News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C/L scale imput wanted  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
C/L scale imput wanted
« on: October 05, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
Gentlemen, as you know NASA has had raffles in the past and it has always been R/C stuff. I had a long conversation with Mark Latterman and Mike Barbee and this year NASA will do one for C/L.

I need your ideas for a ARF airplane package for C/L fun scale. (Engine size 1/2A and up, 1/5th or 1/6th  scale, high wing or low wing, civilian or military, ect.) If all works out this airplane will be ready to fly, engine, J Roberts 3 line controls and I will build it and have it ready for next years Nats. to give away.

You can post them here or send me a pm... fcm95@comcast.net

On a nether note, Mark would appreciate pictures and articles on your airplanes, building projects or finished and flying. If we want to see C/L stuff in the newsletter we need to send it in to: mark@airbornemedia.com.
NASA will work for all of us if we are a part of it. Join NASA and we can grow scale, especially C/L.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: C/L scale imput wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
Pick an ARF in the 45-60 inch wing span range that has iron film so they can recover the model. The foam models are more difficult to Change markings so that they match the documentation.

The problem with most ARF models is that you can not take them directly in fun scale because the markings are not based on a real airplane.

I would let the pilot decide what form of throttle control system they want to use. We had every form of electronic controls and 3-line at the nats this year. If you did put in 3-line anyone that flew with electronic controls would replace it something else.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
I don't know of a lot of ARF U-control scale unless you look at converting RC.
Attached is a fun scale I did a while back from a RC arf.  I found a real aircraft that was close and trimmed it out a little.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
I don't know of a lot of ARF U-control scale unless you look at converting RC.
Attached is a fun scale I did a while back from a RC arf.  I found a real aircraft that was close and trimmed it out a little.

John,

That's a really great looking model. Ya gotta tell me who's 3-blade prop that is?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
Website is

Www.nasascale.org
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 12:04:20 AM »
John,

That's a really great looking model. Ya gotta tell me who's 3-blade prop that is?

Charles
It's a Master Airscrew 3-Blade G/F Nylon Propeller, painted white - added red trim sheet after rounding tips. Then added decals.  Back side is black.  It's for looks only.  Way too big for flight.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
It's a Master Airscrew 3-Blade G/F Nylon Propeller, painted white - added red trim sheet after rounding tips. Then added decals.  Back side is black.  It's for looks only.  Way too big for flight.

John,

Beautiful blossoms on that tree in the background, adds color and interest to your photo. Done deliberately I'll bet. Kudos.

What size prop is that?  
Charles
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:04:25 AM by Avaiojet »
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
Allen

I am going to put together an article on my profile B-29, you might consider doing one for your Ryan and buffalo.

I am going to cover how the plans were done, electronics, sizing the model, how it was built, the wing tubes, paint, etc.

It would nice see what paint and covering you used on the Ryan. And how you did the rivets and the surface detail. Are you using Clancy's control system? Also would be interesting what options you use during the flight portion of FAI competition

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Mark Lanterman

• New Pilot
    • National Association of Scale Aeromodelers
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 06:48:34 AM »
Hi Guys.

Allen told me about your forum, so I've signed up to give you a "target" to aim at! ;) I'm a member of the NASA board, their newsletter editor (Replica) as well as their webmaster (www.NASAscale.org). I've been a scale competitor on the R/C side of things for many years now.

NASA Raffle...
Thanks for your input so far on the possibility of putting together a second raffle package that could also appeal to C/L interests. In talking with Allen and seeing the input so far, it appears that a .60-.90 sized aerobatic design (Cap, Extra, Edge, etc.) in a scale color scheme might be the right fit. There sure are a lot of possibilities out there and hopefully we can get something together.

By the way, information on our current P-47 raffle package is here: http://www.nasascale.org/raffle.htm

And on the articles/photos/contests/etc. for the Replica...
I would welcome any print-worthy articles, tips, and contest coverage that I could include in the Replica, the NASA website, and/or the NASA Flickr site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99965155@N02/sets/). If you know of anyone that can help, please have them contact me directly either by email mark@airbornemedia.com or by phone - 513-755-7494.

Lastly, if you're not a member of NASA, I would invite you to join.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Mark Lanterman
Airborne Media • 888-829-4060

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
Mark,

I am planning articles on the following topics, let me know if you want something different:

1) Nats 2013 coverage with pictures for CL scale
2) how I built and details on the B-29 that I built for CL profile scale that took National Champ
3) An article on what research is done before any Scale model can be built, this will also apply to RC scale

As for the Raffle the P-47 you have planned for any CL pilot is way to big

The CL raffle needs to be under 16 lbs and also be careful what throttle control system you put in, there are many throttle control systems available. 3-line is the old traditional mechanical one that has been used for a very long time. 2.4 Ghz is now legal but some folks don't like it. There are other "down the wire" electronic controls that do not involve an RF signal but these are all different (5 or more choices). Bottom line is you will not be able to satisfy everyone with the throttle control system you pick for the model. 3-lineis probably the best one to go with since it will work and if they do want to install electronic they just cut the 3rd line and install a servo and electronics of their choice and keep the 3-line bellcrank for the elevator.

And as you well know some folks like electric over glow, again we can't satisfy everyone, pick one and they can work it work out.

The problem I see some ARF's is that the paint scheme is not based on any full airplane you can get documentation on. Make sure you can get documentation for the ARF so they are not forced to strip and recover the model so that it fits the documentation for any fun scale competition. I had to strip and recover my Great planes combat Corsair because of this reason.

Those are my thoughts,
Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »
I gotta chip in here with an advertisement - Mark also provides some fantastic documentation discs for scale.  I have his Tri-Pacer one and it's absolutely great.The fact that he competes in scale is reflected very strongly in his documentation packages.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
Mark,

I would only offer "kits" as prizes. Real kits.

Teach a man to fish and he eats for life. Throw a man a fish and he chows down one meal.

Yeah, I know I don't have that right, but you get the idea.

Charles

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
one thing to understand is that some folks have no room in their car when the leave the Nats, so getting a fully built large model and be expected to take it with you might not be possible.

I would also rather have a warbird or a civilian model, you don't see a lot of aerobatic models in CL scale.

Just my thoughts
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »
Fred makes an excellent point concerning the size of the model.  And, I also would prefer a warbird or civilian over an aerobatic job.  Maybe a high wing bird for the stability in a smaller model?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here