News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Competitive scale kits.  (Read 1900 times)

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Competitive scale kits.
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
Suggestions for scale control line kits and plans that build into competitive models...............

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Competitive scale kits.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
If you build a full body Sport Scale model beware of the crippling penalty for NOT having retracts & flaps on plane that had retracts & flaps.

Either build a fixed gear no flap plane like a Shoestring or plan on having the devices.

Other than that, any plane of which you can get documentation can be effective.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:27:33 PM »
Suggestions for scale control line kits and plans that build into competitive models...............

John,

Can you scratch build? The Golden Era offers many choices of aircraft to model which don't have retracts.

You can also take a look at the NATS models and the NATS winners.

Good luck!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
Planes built from Brian Taylor plans or short kits always do well.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
Flaps are easy to add to a model, 1 or 2 servos and a toggle switch with 2.4 Ghz

retracts can be a royal pain install, 98% to work to earn the 20 points for that option are done in the shop while you build the model. moving the toggle switch from up to down is easy while flying, making them work properly is the challenge.

You can build from a set of plans such as Brian Taylor or other designers, but check the outlines if you want to get the best static score possible. The biggest mistake people make is build the model and then find the documentation and 3-view. Pick the 3-view first and the documentation (photos) and build to match the 3-view and photos. modify the plans to match the 3-view and photos.

another option is to take a 3-view that is correct, get it enlarged at Kinkos/FedEx to the size you want and scratch build

If you don't want the hassle of retracts build a fixed gear model

Throttle only models are not at a disadvantage but if it's a single engine model you have a tough time filling in the options. but if you build a multi-engine model you can easily fill 5 options. Add flaps and you have 6 options. Look for options like bomb drop, open close doors, flaps and others that are just a servo.

there are many Kits out there that have been stretched or highly modified from the scale outline that almost make them cartoon scale. To be competitive you have to picky with the documentation, 3-view and the details on the model.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
I put this video together on how to prepare a 3-view for competition and how to pick one, I used the P-47 as they example

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »
I have several laser cut Fun Scale and Profile Scale kits available. Check out the kit list in the Vendors Corner. The plans are all CAD plots with full size templates of all parts.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »
Brodak has 6 scale kits.   His Shoestring has won the NATS in the past.  I did well with his LA-5 in profile.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »
John,

I mentioned the Golden Era. This Gee Bee Z started out as a Paige Aviation R/C kit.

The kit is far from scale, but with changes like the ones I made, you could have a model that has 98% scale outlines.

You see these kits from time to time on ebay.

The vintage Aristocraft kits are also a great find. Many scale offerings and a perfect size for CL.

I'll be looking today to see what's on ebay.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 02:46:46 PM »
I will vouch for the Aristo-Craft kits, Years ago I built the Beechcraft Staggerwing Aristo Craft kit. The kits were the highest quality for the day. The die cutting very nice. Some of the wood was on the heavy side but for scale that is not a huge problem. As a matter of fact there is a Aristo Craft Beechcraft kit up on Ebay right now for $179 buy it now. I am tempted to buy it if it were not the fact that I have a tuned pipe and other accessories for the two kit I already have yet to buy. PS that kit flew great, unfortunately I plowed it in doing one to many loops.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here