News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:41:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak scale shoestring  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak scale shoestring
« on: February 12, 2023, 10:41:53 AM »
Did you build the Brodak scale shoestring kit
Can I get your contact info
A fellow modeler have some questions
Fred Quedenfeld

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Brodak scale shoestring
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 09:18:40 PM »
I got this comment on my youtube channel with Sparky flying his Shoestring model. Is Paul Miller the same person you referring to?

Question from Paul Miller - Fred or anyone I am trying to build this ship and I’m having a herd time   I can’t make out the plans from brodak. One the pictures are terrible I can’t see anything but grey nothing stands out. But the stringers and the end of the plane with the saddle block. It calls for a piece of 5/8 x3 x7 I don’t understand it can someone help please

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 04:15:27 PM »
Hey Fred and Fred I see my name yes this is Paul and still have difficulties with the build   The kit seems to be missing some pieces. I called brodak and they are sending parts but unfortunately there is no one to help with the instructions.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 01:13:57 PM »
Hey Fred and Fred I see my name yes this is Paul and still have difficulties with the build   The kit seems to be missing some pieces. I called brodak and they are sending parts but unfortunately there is no one to help with the instructions.
another Fred here...
if you post pictures of the plans we may be helpfull to find out
regards

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 03:24:15 PM »
I’m  not even sure if I can post pictures. I’m sure it would help but I get a message  saying it’s to big 

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 03:34:25 PM »
If anyone has the planes it’s step 45 about glueing the 20 inch stringers into place but then in step46 It says turn the fuselage over onto a block of balsa wood that is 5/8 x 2 “x 7 “and mark the outside profile of the fuselage starting with former  f12. We’ll first off the kit did not have that block. But anyway I can’t explain it with showing you the print and the plans   It Frustrating   

So I figured I would start build the wing and give that step a break but another problem. It supposed to have airerons but there is no instructions for them either. Just one complete wing made in 2 half’s

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 06:46:10 PM »
If anyone has the planes it’s step 45 about glueing the 20 inch stringers into place but then in step46 It says turn the fuselage over onto a block of balsa wood that is 5/8 x 2 “x 7 “and mark the outside profile of the fuselage starting with former  f12. We’ll first off the kit did not have that block. But anyway I can’t explain it with showing you the print and the plans   It Frustrating   

So I figured I would start build the wing and give that step a break but another problem. It supposed to have airerons but there is no instructions for them either. Just one complete wing made in 2 half’s

Sparky has given out a shout for you on the main forum. Drop him a message and establish contact. I would have to be right there next to you reading the manual and seeing what you have built so far. I don't have the kit.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 10:21:53 AM »
Thanks Dan

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 08:31:30 PM »
One life,
I use an Android phone with an APP called PixResizer to shrink pictures taken by it. I know there is a Windows PC freeware by the same name.

I bet there is an iPhone equivalent too.

The bonus is being able to set a reduced file size not to exceed 900kb threshold and let the app reduce to that size for posting here.

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 11:55:33 AM »
This is so frustrating. The plan says to follow the steps lol. Step 50 says put the saddle block into place as far as you can. Set the fourth stringer from the bottom ( the one that you didn’t glue  into place in STEP 55)
Lol wtf.
So I go to step 55 and there is no reference at all about a stringer
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 03:23:24 PM by Onelife »

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 01:31:15 AM »
I appreciate everyone trying to help but bad plans and the  instructions they send all with the cut list is the kicker.
The plan also calls for ailerons. It states ailerons are built in  to allow trim for a level flight because the plan has a tendency to roll inward.
First number 1- the wing is built in 2 pieces , and the very first instructionis is to buy there wing jig ,another 40 bucks or so ,on top of the 400 , give or take for the kit

2 - there is no instructions on the print to build the ailerons

3- the cut list is incomplete there is no material for ailerons.
I’m not even a third of the way thru.

But I’m the one to blame for lack of experience
I Amit ,  I’m not the brightest  bulb in the pack ,but I never Claimed  to be either.

My opinion I do not recommend this kit if your not use to building this type of kit
 and have some extra cash for what you will have to buy for what is lacking, oh and don’t forget shipping
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:53:44 AM by Onelife »

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 02:08:54 PM »
Try this series on You Tube….
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Advertise Here