News:

• May 08, 2024, 03:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lazerworks A-26 (on it's wheels)  (Read 1477 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Lazerworks A-26 (on it's wheels)
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
Hey all, my first post in the scale section, as the subject implies I'm building a A-26 for profile scale with two Enya 15's and want to use a spectrum 2.4 radio. If anyone has any thoughts on receiver, battery and how to mount them I would be very grateful.
Thank you
dwayne
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:20:53 PM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
Re: Lazorworks A-26
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:52:43 AM »
Perhaps you should check Utronics stuff out.
Really cool control systems for what you need.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »
Utronics is dead meat.  Who wants a lobotomized RC system when you can just buy an off-the-shelf RC rig and use it?  How you do it is up to your imagination.  It's a whole new RC/CL world.  You can be Columbus.
Paul Smith

Dwayne

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
Utronics is dead meat.  Who wants a lobotomized RC system when you can just buy an off-the-shelf RC rig and use it?  How you do it is up to your imagination.  It's a whole new RC/CL world.  You can be Columbus.

I think I have it pretty much figured out, I have a small hobbyzone transmitter two micro servos and receiver, the main thing is the battery, this thing doesn't have much wing to it so weight is critical, I'm thinking a 6 volt LiFe but we will see.
Thanks
Dwayne 

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
Worked OK for Boeing.
Paul Smith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
2 cell lipo http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23135__Turnigy_nano_tech_180mah_2S_25_40C_Lipo_Pack.html

@13 g

Charger  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2055__hexTronik_Balancer_Charger_Dual_Charge_Capable.html

Will do two packs at once.  Make sure receiver can stand 7.4 volts.  Most with BEC can.

Buy 4 of the battries they are cheep.  Use a fresh battery for each flight or so.  If you run a lipo flat it will kill it.

Also consider all electric - it is clean and east to get two motors running every time and everything runs off of the motor battery.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
if your receiver can't handle the Lipo directly there is an adapter which can simulate the bec and provide the correct voltage to the receiver. If you go electric the esc bec will do the work. Here is an example of a regulator http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-2191/5-Amp-Universal-Battery/Detail

By the way the Hobbyking radios are cheap and work very well, I have a 2, 4, and 6 channel system

If you are using glow power and don't want to get involved with Lipos, special chargers etc,  I think a 600 mah Nimh pack would work

Dwayne

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:08:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies, lots of good info, I already have the chargers and 2c lipos so that could be a way, or  I could make my own using 2/3 size NiMh. Hmmm lets see which one.
Dwayne

Dwayne

Re: Lazerworks A-26 (on it's wheels)
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
Here's where I am so far, getting very close to final sanding and finish. Looking good if I do not say so myself. lol  8)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
that is a cool model,,

were it me, I would go with a LiFe battery, they have few ( if any) of the issues inherant in a nicad,, you do not need a regulator like you do for LiPo,, they have no memory, so you can charge them from whatever state they are in..
a couple notes on servos,, mount using the screws through the rubber bushing like they say,, you dont want the servo hard mounted, especially on an IC model,, especially on a profile IC model since more vibration gets transfered.
I mount my recievers with velcro, which acts as a form of vibration dampening...
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Dwayne

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 06:12:42 AM »
that is a cool model,,

were it me, I would go with a LiFe battery, they have few ( if any) of the issues inherant in a nicad,, you do not need a regulator like you do for LiPo,, they have no memory, so you can charge them from whatever state they are in..
a couple notes on servos,, mount using the screws through the rubber bushing like they say,, you dont want the servo hard mounted, especially on an IC model,, especially on a profile IC model since more vibration gets transfered.
I mount my recievers with velcro, which acts as a form of vibration dampening...

Thanks Mark, everything sounds good to me, should I use the brass insert that goes through the rubber bushing?

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
Look'en real good Dwayne. Maybe you could bring it down to the Nats ?

Blessings
Allen

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
Yes, use the bushing. And note that the flange on the bushing goes against the wood mount. The head of the screw rides on the "sharp" end of the bushing (eyelet).
Chuck

Dwayne

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »
Yes, use the bushing. And note that the flange on the bushing goes against the wood mount. The head of the screw rides on the "sharp" end of the bushing (eyelet).
Chuck

Thanks Chuck, very good advice.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 09:50:45 PM »
Are they Left Hand propellors , or are you in a reversed universe there . n~ Presumably the cranks are left hand too , ? . H^^ Nice Aeroplane .

Dwayne

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 05:43:54 AM »
Are they Left Hand propellors , or are you in a reversed universe there . n~ Presumably the cranks are left hand too , ? . H^^ Nice Aeroplane .

How in the world did I not notice that... ??? ::) n~ Crap I don't think I kept the packaging oh well that's 20 bucks gone.  HB~>  I'll keep these sand and paint them to look scale for judging.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Hi Wayne,

I like it!  I think that Lazerworks does a great job on their short kits.

I had those plans about 40 years ago and they have disappeared over the years.........

Good Luck!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
Chuck
Chuck...A note of thanks here, too...Never thought about that bushing die-cutting into the wood! Good info here!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 10:46:23 PM »
Here's where I am so far, getting very close to final sanding and finish. Looking good if I do not say so myself. lol  8)

Plane looks great, but with those props it's gonna fly backwards, at least for a second or two. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »
That is one good lookin' plane!!  Great job!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here