News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:00:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Addison Pemberton's beautifully restored Boeing 40C  (Read 972 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Addison Pemberton's beautifully restored Boeing 40C
« on: February 19, 2008, 09:05:24 AM »
Jim Silhavy sent me one of the most beautifully restored full scale(flying condition) Boeing 40c that has to be one of the most ambitious flyable restoration projects ever.

check out: www.pembertonandsons.com
www.eaa79.org/EAA+Chapter+79+news/244.aspx
www.opencockpit.net/model/b40.html

Talk about the ultimate workshop!!!! WOW!
Again..

JIM SILHAVY...THANKS FOR PAYING THESE WEBSITES FORWARD.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:55:05 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: Addison Pemerton's beautifully restored Boeing 40C
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:35:36 AM »
Shultzie,

I am lucky enough to know Addison Pemberton through my work with the Antique Airplane Association - I am President of their museum.  FYI - the Antique Airplane Association is like the AMA for old airplane restorers - http://www.antiqueairfield.com/ 

Addison Pemberton and his sons, like most of the people I meet around antique airplanes, are all model airplane fans.  Like us, if it has wings and flies, they love it!  If you're ever wondering around Oshkosh or any other gathering of old airplanes, don't hesitate to mention to the people that you are a model builder/flyer.  It may just start a new friendship.

Addison "Jack Knight" Pemberton had a lifelong dream of getting this Boeing 40 flying again.  It's the only one left in the world!  The airplane flew again for the first time last weekend.  This link will take you to some video of the first test flight http://www.hangarbuddy.com/addisonpemberton.aspx

Here are Addison's "Factoids for the Boeing 40 project"

1) Project required my wife Wendy to prepare 416 hanger meals with an average of 9 place settings. This required 7400 paper plates, 104 gallons of tomato sauce and 1000 bread rolls.

2) 221 gallons of dope/reducer and 120 yards of 102 ceconite fabric. 12 gallons of polyurethane paint for the sheet metal.

3) The wings have 33,000 individual parts in them.

4) The airplane weights 4080 lbs empty and has a gross weight of 6075 lbs. It's 34 ft long and 13 feet tall with a wing span of 44 1/2 feet. Wingloading 10 lbs per sq ft and power loading 10 Pounds per HP (same as our Super Cub). Should cruise at 115 mph at 28 GAH and 32 GPH at 120 mph. It carries 120 gallons of fuel in three tanks.

5) We used 350 2" brushes and 6 gallons of West Systems epoxy. 181 rolls of paper towels.

6) There were a total of 62 volunteers who worked on the project to some degree and 21 volunteers who did a significant amount of work and 9 that worked continously over many years.

Thank you all for the interest in this dream and I will enjoy flying the airplane and sharing it will all of you. Look for the Boeing 40 to come to an airport near you!!!! We will take the airplane to Oshkosh, Blakesburg, Broadhead and then to New York and then to San Francisco on the original transcontinental airmail route this summer.

A grateful and humble Addison Pemberton family and friends, Spokane, Washington.

Mike Gretz

PS If you don't know who Addison's hero Jack Knight was, go here http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/airmail/pilot/pilot_rest/pilot_rest_knight.html

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: Addison Pemberton's beautifully restored Boeing 40C
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »
Mike..
Thanks for the posting all this about the Pemberton group.
Unbelieveable projects huh?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:55:48 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »
WHAT A SCALE PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »
Here is a logo that I designed for my fellow Boeing artist...STEVE COX. for his beautiful painting of the Boeing 40C called "WINTER FLIGHT." GADS...The photo shown here on this forum looks so much like Steve's Painting...with all that snow in the background.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:56:13 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:07:47 AM »
Don,

That logo is gorgeous.  Looks right out of the 1930s.  If you don't mind I might have to plagarize that for the 90th Anniversary Air Mail festivities at the Antique Airplane Association Fly-In coming up this summer.  Addison Pemberton's Boeing 40 will be there carrying official U.S. air mail again.

Read all about it here:
http://www.antiqueairfield.com/flyin_2008.html

You should email that logo to Addison.  He'd love it.  He'll probably want to put it on a hat or t-shirt.  Hmmm, how about changing the words WINTER FLIGHT to "Pemberton & Sons", or "Boeing 40", or "1928 - 2008" (his Boeing 40 was built in 1928), and then alter the markings on the airplane to Addison's N-number. 

You do great work!

Mike G

P.S. Addison's report on the first flight and how the airplane handled is now at the top of this web page:
http://www.antiqueairfield.com/

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
MIKE! WOW!!!
Thanks for sharing all these links with their wonderful photos and stories. What amazing gifted folks The Pemberton family must be...thanks to Jim Silhavy for sending me a heads up a few days ago..
Mike...Thanks again for your E mail. U got me diggin through my old mylars...and crawlin up in my Garage attic space.
U my beloved brotha in paint fumes....are one reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaallly busy
 hummin'-being!!!
(bye the way...anyone who loves old airplanes should go to www.boeing.com and check out the archives.
IT SADDENS ME TO THINK OVER THE YEARS...BOEING HAS PAID SO LITTLE ATTENTION TO THEIR ROOTS AND WHERE THE BOEING LEGACY BEGAN..AND HAVE ALWAYS SEEMED TO HIDE THAT FROM THE AVIATION PUBLIC IN GENERAL...that is until Mike Lombardi took the ARCHIVAL CAPTAINS PILOT SEAT.
Plus the fact the THE MUSEUM OF FLIGHT has become such a landmark attraction...for not only the Seattle area...but all over the globe. Great to see so many visitors putting that great Aviation Center on their trips to the NW.

AGAIN...MY DEEPEST APPRECIATION AND VOTE OF THANKS... TO ALL THOSE DEDICATED PASSION FILLED SOULS THAT LOVE OLD VINTAGE AIRPLANES....STILL FIND ENOUGH GUTS-TIME AND MONEY TO WORK SO HARD TO BRING SO MANY OF THESE VIRTUALLY GONE N FORGOTTEN OLD FYING MACHINES BACK TO LIFE.
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
Shultzie,

I am lucky enough to know Addison Pemberton through my work with the Antique Airplane Association - I am President of their museum.  FYI - the Antique Airplane Association is like the AMA for old airplane restorers - http://www.antiqueairfield.com/ 

Addison Pemberton and his sons, like most of the people I meet around antique airplanes, are all model airplane fans.  Like us, if it has wings and flies, they love it!  If you're ever wondering around Oshkosh or any other gathering of old airplanes, don't hesitate to mention to the people that you are a model builder/flyer.  It may just start a new friendship.

Addison "Jack Knight" Pemberton had a lifelong dream of getting this Boeing 40 flying again.  It's the only one left in the world!  The airplane flew again for the first time last weekend.  This link will take you to some video of the first test flight http://www.hangarbuddy.com/addisonpemberton.aspx

Here are Addison's "Factoids for the Boeing 40 project"

1) Project required my wife Wendy to prepare 416 hanger meals with an average of 9 place settings. This required 7400 paper plates, 104 gallons of tomato sauce and 1000 bread rolls.

2) 221 gallons of dope/reducer and 120 yards of 102 ceconite fabric. 12 gallons of polyurethane paint for the sheet metal.

3) The wings have 33,000 individual parts in them.

4) The airplane weights 4080 lbs empty and has a gross weight of 6075 lbs. It's 34 ft long and 13 feet tall with a wing span of 44 1/2 feet. Wingloading 10 lbs per sq ft and power loading 10 Pounds per HP (same as our Super Cub). Should cruise at 115 mph at 28 GAH and 32 GPH at 120 mph. It carries 120 gallons of fuel in three tanks.

5) We used 350 2" brushes and 6 gallons of West Systems epoxy. 181 rolls of paper towels.

6) There were a total of 62 volunteers who worked on the project to some degree and 21 volunteers who did a significant amount of work and 9 that worked continously over many years.

Thank you all for the interest in this dream and I will enjoy flying the airplane and sharing it will all of you. Look for the Boeing 40 to come to an airport near you!!!! We will take the airplane to Oshkosh, Blakesburg, Broadhead and then to New York and then to San Francisco on the original transcontinental airmail route this summer.

A grateful and humble Addison Pemberton family and friends, Spokane, Washington.

Mike Gretz

PS If you don't know who Addison's hero Jack Knight was, go here http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/airmail/pilot/pilot_rest/pilot_rest_knight.html

Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
AH YES! JACK KNIGHT!!!
I was shocked and amazed at just how many of those early mail plane pilots lost their lives..
BRAVE SOULS???  (bordering on perhaps with a dose of INSANITY thown in? )H^^
Truly...THEY'VE COME A LONG LONG LONG WAY....BABY!
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
Just received this from Jim Silhavy..about the Pemberton's first dedication flight.
Bye the way....here is a photo of the Pemberton clan...in front of the 1st flight dedication.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here