News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:49:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heinkel He-100  (Read 1102 times)

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Heinkel He-100
« on: December 03, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
Gentlemen,

My Jack Sheeks Heinkel He-100 is about 75% completed. 

Just started putting on the dope to start finishing the process.  Unexpected, I have run into a problem.  Attempted to find a Clip Art file to make the decals for the Iron Cross and Swastika.  Was not able to find any Clip Art URL's that had the two designs.

I am not inclined to go an any wacko URL's.

Are you familiar with Clip Art files for the Iron Cross and Swastika?

t michael jennings         ''

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: Heinkel He-100
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:45:58 PM »
Do you really need to have clip art?  What I'd do is go to www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and do an image search for whatever marking you're after, or search for pictures of whatever plane you're working with, or a similar more common plane that used the same markings.  If it's something really common you can even find decal sheets intended for plastic models and then clean them up and blow them up to the size you need in photoshop.  Also if you have an existing decal that's the wrong size you can scan it into a computer, and alter the size. 

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »
I Googled Top Flite Focke Wulf and got a lot of hits. I think they probably could be bought from them and save you a lot of time and effort.
Chris...

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:05:07 PM »
You can order any of Guillow's water slide decals or canopys direct from them pretty cheap. They have a Stuka, ME109 and Focke Wulf 190.
You will need to call them and place a $20.00 minium credit card order.   P.S. It is pronounced YILLOWS. The gal that answered the phone pronounced it that way and I almost thought I had the wrong number!
                                                                                                                                    Mike

Paul K. Guillow, Inc.
40 New Salem Street
P.O. Box 229
Wakefield, MA 01880
USA Phone:  781-245-5255
Fax:  781-245-4738

mike potter

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 12:55:16 AM »

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 08:25:48 AM »
Michael,

Kyle Tankersley does computer cutting of painting stencils for some of the country's best scale modelers.  he has an extensive collection of information on German paint schemes and has done stencils for same.  He could provide whatever you need.  cost would depend on what you need but will certainly be cheaper if you stick with stuff already in his computer.

Kyle recently did the stencils for my Mustunt IV which will be finished in a mock German fighter finish.  He sized some of his stock stuff to fit my airplane.

tanks-hangar.com

Al
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 09:29:59 AM by Al Rabe »

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »
Beginning with the critical Mass, I have been using vinyl appliqués and stencils, more with each new airplane as familiarity with the medium increases.  My usual technique would have been to apply frisket to the airplane, then do the layout and cutting on the airplane.  The prospect of laying out each letter of the left and right side "Critical Mass" graphics was so daunting, I let the airplane sit for two years finished in silver.  I considered using decals but feared they wouldn't appear bright enough when applied over a black background.  I wasn't anxious to try vinyl stencils or appliqués but couldn't see any other way to reproduce the unusual "Critical Mass" graphics with accuracy and precision.  With the Critical Mass, I needed photo realistic, full color logos for the cowling.  I was also concerned with the tapering "Critical Mass" lettering down the side of the fuselage in a very characteristic font.  Finally, I sought help.  A local sign shop was able to produce the cowling logos from a photo that I cleaned up and resized in Photoshop.  These were expensive.  They costs $30 for a full sheet of left and right logos after I provided the artwork, ready to cut, on a CD.

Kyle Tankersley did the artwork for the fuselage logos and racing numerals.  He copied enlarged side view photographs and turned these copies into files for cutting vinyl for a reasonable price.  I'm not sure that a sign shop would have even tried to create model size artwork from poor quality photographs, much less done it for a affordable price.  By using Kyle, I was dealing with a modeler who understands airplanes and Corel.  Who knows whether a sign shop technician would have, or could have, done the quality of artwork actually used.  With the data files in hand, I shopped around for someone to cut vinyl for me.  I used Callie Graphics in Albuquerque who produced two sets of everything both in stencils and appliqués.  I don't recall exactly, but I think these were $20.  Faced with the problem of exactly placing the fuselage lettering precisely within the black stripe, I used the appliqués.  I'm glad I ordered extras for that first try.  The first "Critical Mass" didn't position with the precision I wanted.  I had to peel the first "Critical Mass" off, one letter at a time, and replace it.  As you can see, the results are all that could be wished for.

I was completely satisfied with the use of the appliqués used on the Critical Mass, but vinyl appliqués are slightly thicker and heavier than paint.  When decorating the Millennium Cavalier, I decided to try stencils.  At least, that was my first thought.  Faced with major masking for each of the three colors in the national insignia, it was obvious that using appliqués for these insignias would save a great deal of work and have a precise appearance.  National insignia appliqués were available custom sized to fit specific locations.  The rest of the major markings were all painted in yellow using vinyl stencils.  This was my first experience using the stencils,  They turned out to be an easy to apply and resulted in clean sharp lettering.  The stencils had a very nice adhesive tack.  Once applied there was no need for any additional preparation before painting, and they peeled off nicely without threatening to pull my finish.  I was becoming increasingly a fan of laser cut computer graphics.

If you haven't used vinyl appliqués before, here is a word of caution.  National insignia, for example, are commonly built up using a blue vinyl layer, followed by a white layer and then topped with another layer of red bars.  If these layers are each two mills thick, the complete National Insignia will be impossible to bury in a coat of clear.  Better providers of laser graphics would use a blue vinyl background and printed colors for a much thinner appliqué.  Ask before you order.  I used Cajun RC Specialties National Insignia.  They worked well, but were expensive.

Now, I'm decorating my newest airplane, a Saito 91 powered BBFB Bearcat.  This airplane offered the perfect opportunity to save work and produce excellent paint graphics using stencils.  The official Navy paint scheme for the Bearcat was basically all white graphics and lettering on an overall glossy Sea Blue.  Insignia Blue isn't used when painting the national insignia on Navy Sea Blue backgrounds.  Here was an opportunity to do the complete set of graphics with vinyl stencils.  I had templates of the graphics from painting the BBQB and liked the appearance of the markings on that airplane very much.  I took the templates to Kyle and we entered them into a data file.  The markings are the same as the BBQB except that airplane number was changed from "201" to "210".  While we were at it, the edge of the stencils were tailored to provide alignment of the graphics.  For example, the fuselage side stencil had a half circle cutout to fit the leading edge of the stabilizer, and was cut to fit the wing and flap trailing edge with a notch to indicate the desired location of the flap hinge line.  On Kyle's computer it looked like there might be as much as eight square feet of stencils.  I expected these to cost about $20.  Actually,  by the time we had added some extra details such as wheel wells, AMA numbers and red national insignia bars, it finally added up to a total of about fourteen square feet of stencils and cost $40.  I e-mailed Callie the data files on a Thursday and received the box of vinyl two days later on Saturday.  At first blush the price seemed a bit steep, but considering the amount of work saved and the appearance of the resulting paint job, I decided it was worth the cost.

All seems to be proceeding well.  The stencils are in place, the airplane is completely masked and the white will go on today.

Beginning with the Millennium Mustang I have been using laser cut frisket stencils for all of the small lettering on my airplanes.  Kyle can cut a sheet of stencils quite reasonably in any size or font.  A sheet of stencils can have thirty or forty cleanly cut words or phrases.  One simply cuts them out, sticks them on the model, and squirts them with paint.  Like my previous airplanes, the new BBFB will have all of the minor graphics applied using Kyle's frisket stencils.  The photo of frisket graphics is typical but not the exact set I will be using.

I guess it is hard not to appreciate the many ways computers can simplify some of our jobs while improving quality.  Its probably only fitting that an airplane constructed from all laser cut wooden pieces be finished in laser cut graphics.

Al         

Callie Graphics                 
P.O. Box 95138                 
505-293-2922
Albuquerque, NM  87199-5138                         
info@callie-graphics.com

Cajun R/C Specialties
306 Mary St.
Broussard LA 70581
(337) 269-5177

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 05:14:05 AM »
Al;
    I used vinyl stencils for the first time on my little Perky Model. I had them done at a local sign shop. I was greatly impressed. I'm having them creat some RFC national insignia stencils for my little camel so I can redo the markings I had painted on last year. I never liked the results so I have not flown the the little Camel.

Leroy

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Heinkel He-100
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:16 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice on making the Iron Cross and Swastika.

In the end I made my own.  Went to the local library and found the largest Iron Cross and Swastika in the book.  Scanned these into a JPEG file.  Printed them out and the edges were ragged and not usable as decals.

Then I printed each of them out the largest that would fit on an 8 X 11.5 piece of white paper.  Then I cut out the shapes with a sharp exacto knife.  Then took a black sheet out of my wife's Scrap Book.  Turned over the sheet that I cut out, so there was no printing edges showing and laid the black sheet over the cutout.  Then proceeded to scan into a JPEG file.

Now I have large files of an Iron Cross and Swastika.  Therefore they can be shrunk to any size needed.

The Iron Cross is printed on white background Bel Inc. Decal Paper for Ink Jet printers.  The Swastika is printed on clear background Bel Inc. Decal Paper.

Additonal detail photos of this model aircraft can be found on another forum under Heinkel He-100 Completed.

Thanks again for the ideas that you provided.

t michael jennings

S?P

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:56:29 PM »
Great post....AL~ AS USUAL...GREAT PHOTOS TOO~~~ H^^
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags: