News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:15:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 217 different pieces and still going" Mig-3 Cockpit detail!  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
For those that like Scale, or Semi-Scale, I have a project that may be of interest?

Besides the Mig-3 Build,  I also have a “cockpit build” going on over at CFC Graphics Vendor’s Corner. It’s actually the same build.

For what it's worth, and this is no exaggeration, just simple addition, I "now" have over 137 individual pieces of material, of various sorts, which I have  used, “so far,” in the construction of the cockpit for the Mig-3. And it's being added to almost every day.

A cockpit build! A milestone or a “First?” Probably not either.

But, if anyone is interested, please stop by the Mig-3 Build, over at CFC Graphics Vendors Corner, and take a peek. I hope you will be glad you did.

Charles

Edited: 212 pieces to date! That's +212, not -212,  LL~ LL~ LL~
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:11:06 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 137 different pieces and still going" Mig-3 Cockpit detail!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:55:40 AM »
Mig-3 phone home!

A simple "call" to modelers and a request to visit my Build.

Just a quick update on the Mig-3 Build!

Continued efforts on the Semi-Scale Mig-3 are paying off, progress has been made! Really.   n~

Currently I'm working on the cockpit detailing exclusively. A Build within itself!

I have now progressed to a point where Cockpit components are being painted and assembled or assembled then painted.

I do still have a ways to go and more components will have to be made.

Currently, I have 137 pieces making up the Mig-3 cockpit. Still a ways to go!

So, for those that like Scale, or Semi-Scale, or for those that have interest in cockpit construction and detailing, "Come on down!"

Visit the "Mig-3 build" and the "Mig-3 cockpit build" over at CFC Graphics Vendor's Corner.

I'm hoping you'll be glad you did.

Charles

Edited: Thought I'd add this photo, taken just this morning.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:13:31 PM by Avaiojet »
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »
I couldn't resist, here's the latest!

Charles
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:19:22 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »
In place permanently, I'm delighted!

Charles
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:14:01 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »
Here's my Mig-3 panel efforts to date.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:00:38 AM »
I'm drawing the line and stopping here with what's attached to these tubler side frames. I have to move on to other areas of the cockpit if I'm going to finish the thing in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's what's been done with the two side pieces to date and they ARE done! Features added are the flare gun shell rack and the first aid kit.

Clicking on the photo a second time makes it larger. Well, not all the time?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »
I lied.

I forgot all about this foolish panel that sits on the left tubular frame.

Haven't been into my photo resources lately.

Unbelievable. It'll never end.   HB~>

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 192 different pieces and still going" Mig-3 Cockpit detail!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
Well,

It's now 192 pieces of material to date. That's of tonight.

Charles

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:25:21 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »
I have to post and say that is wonderful attention to detail.
Great Job..

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
Mr Scale Dave Platt once spent 3 solid months on one cockpit
rad racer

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 05:09:15 AM »
Mr Scale Dave Platt once spent 3 solid months on one cockpit

Bob,

I had no idea about that? And I'm not surprised.

I do know that Dave Platt, "Mr. Scale," has brought more to the scale R/C modeling community than any other individual.

I've made graphics for many modelers who have built Mr. Platt's scale models.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
thanks, Dave informed me last nite that it was 4 months  9-5 .  he has a new U/C t-28 for the nats ,going for the big quinella  as he has a win in FF Scale and a few in RC . we did the first flight last week flys good with 2.4 throtle gear and flaps
rad racer

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:31:56 AM »
thanks, Dave informed me last nite that it was 4 months  9-5 .  he has a new U/C t-28 for the nats ,going for the big quinella  as he has a win in FF Scale and a few in RC . we did the first flight last week flys good with 2.4 throtle gear and flaps

Bob,

You know Dave Platt?

I believe he always had a thing for the T-28. Didn't know he was involved with CL.

That's a good thing.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »
Still trying to maintain interest at the Scale area of the SH Forum.

Just bits and pieces, no pun intended.  ;D

If you want to catch the cockpit build, see it from scratch to finish over at CFC Graphics vendor's corner.

Just doing stuff to the right side panel.

Charles

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
  Charles   yes know dave well ,we are in the same club  most people dont know dave is an accomplished free flight and controlline fly-er ,can still do most of the pattern .i have flown a couple of his origanal stunt ships and they fly very good  he ha 6 Barton B team racers ready for the English Nats next year.he would fly every day if he had someone to fly with , Bob Whitney ( not Whitley ) S?P
rad racer

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »
It is interesting to see Dave Platt's name mentioned.  1987 was the first time I static judged at the NATS.  They assigned me to RC Sport Scale Sportsman.  The guy setting beside me was Dave Platt.  After that one day my static scores took a jump.  We had some funny things happen that day that I still remember.  One entry stated that it was built from a Dave Platt kit.  Dave spoke up an said he had never kitted that airplane.  Guess what kind of score he received.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
There is absolutely no doubt, what I've done with my Mig-3 cockpit is certainly "skid row" compaired to the work achievement of Dave Platt.

It is an honor though, just to have his name mentioned in my Thread.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
Quick pictoral update.

206 individual pieces of material to date.

Charles

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
I would have never thought of printing off the side panels to scale to use for the build up.

Thanks for that tid bit.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 206 different pieces and still going" Mig-3 Cockpit detail!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
I would have never thought of printing off the side panels to scale to use for the build up.

Thanks for that tid bit.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Bill,

My favorite poster! Thanks for stopping in.

Sorry again for getting the reply to your last Post incorrect. I said I would do better.

If your referring to the printing, to the correct scale, both cockpit sides, panel and rear area, I cannot take credit for that. Seen that done years ago in Scale Modeler. Wish I could remember who? I don't even remember the article.

Please stay in touch.

Charles
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:25:14 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 212 different pieces and still going" Mig-3 Cockpit detail!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
Well, with this lil tadpole it's 212 pieces.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 217 different pieces and still going" Mig-3 Cockpit detail!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »
An update on the Mig-3 cockpit. 217 pices and still counting!

See the complete Build and recent photos, today actually, at CFC Graphics Vendor's Corner.

Click twice, the photo should get bigger.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »
Cockpit isn't complete without the seat.

Just some quick test fitting before I deal with the faux look of upholstery.

Other photos at CFC Graphics!

Charles

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
Charles.  I hope the rest of the Mig turns out as nicely as the cockpit.  It will be hard to beat!  You must, of course, have retracts.  I have found the self-contained retract units from Hong Kong work well.  (Hobby King, or something like that). They have 2 sizes.  I have used both.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »
Nice but your build is too neat and too finished.  Any Russky stuff I have seen is roughly finished.  Take a look at a Ural motorcycle. They are crude knockoffs of BMW airhead.

Joe Daly

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
Well Charles, you're teaching the rest of us some of the tricks you've learned, so thanks for that!  The beast is lookin' gooooood!  (But...you're making me tired just trying to count the pieces.) LL~ LL~ LL~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
Nice but your build is too neat and too finished.  Any Russky stuff I have seen is roughly finished.  Take a look at a Ural motorcycle. They are crude knockoffs of BMW airhead.

55chevr,

Great bikes and no frills! Got a bike?

I just coppied the cockpit photos I had downloaded on line. Did the best I could to show a bit of the realism. Being a "once-upon-a-time-pilot," my guess, Russian built or not, they had a place for everything. Orginization and placement is important also. Lots going on in that Mig-3 cockpit.

Check out the photos of the actual cockpit. I didn't do all that bad, did I?

The paint. I'll make a mess out of that.  n~

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
Well Charles, you're teaching the rest of us some of the tricks you've learned, so thanks for that!  The beast is lookin' gooooood!  (But...you're making me tired just trying to count the pieces.) LL~ LL~ LL~

"Good,"

Did you fly your duster yet!

Report?

Charles

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
No, I haven't had the time or energy to get the duster out yet.  Someday maybe I'll get both of those at the same time! HB~> HB~>

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 06:35:35 AM »
No, I haven't had the time or energy to get the duster out yet.  Someday maybe I'll get both of those at the same time! HB~> HB~>

"Good" Will Hinton,

"Both of thoses?"

What am I missing??

Charles

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Both time AND energy at the same time.  They seem to successfully avoid one another now. LL~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »
Me I have the time and the energy,  it is the motivation that keeps me in check.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »
Well,

I'm thinking of getting back on this cockpit. Can't finish the rest of the Mig-3 until the cockpit is completed and masked off for protection.

Let's see.......Hum.... I guess 20 or 30 more parts should do it.   n~

Cockpit has come a long way. Remember?

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here