:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Designer Scale Rules  (Read 483 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Designer Scale Rules
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:27:54 AM »
Here's a question for you pundits about the designer scale eligibility rule. The rule (524, 1.) says, "Models that are built from kits or commercially available plans, modifications of kits or plans, or scaled commercial plans, are not eligible."

If one interprets this strictly, then designer scale is limited to plans the modeler draws himself, which means he would find an example of the aircraft to be modeled, measure it and create plans, then build a model from those plans.

The term "scaled commercial plans" rules out using ANY reference plans that are generally available, i.e., Wylam, Nieto, etc., as a basis for a model construction.

My interpretation of this is that the modeler is intended to design his own structure for the model, said structure being based on outlines and other details present in the "commercial" plans. The rule should state what is intended and the term "commercial plans" amended to say something like "pre-existing model airplane structural designs"

Another way to approach this is to drop this restriction entirely and leave it to the modeler to determine which class he wants to enter.

If the actual strict interpretation is intended then Designer Scale will have a vanishingly small number of participants.

John Witt

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Designer Scale Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
John, I think the interpretation of "commercial Plans" has been "a commercial plan for the construction of a model airplane" such as offered by Nick Ziroli or Don Smith. I have judged Designer at the Nats and the contestants used "commercially available 3-view drawings of a full-size airplane" to document their model. I belileve the Nieto and Wylam drawings fit this category. These drawings don't have any of the structural details necessary to construct a model.

Designer has not been offered at the Nats for a couple of years. Lack of contestants; the only guys I can remember are Charlie Bauer and Frank Beatty. Might have been one other. The few models that have been built to this standard have been entered in the FAI/F4B class.

Chuck

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »
The rules sound reasonable to me, considering it's supposed to be The elite TOP class event.

There are so many other events where you need build a classic or old time, or nostalgia plane that somebody else designed.  And so very many events that welcome ARF's, kits, ready-builts, custom-builts, etc, etc etc.

It would be a welcome change to have ONE event for Designers (as the name states).  We still have all the other events for non-designers.
Paul Smith

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »
Paul
You are correct.  I have entered models at the NATS in Scale.  The first one was my P-38 which plans are available from AMA # 505 March 1986 MA.  The second one was a C-7A Caribou.  Both of these models started from many photographs of the plane modeled and three view drawings from the original manufacturer.

It is not an easy task to do but the personal enjoyment is worth it.  The P-38 took 1,000 hours to design and build and the Caribou took 400 hours to design and build.  One reason the P-38 took so much time was that I designed and built the wing and took it to our local club meeting.  Several scale modelers present agreed that the wing was too small.  Back to the drawing board!!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
This is one of those situations, I think, where everyone (including me) "knows" what is intended. But that is not what the rules say. Perhaps a mod to the wording is in order in the next revision cycle. That said, it probably won't make any difference to the actual conduct of the event at all, but would eliminate a quibble.

There are plenty of folks building magnificent scale models these days, but they nearly all fly RC. I think perhaps that there are even more free flight scale ships built than UC.

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here