News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fun Scale/ Sport Scale Flight Plan Ortions.  (Read 551 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fun Scale/ Sport Scale Flight Plan Ortions.
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »
I am getting ready for the nats in fun scale and sport scale. As a relative new comer I need some advice from you seasoned competers.

As I understand it there are 6 optional maneuvers required in the flight plan.

1) Is it true that touch and go counts as two?
2) Also somewheres I heard that the pilot must announce each maneuver before he performs it.  Is this true?  If true isn't it diffcult to make sure the judges have heard you.
3) Their are options such as loop, inverted flight, and figure 8s.  I am hoping that my Extra 300S (first flight soon) will stunt like crazy. Can one have a single option called free style stunt.  This would consist of 2 loops that transitions into 1 1/2  figure eights that transitions into inverted flight.  Inverted flight would terminate by finishing the 8.  All this with smoke on.  Like I say I am not sure the ship will do this but I would like to know if something like this is an acceptable option before I give it a try.

The Nats are coming fast - hope I am ready. Thanks for your help!  H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fun Scale/ Sport Scale Flight Plan Ortions.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:42:39 AM »
Recommend that you print out the rules for the Fun Scale and Sport Scale events and thoroughly understand them regarding your scale presentation and your flight options and to fully understand the maneuver descriptions for those options you choose for flight. 

Yes, for Fun and Sport Scale, the Touch and Go counts as two flight options which means that there will be a range of 0 to 20 points.  The judges will be looking for a "realistic" demonstration of the Touch and Go to get into that high range of points.  A full power "smack down - bounce off the runway" will not garner very many of those 20 points.  You need to read the rules on this one.

Whatever maneuvers you choose to do are to be typical of the aircraft represented.  Your Extra 300 is a good choice to list various maneuvers that are already in the rulebook.  The maneuver descriptions are in the scale rules are not the same as the maneuvers for CL Aerobatics.  You can list as some of your options with the Extra as Inverted Flight (3 laps), Inside Loop, Wingover, Figure Eight (undefined), and High Fight.  (You need to read the rulebook on this High Flight option also.)

If you have a stunt capable model, the High Flight option is a good way to pick up maximum points for that option as all that is needed is 3 laps above 45 degrees.  (Easy for a stunt model, not so easy for  scale models with high wing loadings.)  To get any points, an elevation of 30 degrees is to be maintained.

So, you can get get scores on these five options - Inverted laps, Inside Loop, Wingover, Figure Eight, and High Flight.  If you do a Touch and Go, you only can list four other options.  You can list and define an unlisted flight option including the "tricks" you describe for your aerobatic scale model.   But there would be no need to complicate things by defining a single option that consists of a whole series of "tricks", most of which are already listed as single flight options.  The sizes and shapes of those listed maneuvers are not really well defined in the CL Scale rules.  If you are flying a model that can perform some semblance of any of those maneuvers in a convincing manner, you will get good scores.  So plan accordingly and take advantage of the capabilities of your model.

If you are using a throttle, which usually would be expected with the Touch and Go option, then you will also be able to list the Taxi as an option which is another easy way to get max or near max points if your model and throttle handle well on the ground. 

So, with a throttle equipped scale model of an aerobatic aircraft, there are any number of ways to select 6 flight options and get good scores for each of those options.

If you are using a 3-line control system for throttle control, you might want to be carefull and really know how your model/engine will perform in a loop or figure eight.  Depending on your leadout positions and your control lines, unusual things can happen in a loop.  (I personally know a very sad story about this.) Similarly, if you are using an electronic control system, your insulated lines could cause some problems if you try to do a loop or figure eight.  You will need to know that those lines will not bind when they have been twisted in a loop maneuver.

If I did not suggest it before, read the rulebook and understand fully the maneuver descriptions that you might consider.  Also, make sure you understand the scale presentation requirements as explained in the rulebook.  Your presentation is an easy way to maximize your static score, or conversely, an otherwise excellent model can be seriously handicapped with poorly prepared documentation.  Also, understand that the documentation requirements differ between the two events though a Sport Scale presentation would be suitable for the Fun Scale event. while the "simpler" documentation requirements for Fun Scale might not help garner a top static score for the Sport Scale event.

Keith

Keith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:10:32 AM »
Keith,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I have printed out the rules and have and will read them multiple times.  I guess what I was wondering can I for one of the options - say instead of high flight - can I put together a sequence of maneuvers (loop, figure 8, & inverted  + smoke) and call it free style stunt.  This would be one of the 6 options and have a possible score of 10 points.  My question arises from rule 4.14: Other Scale Operations/Flight Maneuvers Not Listed.  It states that "A contestant may elect to perform a scale operation or an optional flight of choice, provided it is within the capabilities of the prototype aircraft."  The Extra 300S is quite capable of stringing a sequence of loops, eights and inverted flight without recovery between maneuvers.  SO if my model will do this I felt it would help in the realism of flight score.  Admittedly a bit much and involves risk to the model but I am wondering if presented to the judges ahead of time is it acceptable?  By the way I am using a 2 line system with electronic throttle. It is a 4 channel setup - throttle, ailerons, rudder, and smoke. The airplane is an converted ARF RC Extra 300S for fun scale.

I may well chicken out on the above - especially if I don't have time to pratice - but just wondering if it is acceptable option under the rules?   ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
You could do that sequence you are talking about, but the question would be why go to the bother and risk.  Risk, not so much for potential damage to the model, but risk in not getting very many points for a judge not thinking all of the elements of that single option warrant a high score when, in fact, you could just do smoke as a single option and probably get as many if not more points than the option that is a series of tricks.  You could do smoke as an option while you are doing the single options of Inside Loop, Inverted Flight, Figure Eight, and High Flight.  there, you have 5 options already, plus you can still do a Taxi, or if you do a Touch and Go, you do not need to do one of the maneuvers.  My recommendation would be to keep it simple.

Keith

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:26 AM »
John, I would agree with Keith on the keep it simple approach. With your "trick" you just introduce several places for the judges to see a mistake and take off points. Note too that "throttle" or "engine control" is an acceptable option which you will be demonstrating anyhow; might as well claim it.
Regarding calling your maneuvers--be reasonably loud and the judges will hear it. If you wait until you are facing the judges to make the call they will see your mouth move and give you credit for the call even if they can't hear you. Don't forget to put the required laps between maneuvers. It is also OK to have another person in the circle to do the calling.
Chuck

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »
OK - Thanks all.  I will probably rethink it all.  I will, of course, put in 3 laps of smoke for one option.  I will also use throttle control as one option.  The rest I will figure out once I get test flights under way.   

y1   y1   y1   y1   y1   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »
OK - Thanks all.  I will probably rethink it all.  I will, of course, put in 3 laps of smoke for one option.  I will also use throttle control as one option.  The rest I will figure out once I get test flights under way.   

y1   y1   y1   y1   y1   y1

Engine control is an option.  I am sure that you have already read the rules and that you understand to get full points, you must be able to shut the engine off.  Should not be hard to do with an electronc control system.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here