Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Scale Models

Builder of the model?

(1/6) > >>

Hemi Steve:
Recently, a local "expert" opined that my Authentic Scale entry in the upcoming Nats will be disqualified due to the "builder of the model" rule. He believes that because the model has a fiberglass fuselage.  My model does have a fiberglass fuselage which I got as a set of un-joined left and right fuselage halves and an un-joined cowl. There wasn't any internal structure or cockpit and no molded in surface details all of which I had to do during the construction and finishing.  He maintains that the fiberglass parts represents too much prefabrication.  I've easily got more than 1000 man hours in the model. The labor savings from the fiberglass parts represents a very small fraction of the total effort.  Are the fiberglass parts a disqualifier for Authentic Scale?

Dan McEntee:
  I don't have an answer to your question, but the AMA rule book should, or find some one on the scale contest board to answer the question. The AMA web site is modelaircraft.org and follow your nose there. Might even be a good idea to d own load anything that may be of interest to you or necessary for you to compete.
  Type at you later, and good luck!
    Dan McEntee

Avaiojet:

--- Quote from: Hemi Steve on April 11, 2021, 06:34:01 AM ---Recently, a local "expert" opined that my Authentic Scale entry in the upcoming Nats will be disqualified due to the "builder of the model" rule. He believes that because the model has a fiberglass fuselage.  My model does have a fiberglass fuselage which I got as a set of un-joined left and right fuselage halves and an un-joined cowl. There wasn't any internal structure or cockpit and no molded in surface details all of which I had to do during the construction and finishing.  He maintains that the fiberglass parts represents too much prefabrication.  I've easily got more than 1000 man hours in the model. The labor savings from the fiberglass parts represents a very small fraction of the total effort.  Are the fiberglass parts a disqualifier for Authentic Scale?

--- End quote ---

Maybe the guy just has a thing for the BOM rule because he knows modelers have been lying about it for decades.

Even paint and finish.

I'd like to see photos of this model, many, including myself have a serious interest in scale.

1000 hours, it must be outstanding.

CB

Paul Smith:
There are sure a lot of shades of gray between the WHITE of a true product of your own labor and the BLACK of a factory-made "model" which is perfect in every detail but not the modelers work.

The gods of the rule have added "Team Scale" so one modeler can build the model and have it flown by a pilot, but this is still the work of a modeler, not a factory.

I would say that a fibreglass fuselage is typical of the kit of today and within the scope of the rule.  Other factory parts such as canopies, wheels, and engine cowls are routinely accepted, as well a props not carved by the contestant.

chuck snyder:
Steve,
It would have been a legitimate entry to me when I ran C/L scale at the Nats several years ago.
Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version