News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:36:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aeronca L  (Read 2831 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Aeronca L
« on: June 09, 2020, 06:27:23 AM »
time to build a scale model to change from the usual stunt machines that i build
this is the Aeronca L a rare bird with great vintage looks. plans are exact scale over accurate 3 views
72" wingspan, the RC version of same size used a 60 for power i am still deciding if will go with a saito 78 4cy or electric (more likely)
3 cable system and full fuse body
got full painting and markings documentation from the guy that restored the one on the picture.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Aeronca L
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
Nice!  That's on my list of planes I'd like to build.

If you want to go with the three-wire and an electric motor, I can help you with a "reverse servo" that'll take arm position in and give you a throttle signal out.  Mechanically, I think the easiest way to do it is to gut an RC servo down to the input shaft and potentiometer, then install a board with a 555 timer circuit that makes pulses.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
You may already be there, but if you bring the leadouts out the wingtips, they may be a bit high; this'll roll the plane into the center of the circle, and make sharp turns dicy.

On my profile Ercoupe, I'm bringing the leadouts out on the underside of the wing, a few inches in from the tip.  This is mostly to get them down, but it also has the advantage that it hides them from the casual viewer.  It turned out to be super-easy to fabricate.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
I shot a photo pack for Bob Banka years ago of one of those aircraft complete with the interior. Great looking aircraft

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:48:23 AM »
Nice!  That's on my list of planes I'd like to build.

If you want to go with the three-wire and an electric motor, I can help you with a "reverse servo" that'll take arm position in and give you a throttle signal out.  Mechanically, I think the easiest way to do it is to gut an RC servo down to the input shaft and potentiometer, then install a board with a 555 timer circuit that makes pulses.
thanks a lot Tim, will think about, i am planing to use the ventral flap and light as well, then electric would be the choice for sure!will discuss this further in the very near future with you! i havenīt routed the cables but will finish wingtip and check, loved your solution, i really hate to see cables over the wings, might consider that!thanks for the heads up!

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 10:49:06 AM »
I shot a photo pack for Bob Banka years ago of one of those aircraft complete with the interior. Great looking aircraft

Fred
wow Fred, sheīs really a beauty! any chance you still have some pics?
regards

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 11:07:32 AM »
thanks a lot Tim, will think about, i am planing to use the ventral flap and light as well, then electric would be the choice for sure!will discuss this further in the very near future with you! i havenīt routed the cables but will finish wingtip and check, loved your solution, i really hate to see cables over the wings, might consider that!thanks for the heads up!

You mentioned three lines, so I assumed either you're a die-hard 3-line guy, or the rules you fly under require it.

I prefer radio, myself -- that Ercoupe project I'm working on is IC and throttle-only, and will have a 2.4GHz radio running it.
AMA 64232

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 06:40:07 AM »
You mentioned three lines, so I assumed either you're a die-hard 3-line guy, or the rules you fly under require it.

I prefer radio, myself -- that Ercoupe project I'm working on is IC and throttle-only, and will have a 2.4GHz radio running it.
i never used 3 lines, and wanted a try before i went to r/c assisted. in brazil i am the head of CL scale and we are modernizing the category, before we only had FAI rules, so 3 cables are mandatory but hardly 2 modelers wanted to use that. next nats 2021 (2020 postponed due to covid) we wil have the F4b (3 lines), profile, sport (r/c allowed) and even a category for arfs/pro build models) to raise participation.
this one i plan to go on F4B. i was thinking of cable exit, and due to the heavy dihedral seems that exit at the tip is the point where the cables are more close to the fuselage center. will install and post some pics for further consideration here with you more experienced scale flyers ( i never had a scale c/l model before...)
further progress here

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 07:58:02 AM »
hello gents
some more progress here!
wing is almost done, needs tips, ailerons and control system
fuse is halfway too
decided for a saito 72 cycle engine, as i have it in hand and imports to Brazil are closed, so no way to bring electric engine, batteries etc...
letīs try the 3 line and see how it goes.
the original design was rc for a 60 engine, since this one is stripped of servos and radio gear and would not perform any stunt, i believe the 72 will be a good choice and will swing a close to scale prop.
more on the go

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
couple more
will be off for a week, so building will slow down

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 05:09:51 AM »
after long time absent due to a costumer project (fw190 1/4,5 scale) i am back to the gig with the Aeronca
trying brass tube for the first time, not too havy, maybe will use stainless steel on the stabs

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »
  Hi Fred;
    Why not use laminated strips of thin bass wood, bamboo, or anything similar? That way you can sand the assembled piece if needed.Nice work!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »
I'm reviewing this thread, and I'm thinking that while a Saito 76 is probably quite appropriate for a six foot span Corsair or even a Stearman, the L is a light plane, and you're replicating the lightness in your structure.

I'm thinking a modern 40 or 46 (either Schnuerle two-stroke or newer 4-stroke if there is one in that size) should pull it around just fine.

You can always throttle down, so use the 76 if it fits -- but if the thing comes in nose heavy, seriously consider a smaller engine!
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 05:55:14 PM »
And -- it's looking good!
AMA 64232

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
  Hi Fred;
    Why not use laminated strips of thin bass wood, bamboo, or anything similar? That way you can sand the assembled piece if needed.Nice work!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
thank you Dan, that was the original plan, but then, i saw a friend doing a piper cub fuselage and got the curiosity to try my turn on this.
for the stab i will work with inox tubes, that are lighter, letīs see how it goes.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
I'm reviewing this thread, and I'm thinking that while a Saito 76 is probably quite appropriate for a six foot span Corsair or even a Stearman, the L is a light plane, and you're replicating the lightness in your structure.

I'm thinking a modern 40 or 46 (either Schnuerle two-stroke or newer 4-stroke if there is one in that size) should pull it around just fine.

You can always throttle down, so use the 76 if it fits -- but if the thing comes in nose heavy, seriously consider a smaller engine!
good point! the original plan used as a base was a RC powered with an old 60 engine, 6 servos, battery and a lot of wood not present on mine, so, maybe a LA46 would do the job, and i am just considering e-power as well.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 04:12:41 AM »

Tim is right on track here with regard to the engine choice, but I think there is one more aspect to it beyond this, and that's fuel.  A good engine like a Thunder Tiger 46 pro will fly this plane just fine, while weighing a lot less than a Saito 76, but it also will require considerably less fuel doing it, meaning a smaller tank and fuel load, chopping more weight off the nose.  I don't have numbers to look at, but I would guess that the TT 46 Pro and the smaller tank would save 4-5 oz of weight up front.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here