Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Scale Models

Builder of the model?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Bob Heywood:

--- Quote from: Hemi Steve on April 14, 2021, 06:12:49 AM ---A few posts back Aviojet asked for pictures.  The model is covered with masking tape and painting stencils at the moment but I have what might be a better way to showcase the effort I have expended to prepare this model.  A little background first.  About 7 years ago I was asked to write a "how to" article for my clubs newsletter.  I created a banner naming the article "Some Assembly Required". The article was well received and since then I think I've done more than 70  articles I think.  When I decided to fly in the Scale Nationals I made the further decision to repurpose an R/C model for the competition.  Years ago I scratch built (except for the glass fuselage shells) a nicely detailed 1/6.8 scale FW-190 that I never worked up the courage to fly.  I thought I could convert it to C/L and have a reasonably competitive model.  I started a series of articles that began with the conversion.  As I dug deeper into what I had to do to get the model ready, I realized that the documentation that I used to build the original model would not cut it.  So I gathered documents for another version.  So what started as a simple idea expanded into a complete re-do of the model to match the target 1:1 aircraft.  So, starting with the January 2020 article I documented the work to prepare the model for the 2021 Nats.  If you are interested, here is a link to the "Skywriter" Newsletter index. the conversion work starts with the January 2020 issue.     http://www.skymasters.org/index.php?page=newsletters&year=2020    I missed a couple of months for my cancer surgery.  For the purpose of the "Some Assembly Required" articles I felt that my readers were getting burned out on the FW-190 project so I switched to the scratch build of a 50's vintage stunter called Fierce Arrow.  Work on the FW-190 continued in parallel and I''ll do a final article in a month or so.  Anyway, that's the story.  I've attached a picture of the full scale of my model.  It's a very nicely restored and documented FW-190 F8 R1 on display in the National Air and Space Museum.

Steve

--- End quote ---

Steve, Very nice work. Looks to me like you are the EXPERT!

I have a couple of the Avengers. They are working their way to the top of the list.

Avaiojet:
Steve,

Thank you for this.

The kit you started with, do you remember who produced the kit.

Good luck at the NATs.

CB

Hemi Steve:
I didn't build the model from a kit.  I bought the un-joined fuselage and cowl from a friend who bought it from another guy.  This was about 25 years ago or so. the fuselage and cowl parts came with a set of Brian Taylor drawings and a rough canopy.  I worked from the Brian Taylor drawings and cut a foam wing and stab and fabricated everything else as was my practice in those days.  I put in a set of Robart air retracts and fabricated the oleo struts

When I decided to redo the cockpit I found a source of canopies for the Brian Taylor design in England.  Following Dave Platts law number 7 (7.  Live by the principle of scarfology. Things disappear from the marketplace, so scarf them up while the scarfing is good) I bought 2. 

Some friends and I went to the "new" Toledo swap meet last Friday.  There was a guy there who had an FW-190 fuselage, cowl and canopy just like mine except they were already joined.  He wanted $100. I was really tempted but the more I thought about it I decided I don't want to do another one.  Too many other interesting subjects to choose from for the next effort.

Steve

John Rist:
Back in 2011 I campaigned an Extra 300S.  Built from a Great Planes RC kit.  The kit came with a molded fiber glass cowling in the kit.  No body complained that I didn't mold my own cowling.  You really don't have a problem!!!   y1

Tim Wescott:
Unless you start with a plot of land in Ecuador and some balsa seeds, you're just not doing it right!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version