News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: B 25  (Read 3385 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
B 25
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
I am wanting to build a B25.  Who has or where can I get the plans for this model?  Also if there is more than one designer I would like to know which plan is the best to build from.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: B 25
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
If you can find a old set of Royal B-25 plans that might work but have lots of building with large blocks of wood with lots of sanding.

look on www.rcuniverse.com and they might have some sources for B-25 plans listed there. You will probably have to take an RC plan and convert it to CL.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Online don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:11:02 PM »
Hey Mike.

Look up "Paul Delgatto  B-25 semi scale stunt" on Google.
It is semi scale with the normal stretched wing and stab.
Supposedly flies a decent pattern but probably not too good on square corners.
It is a full fuse and nacelles item but I have always planned to build it as a profile for two Veco 19's.
Plans are available where you find the item on Google.
Good luck!
Don Boka.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »

Didn't Windy build a B-25 semi-scale a few years back?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
I'll be watching this one... love the B25....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 06:22:37 AM »
If the goal is to fly in cl scale competition make sure you get a set of plans that have accurate outlines. There are lots of RC designs out there, some are a too large and would have to reduced in size but have accurate outlines.

If the goal is to enter cl aerobatics the semi-scale plans are a good choice.

The static portion in CL scale wants to see accurate outlines that match the 3-views, otherwise you get large point deductions when the outlines don't match the 3-views.

Either way the B-25 is a great looking aircraft

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Mike Griffin

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I have the plans by Paul Delgatto but I have a couple of questions.  Nowhere on the plans can I find any mention or diagrams of wing dihedral.  Is there any dihedral in the wing.  Secondly on the plans the leadouts run right through where the fuel tanks are located in the nacelles.  I am trying to figure out how to re route them.

Thanks for any help on this

Mike

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
I am looking at the Paul DelGatto article in the Feb/Mar 63 issue of Flying Models for his semi scale stunt version of the B-25.  The photographs do no show any indication of the "gull wing" dihedral that was a characteristic of the full scale aircraft.  The photographs as well as the plans indicate a straight wing, as in no dihedral.  The wing thickness tapers from root to tip, much like a "typical" stunt design. Given this is designed for stunt to look like the B-25, the lack of dihedral does not appear to detract significantly from its appearance, unless you are a true desciple of Al Rabe.  In fact, the plans show the center spar layout with no dihedral whatsovever or any indication that there are dihedral breaks on the center line of the wing or at the nacelles.  Furthermore, there wre no provisions whatsoever to allow for dihdral breaks for the flaps at nacelles, though he does show a split horn at the center section for the swept forward flaps (which in my opinion is not needed - this can be done either with a "Lucky Box"/single horn or better yet a single horn and NO Lucky Box.)  His written article does not mention anything about dihedral, but in keeping with what he wrote, aside from keeping a scale like appearance, he desired to keep this simple.

The plans show the bellcrank and leadouts at the chord center line.  The article does not mention any particular attention to the leadouts relative to the tank.  However, the tank does set mostly above the wing chord line, it would not seen to be very much of a problem to have theat fron leadouy pas below the tank and hve the leadout guides to be slightly below the wing tip airfoil dhordline.

LeRoy Black of Phoenix built one of these and flew it several times at the Vintage Stunt Championships several years go.  You might want to contact him regarding the question of leadout position relative to the fuel tank and any questions you might have about the dihedral.

Good Luck

Keith

Mike Griffin

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 05:43:55 PM »
Thank you Keith for confirming what I thought by looking at the plan.  I had e mailed Wynn Robbins in Australia because I remember he built one of these too only to have it destroyed in a move before he finished it.  He e mailed me back and said the same thing Keith that it was designed with no dihedral.  He also said the same thing about the leadout that you did about running it under the tank floor. 

I will try and give Leroy a call and see if he can give me advice also.  I have made some copies of the plans and right now I am in the process of cutting them up to make templates.  This is one project I am not going to rush and take my time with.

Thank you for taking the time to look at those plans and get back with me Keith.  I apprciate that very much.

Regards
Mike

Mike Griffin

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
Here are the PDF plans to Paul Delgatto's B25 incase any of you would like to build it

Mike

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
Here is the Wing Plan for the B25 in PDF

Mike

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Mike,

Some things to think about regarding those leadouts. 

1.  That idea to run the leadouts through the tank is an elegant idea.  Things like that can work.  I have a four engine scale model where it was necessary to run the throttle pushrods through each of the tanks.  That kind of work puts a premium on you soldering ability, but it took care of a problem.  Your issue of doing this with the B-25 where at least the forward leadout would go through the tanks creates a problem if you have to change the tank to change the plumbing or fix any leaks in the tank where you would want to remove the tank from the model which can be expected sometime during the service life of your model.  Tough to do with a leadout going through it unless you figure out a way to disconnect your leadout somehow.

2.  An alternative would be to consider that nice thick wing.  It is probably thick enough so you can lower the bellcrank position as much as possible to the bottom of the airfoil section and the leadout might possibly clear the bottom of the tank on its way to the leadout guide centered on the inboard wing tip chord line.  You will probably have to put a slot in each of the motor mounts for the leadout to pass through.

3.  Another thought would be to just move the bellcrank rearward enough so that the leadout clears the rear of the tank.  It looks like there is room to do that.  Remember that the bellcrank can be positioned anywhere on the model.  What is important is the leadout position relative to the CG.  Also, you will want to keep the angle between where the leadout enters and exits the leadout guide to a minimum, but moving the bellcrank someting like 1,5 to 2 inches aft will not create that much of a problem at the leadout guides.

4.  Make a shorter tank which means that it will have to be wider.  That might create some problems on how to mount the thing inside that nacelle and also might not help you with getting a good engine run.

I am sure LeRoy can give you some good ideas.  His model flew very well (which he can do) and the thing looked terrific.

Keith

Mike Griffin

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
Thank you again Keith for some great ideas.  I am going to call Leroy today and see what advice he can give me on this...will let you know..

Mike

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
Now i'll have to build one...
Thanks Mike!!!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »
Now i'll have to build one...
Thanks Mike!!!!!

Marcus

I am a bad influence Marcus.. #^ #^ #^  have you got the plans?  If you dont I will be glad to e mail you a PDF of them>

Mike

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »
Hi Mike,
     I just became a member of a Museum in Port Clinton,Ohio that has an Oskosh award winning recently restored B-25J "Georgies Gal".It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line!!!Documentation will be easy for this and my mind is wandering.I guess you are a bad influence LL~ LL~ An electric version will cure the tank/leadout problem.I can toss in the timers for stunt and a 2.4gh setup for funscale.Now my mind is really wandering.
                                                                           Thanx Mike,Trax H^^ H^^ H^^
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Mike Griffin

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
Did I start something here? #^ #^ #^ #^ #^

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
I am a bad influence Marcus.. #^ #^ #^  have you got the plans?  If you dont I will be glad to e mail you a PDF of them>

Mike

Yeah Mike

Downloaded and ready to be printed.
You are the kind of bad influence that we need... VD~

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Hi Mike,

I have a hand cut short kit I did of the Del Gatto B-25 a couple years ago.  It will be on the table after I get the present ones finished.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
I am wanting to build a B25.  Who has or where can I get the plans for this model?  Also if there is more than one designer I would like to know which plan is the best to build from.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Mike,
Didn't you know that Walt Umland cuts that kit. Give him a call and get started on it.

Dennis

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 04:23:05 AM »

Mike,
Didn't you know that Walt Umland cuts that kit. Give him a call and get started on it.

Dennis

Walter does? Man, that's amazing!
Gonna get in touch with him.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
Hi Dennis

No I did not know that Walter had that kit.  I have not talked with Walter in a while but I noticed that I missed a call from him today and that might be what he is trying to get in touch with me about.. I will give him a call back tomorrow...Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »
Mike, have you been checking out "Plane-A-Day",  especially today and the archives.   Some great pictures.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline victorss

• New Pilot
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
My B-25 is a modification of a 1950's Berkley kit converted to a J model and painted in the color scheme of the the 345 bomb group commonly known as the Air Apache's. I am trying to post a picture but thus far I have been unsuccessful. It has a 42 Inch WS, weighs 3.5 lbs. It is electric powered using 2 PJS 3D 800E electric motors and 11.1 V Lipo batteries and 7-4 props. It has throttle and flaps. It fly's great. I built it in 06 and is now after many many flights is being redone.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:44:15 PM by victorss »

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
My B-25 is a modification of a 1950's Berkley kit converted to a J model and painted in the color scheme of the the 345 bomb group commonly known as the Air Apache's. I am trying to post a picture but thus far I have been unsuccessful. It has a 42 Inch WS, weighs 3.5 lbs. It is electric powered using 2 PJS 3D 800E electric motors and 11.1 V Lipo batteries and 7-4 props. It has throttle and flaps. It fly's great. I built it in 06 and is now after many many flights is being redone.

Send me the pics... I'll post for you...
Emailed Walter U. to know of the kit....
Maybe he could run a "special batch" ...
Hope he answers me....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
Had this link in my "bookmarks" for victorss's B25.  Hope you don't mind:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400541
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »

Victor(?),

Your B-25 looks very, very nice. Hard to believe it came from a Berkeley kit, WOW! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
Very nice indeed!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »
Well, my kit is ready for shipping, and I friend got me these...
I know it's not true scale, but it's allowed, ain't it?
Power will be 2 Enyas 25SS.
Such a cool ship...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
Got the short kit by Walter U. today!!! ;D
This Project is not 100% scale, but I'll try to give it the most details I can.
I thought of using two Enya 25's but some friends think it might be better to go with the .20.
Gotta figure out the front leadout wayn thru the wing, and maybe the .20's will be better 'cause I can go with a smaller tank.
The kit is amazing,like all kits from Walter.
It will take me a couple months to get this started... Can't wait!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »

This will be a pretty ambitious project, please keep us posted with your progress Marcus.

Do these photos show the all of the short kit parts or is there more that we are not seeing here? Either way, I'd be really interested in seeing some more photos of the short kit parts. Thanks.

Wayne Willey

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:39 AM »
Wayne

Just saw your post. As soon as I'm off work I'll post more pics for you then...
Yeah, nice ship!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »
Marcus,

Great project, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
Here are a few more pics.
That's the short kit. Nice thing is there's a bill of materials that will help me sort out what I have to buy to complete the kit.
I asked Walter to choose for me where and where not to go with contest grade, since he's the expert, but I would say it's all contest for the quality of everything.
This one is a Project to savor...
Thank you Walter for another piece of fine work!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
The "Mark"

Beam mounts I see.

Will you go radial if you use IC or are you going with the big "E"?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »
Beautiful parts...Plan is excellent. Makes me wish I was there with a hand in it! Two 20s sound reasonable.

Another build I'm enjoying following!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
 Thanks for the pics Marcus. And FWIW this will be a tough design to keep light, I'd stick with using the .25's, at least. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
Maybe two 30s????
This is going to be fun!!!
I'll keep you guys posted...
Life has been on the way, but it'll soon get better, it always does...
Thanks people

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here