News:

• May 03, 2024, 01:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Scale Question  (Read 787 times)

Offline Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Profile Scale Question
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
Profile Scale is for models with silhouette like fuselages. But what about external stores, such as fuel tanks, bombs, rockets, and the like. By definition should they be profile as well?
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Profile Scale Question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
I would say you can make them flat or up the maximum allowable profile thickness.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
What does the rule book say?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
Look in the proposed rules on the AMA web site, I don't recall seeing anything about the drop tanks or bombs. The rules are clear about the profile nacelles and fuselage but not sure about the bombs and drop tanks attached to the wing.

The current set of rules are being replaced, so whatever is printed there will be replaced with the new rules if they are approved

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
I did not see anything relating to this point in the current rules or the proposed rules. The rules do cover dropping stores but I wasn't going there.

I built a .09 powered profile sport model of the Beguine  some years ago and did the tip radiator pods in profile. It came off pretty well.

It just seemed to me that doing everything in profile, providing it was done well, would make sense and should not be downgraded.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:53:55 AM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »
They definitely wouldn't be downgraded.  When you build a profile scale ship it's understood the front view is going to be about dihedral, placement, and things such as that, but not thickness.  I just re-read the rules and stores and drop tanks are not mentioned, so I would interpret that as anything on the airplane would be subject to the thickness rules that apply to the fuse' and nacelles.  So I would agree with Paul's post on this point.
At least that's the way I would judge it.  It is really neat to see droppable stores and tanks represented if the full scale ship used them, I think it's a great touch.  Just my opinion.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here