News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where to go  (Read 758 times)

Offline Bill Gruby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Where to go
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:26:03 AM »
 I need info, pictures, three view, and fuselage section views for the Westland Wyvern? Who can I obtain these from. Is there a site I can go to to get this info?

"Billy G"   <=
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
Re: Where to go
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
check these out

TA Wilk

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:48:40 AM »
this is the turbo prop version

TA Wilk

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:21:56 AM »
  Thank you both. Good info but nowhere near enough. Guess the Scale guys keep this stuff a secret. Anyhoo not being one to sit back and wait for it to appear magically I found this link that I will share with you.

http://www.bobsairdoc.com/index.htm

"Billy G"  y1
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
There is a lot of material available on the Westland Wyver.  In no particular order

1.  Google Westland Wyvern and you will find some information.  You will be surprised at the amount of material you will find there.Go to images when the screen comes up and you will find pages and pages of photos and publications listed.

2.  Go to Amazon and you might find some of the books that I will list below.

3.  Do a search on eBay.  Some of these magazines/publications might show up from time to time in addition to the plastic kits, some are excellent choices in 1/48th scale, and a few in 1/72 and other items that might interest you.  You can do a serach on eBay for some of the specific publications listed below and from time to time, these will show up.

3.  Here are some magazines.  Maybe some of these British magazines are still available as back issues from the publishers, or you can sometimes pick them up from eBay or other back issue suppliers.  There are sources in the UK for these back issues. (Again in no particular order of preference):

a. THE SINGLE BEST SOURCE in a magazine format is Scale Aviation Modeller International from the UK, Vol 9 Issue 1.  3-views are excellent and lots of color profiles and photos.  This one is a MUST have if you are looking form material on the Wyvern!!!

b.  Scale Aircraft Modelling, volume 14, Number 2, November 1981.  Glossy pages. Good article on the story of the Wyvern, toned (B&W) profiles for color schemes, no 3-views.

c.  Airplane, Part 21 from the Complete Aviation Encyclopedia collection, printed in the UK.  This issue featured the Wyvern with their two page color center spread 3-view.   Complete story and good photos.

d.  Air Enthusiast Quartely, Number one from the UK.  This issue is somewhat of a collector's item and might be hard to find and will likely be pricey.  This covers the Wyvern with small 3-views, the complete story, a cutaway drawing, good photos and some in color.

e.  Aeroplane magazine from the UK, August 2008.  This has feature articles, 19 pages, decent 3-views.

f.  Aviation News Magazine, 23 August 1984, from the UK.  Good 2-page spread on 3-views, toned drawings, Wyvern story.  Probably as good 3-views as the SAMI magazine in a above.

g.  Model Airplane International, August 2005.  Two pages of color profiles, probably very similar to the color in the SAMI issue above.  Gives other color references

h.  Model Airplane News, June 2000.  Has a construction article, done very well, for a small (36 in span) RC model.  Gives very small 3-views which show the operation of the Fowler flaps.  Worth lookng at.  This issue shows how to make a spinner for the thing.  If you purchase the construction drawings, you get a fairly decent set of 3-views.

i.  Model Airplane News published some gairly good 3-views in their December 1951 issue.  

j.  Model Aircraft magazine (similar to Aeromodeller) published a construction article and plans for a rather basic 31.5 inch span model in June 1951.  Shows a 3.5cc diesel.

k.  There is a French model magazine I think called "Modelisme" or "Fly International" (uncertain date) that published plans/article for a foam electric powered version that resembles the Wyvern fairly well.  1100mm span (about 4 ft).  The plans were the featured free plan of this issue with a date of October 3, 2001.

l.  There are some other plastic model publications that show color in the construction of the plastic kits, but do not offer much for the use as scale documentation.  However, you can get a good idea on how to get a really good realistic paint job from these magazines.

4.  Here are some books/publications that are worthwhile:

a.    "Wyvern"  -  "From the Cockpit" series from the UK, published in 2006, 68 pages, glossy paper, two pages of color profiles, a two page color 3-view spread.  Lots of pictures with lots of detail.  Excellent book.  Published by Ad Hoc Publications.  Website is    www.adhocpublications.com

b. "4+ publication" on the "Westland Wyvern", published in the Czech Republic in 2003,  38 opages on glossy paper.  Lots of pictures, lots of detail great, probably the best 3-views I have seen on this airplane, including 3-views of the prototype with the RR Eagle engine.  This is worth trying to find and I think the 4+ series is still available.  Google 4+ Publications and you should find something.  I got mine direct from the publishers by writing to  

mark1@cmail.cz

c.  You will find a listing on e-bay for a book with a black cover on the history of the Westland Wyvern,  I bought one of these years ago from the publisher.  Now, there is a listing on e-Bay asking more than $150 for a copy of this.  All it is is a short history of the aircraft, unit assignments, a few (4) B&W photos, and a listing of all of the Wyverns built and what happened to them, like when they crashed or were otherwise written off the books.

5.  There ae several plastic kits available.  The 1/48th Trumpeter kit is outstanding and has information that is good for color reference.  Even has a set of small 3-views.

6.  Aeromodeller magazine published photos of a large semiscale stunt version of the Wyvern (840 sq in) in July 1979.  When he was editor of Stunt New, Tom McClain obtained some more information on this model by Brian Dyke and published more photos and information on this model in Stunt News.  If you need it, I can find that issue.  It was at least 2 or 3 years ago.  I can scan one of these photos if you want and post it here.  To describe the model as "impressive" is an understatement.

7.  And check this out --  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.f.hatena.ne.jp/images/fotolife/p/phase_shift/20071021/20071021004033.jpg&imgrefurl=http://f.hatena.ne.jp/phase_shift/20071021004033&usg=__DHQsEra-X0mpBX-8crWIIZEDKkU=&h=787&w=554&sz=137&hl=en&start=18&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=b83kZj_Th_oygM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3DWestland%2BWyvern%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-US%26tbs%3Disch:1

There are some other magazines, but not hardly worth the trouble to chase down.  These are older magazines that show history, photos, and sometimes some tone drawings that you will find in the above listings.

Bob Banka at Bob's Aircraft Documentation listed in a previous post above will have some of the better 3-views listed above.  He also has pictures he took of the Eagle prototype Wyvern that is in a British museum as one of his photopacs.

Nobody hides this stuff.  You just have to go out and look.

Let us know what you find out there.  Bob Banka is the first place I would go for 3-views and some documentation.  

Keith

(Edit for typos)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:36:41 PM by Trostle »

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »
This URL has 3 views with cross sections
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fighter/wyvern.html   

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
 %^@what the heck lanquage is tha?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
 Bill,

Do some "Googling" on a guy named Dave Wigely and his Westland Wyvern. He built one in the last couple of years and it was in some of the model mags too. Seems like I remember it in FM for one. He just won the 2010 R/C "Top Gun" competition with it. There are pics on franktiano.com in the Top Gun 2010 event photo section. It is an absolutely incredible model. y1

This one would be one heck of a project, I don't think it has a straight line anywhere in the design.

Here's a few things I found...

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/Media/DocumentLibrary/WNL%20April%2008%20TG.pdf

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/Me2/dirmod.asp?sid=F9EC56519617482FAB4AC20870CA26EC&nm=Main&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=13B2F0D0AFA04476A2ACC02ED28A405F&tier=4&id=EE317827469C4EB49B94682A2B3FCDB8
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:37:51 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »
G-Man
If you do not read Russian, just scrole down to this section and click on the 1 or 2 and it will show the three views for that plane.

Clancy 
 Доп. информация :   

Чертеж "Westalnd Wyvern (1)"
  Чертеж "Westland Wyvern (2)"

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 11:50:59 PM »
G-Man
If you do not read Russian, just scrole down to this section and click on the 1 or 2 and it will show the three views for that plane.

Clancy 
 Доп. информация :   

Чертеж "Westalnd Wyvern (1)"
  Чертеж "Westland Wyvern (2)"

Clancy,I have an interpreter on my computer, makes life easy.  LOL Thanks to all. I have more than enough info for this down the road project.

"Billy G"   y1

Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here