News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2020 scale nats lodging  (Read 846 times)

Offline Hemi Steve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
2020 scale nats lodging
« on: November 01, 2019, 07:26:13 PM »
I've never been to Muncie but looking on Trip Advisor it looks like all of the motels are on the northwest side of town.  Nothing very close to the AMA site.  Am I missing some places?  Also, how soon so do the motels start to fill up? 

Am I correct that check in, and static judging is on Friday and flying is Saturday and Sunday?

Steve

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: 2020 scale nats lodging
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 09:42:56 PM »
I have been staying at the Days inn for the last few years

Friday - Static judging
Sat - first day of flying, it starts early be prepared to get there at Sunrise (not kidding)
Sun - 2nd day of flying (same schedule)

Sat morning you get to the flying site, setup the model, get the lines, check out the throttle system, run the motor or engine then when it's time to put up your flight you have to be ready

There will be a pilots meeting Friday night if the schedule is same as last year

Fly a practice flight at home before you get here to make sure that you have all your equipment, documentation, static props, lines and all of your stuff works before you get here.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
I pick up my registration information and badge on Thursday at the main building, also check out the AMA model museum. Lots of good stuff there.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:32:35 AM »
Thanks for the information Fred
The early start isn't a surprise after seeing the "Newport 17 dawn patrol" picture. 

How soon is it wise to make reservations for a motel?

Looking at the score sheets it looks like a number of guys don't fly their 3rd and 4th flights. So about what time does everything wrap up on Sunday.  We've  got a 5 hr. drive to get home and need to decide if it's going to be wise to spend Sunday night there.

Is there a food truck on site or someplace close to get food and water or do we need to bring a cooler?

Steve

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 06:42:43 AM »
I would suggest you get your reservations 6 or 8 weeks before the event. In recent years there has not been food at the C/L scale site. There is a big cooler with water however. Usually, but not always, there is a food truck at the R/C site. But service is unbelievably slow. There is a little restaurant about 2 miles west on Memorial drive that is very good, but I can't remember the name. Having your own cooler of food is a good idea.
Chuck

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 09:51:50 AM »
"There is a little restaurant about 2 miles west on Memorial drive that is very good, but I can't remember the name. "

12th Street Cafe
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
I've never been to Muncie but looking on Trip Advisor it looks like all of the motels are on the northwest side of town.  Nothing very close to the AMA site.  Am I missing some places?  Also, how soon so do the motels start to fill up? 

Am I correct that check in, and static judging is on Friday and flying is Saturday and Sunday?

Steve

The "northwest side" isn't all that far from AMA.  It's near Ball State where all the food and rooms are.  Depending on other events (like the triathlon) there are plenty of rooms or none at all in Muncie. 

There's no reason to not book NOW.  You can always cancel.
Paul Smith

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 08:46:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies on this subject

I believe I read that the flying was done in the early afternoon on Sunday at this years Nats.  Is that correct and is that typical?

Steve

Tom Vieira

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Bob and I did the rented RV thing this year.

I don't think there is any other way to "fly"!  convenience factor and everything makes it a no-brainer from here on out!  Tow your car behind it so you have a "dingy" for provisions/travel to the circles!

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »
T.J.
I've thought about renting an RV.  I understand that there are primitive sites on the AMA property.  I'm not an RV person but I think I understand primitive to mean no hookups.  Is that correct?

Steve

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
There are other towns, like Marion Indiana, that are within driving distance of Muncie if necessary.  30-to-40 minutes of driving isn't the end of the world.
Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »
Static judging is on Friday, Round 1 and 2 of the flying is on Saturday, round 3 and 4 on Sunday. So you are flying all day on Sat and Sun, but typically get done in the early afternoon on Sunday

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here