News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:42:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bill Harney?  (Read 460 times)

posthole_digger

• Trade Count: (0)
Bill Harney?
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
More than 35 years ago I met a fellow in Massachusetts whose name I think was Bill Harney. He built UC scale models and competed on the national level. At the time, he was finishing a Zero and was going through a divorce. I remember it included a gun sight that was projected on the windshield - a fantastic model.

Anyone remember him? Know what happened to him? Were any of his designs published?

Paul

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: Bill Harney?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »
Paul,

I remember Bill Harney quite well.  We were teammates on the 1974 U.S. Scale Team.  Bill was flying his Zero at that World Championships.

Sadly, Bill is now gone.  He passed away in February 2008. 

The last decade or so of Bill's life in modeling was dedicated to researching and building a world class model of Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra.  Here is a link about that:
http://www.tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/harneydrawings.html

Bill was one of the best scale modelers I ever knew - the others being Dave Platt and Claude McCullough (who coincidently died a couple weeks before Bill).  Bill was the consumate gentleman.

Mike Gretz

posthole_digger

Re: Bill Harney?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:53:12 AM »
Thanks for the response Mike. Its been a long, long time since I saw Bill last. He was indeed a craftsman.

Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here