News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:53:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale doccuments.  (Read 560 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scale doccuments.
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
I am in the process of rounding up what it take to build my Brodak La-5 profile.  The question I have is on the proof of color.   Their is not a lot of color photos of WW II fighters.  So what I have is a artist color rendition of the paint scheme I plan to use.  However I don't have any thing that ties the rendition to a real aircraft.  How does all this work?  Another question - are diecast models an acceptable source for paint schemes.  For instance a La-5FN was captured by the Germans and given an German paint scheme.  I can not find color photos but their is a die cast model available.  Once again how does all this work?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Scale doccuments.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
when in doubt, get the rule book out! The artist's rendition is all that is necesary. I see no mention of the die cast models, and I personally would not use one. I would also recommend not using photos for color documentation--the color varies too much depending on the lighting. My personal preference is written documentation that links to a spec number like a Federal Standard number or, in your case, a Russian or RAL(Luftwaffe) spec number. Then link the Spec to a color chip. Photos are of great value for location and size of markings. I have some La5 information if you want to contact me via Private Message.
Chuck

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »
I do not want to sound like I am preaching.  Also, there are others who are probably more qualified than me to respond to this.  However, I have competed in scale at various levels over more than a few years.

As has already been suggested, go to the rulebook and read the rules.  Those rules that govern what you should do regarding scale documentation are the same rules the judges read.  Recommend that you pay particular attention to any changes that might be made in the CL scale rules now that the final vote has been taken near the conclusion of this AMA rules change cycle.  Though I do not think there are any changes to the CL Sport Scale rules for documention (which also apply to CL Profile Scale), it is still suggested to sift through those changes.  There are some changes in CL Scale, (some may be somewhat disturbing).

Actually, there is a wealth of information on the Lavochkin La-5 aircraft.  Just a quick look through my library, I found:

Profile Publication Number 149 shows a number of color profiles.  These Profile Publications can often be found on eBay.

The Encyclopedia of Aircraft of WW II.  This shows a couple of color profiles.

The Great Book of Fighters by William Green.  This has 4 pages with a few color profiles.

Aircraft Anatomy of World War II.  This has a 4 page spread with a great two page color depiction of the La-5

There are a number of magazines from the UK for the plastic model community.  These often have multi-page articles on specific aircraft with 3-views and pages of color profiles.  Back issues are usually available and the poublisheres normally have an outline of the oontents of their back issues.

A recent magazine and a great article on the La-5 is in Scale Aircraft Modelling, Vol 31, No. 9.  This is the November 2009 issue.  Check for back issues at www.guidelinepublications.co.uk   This is one worth getting.  You will not be sorry.  The material in this magazine could be the basis of a good precision scale presentation.

Scale Aviation Modeller International may have covered the La-5 in the recent past (like in the last 5 years or so).  If they have, you might find it in their listing of available back issues and it will be worth getting a hold of.  Check them out at www.sampublications.com

There is a sister publication to the above SAMI magazine called Scale Military Aircraft International.  They sometimes feature the same thing in 3-views and color profiles as the other magazine, but it is still worth checking out at that same website.  Also, that SAM Publications has a new book on the Air War Over Kursk that will have color information on the La-5.

The Model Airplane International magazine often has color profiles featured in the plastic model construction articles it publishes.  It is worth looking for in their list of back issues at  www.modelairplaneinternational.com

Often a good source are the decal specialty suppliers.  A good start would be at www.squadron.com for the SuperScale International decals.  There is often a color profile of the specific aircraft with the decals they sell.  Worth a look.  There is a large number of decal manufacturers that have decals for the La-5.

Do a search on eBay for Lavochkin La-5 and you will be surprised what you will find.  Maybe some books.  Lots of plastics in different scales.  You can use plastic kits for reference color schemes based on the box art as well as the instruction sheets and decal sheets.  You also might find a listing of the profile publication there, but suggest doing a search for the Profile Publications first for that specific issue.

Do a search on Amazon and you might find some books of interest.

And then do a google search on the Lavochkin La-5.  You will find hundreds of listings, some showing books, articles and other material you might find interesting or even useful.  Then go to images and you will find dozens, if not hundreds of pictures of the real aircraft, models, artists interpretations, books and whatever.

One of the satisfying aspects of building scale is doing the research on the aircraft.  Hope the above gives you a start.

Good luck.

Keith

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:08:19 AM by Trostle »

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »
LA-5 is a WW-2 Russian fighter

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »
John
if I read your post correctly, what you are asking is what you need for documentation of a paint scheme, as previously stated, read the rules closely.
Now while I am not a proffesional judge,, Pat and I judged scale the last few years at the NW regionals, we are only allowed to judge a model based upon what the documentation given us shows. Even if we know personally that the color is wrong, or the outline is wrong, or markings are wrong. If you provide me with a commercially produced rendering, that is what I am required to use to judge your model from. Same with proof of colors, you give me what you have found to be an accurate color and I check it against your model. Now that being said, dont go and grab a spray can, paint a peice of paper and the model, then tell me the paper is your proof of color. It should be a photo, print, or other rendering.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »
As I recall, the use of a model for scale documentation is limited to the outline and detals only. The rules say the reference model must be unpainted.  This makes the die-cast model not useful for color documentation.

I don't know the history of this provision, but I suspect it is because of the color variations that could be added by the modeler as opposed to an 'impartial' reference.

Arguing about the exact color of something is not just limited to modelers.  I just saw some photos of several of the existing flying P-38s, and each of the olive drab ones was a different color.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here