News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:15:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2017 CL Scale Nats - Informal Poll  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
2017 CL Scale Nats - Informal Poll
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
Ok we all know that the CL and RC scale got moved into June this year, the turn out was OK but not as big as last year... It felt like there was nothing else going on at the site because there wasn't anything else happening at the site! RC scale was at site 4 a long ways from us and we were on the north side of the site.

So the question is simple, which calendar dates should they pick next year. I have absolutely no say in what the AMA will pick but just wondered what everyone was thinking....

Option 1 - CL scale in July like it use to be

Option 2 - CL scale in June like it was this year

Which option do you like better....this should be interesting!  S?P

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: 2017 CL Scale Nats - Informal Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
OPTION ONE. I think that change (option two) was a really dumb move.
Eric

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
we have nothing better to talk about, lets  S?P this will help.
I'm pretty sure everyone was disappointed over the June date away from C/L week, I was but............................
We are hoping to bring it back together as in past years. lets wait and see what Tony and Yolanda come up with, they know how we all feel about C/L all together.
Fred, if you look at C/L (not including scale) you will find pre registration is down some 50+ pilots in all C/L events, and over the last 5 years as much as 75+ pilots. The date did stink but was not the reason for the 3 pilots lost from last years total.
My three cents worth. n~
Blessings
Allen

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »
Just for the sake of discussion, having The Nats almost on top of The Brodak was a bad idea.

Sure, some people fly model airplanes ALL the time, so it doesn't matter to them.  But to those with other responsibilities, two major events in one month results in just flying one.

But you still need to have the event when speed, racing, and stunt aren't using all the pavement.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »
Just for the sake of discussion, having The Nats almost on top of The Brodak was a bad idea.

Sure, some people fly model airplanes ALL the time, so it doesn't matter to them.  But to those with other responsibilities, two major events in one month results in just flying one.

But you still need to have the event when speed, racing, and stunt aren't using all the pavement.

I feel somewhat out of place commenting on this as I was unable to attend either event (being broke sucks) but at the same time, IF I had been able to attend (especially both events) a part of me would love to have them scheduled essentially back to back.  The outlay of cash, time, gas and so forth travelling from Florida, to PA, back to FL then back to OH would have been quite an obstacle.  But on the other hand, if my performance in PA would have been negative, i.e. crashing, I would have certainly appreciated a week or two to recuperate and rebuild.  My thoughts may not be valid for others who live relatively closer in the Northeast but how about the folks from the West Coast and SouthWest??? 

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
 I fly RC scale, and CL combat.   I was interested to see the dates for the NAts this upcoming year, and was disappointed.  I live 2 days away from Muncie, so I have to plan what I am going to do.  It does not look like RC will be going back to the July date.  So, for me to get in my scale flying, I have decided to build a model for CL scale.  Not sure which class yet, but it will be a full fuselage, FW 190 D9 most likely.

So it would seem all of the reasons for these date changes, are bringing a new entry to the CL scale event. I do not think it would feel like the Nats at all with no other events going on. The Nats is an experience, not so defined by the one event that we choose to fly.  More the feel of it all going on around you.  Otherwise it would seem like just another contest.   I am glad to see the CL scale event moved to July. 

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 06:22:36 AM »
Based on what is published on the AMA website regarding the 2017 Nats, C/L Scale has been disassociated from R/C Scale and precedes C/L week. C/L scale starts July 14.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:50:43 AM »
RC Scale: June 23-25
RC Scale Aerobatics: June 28-July 1
RC Aerobatics: July 9-13
CL Scale July 14-16
RC Pylon Racing: July 14-21
CL (Navy Carrier, Precision Aerobatics, Racing, Combat, Speed): July 16-22
RC Combat: July 17-20
RC Soaring: July 22 - 30
FF Outdoor: July 24-28
RC Helicopter: July 31-August 3
Indoor Free Flight TBD

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
Allen
I'd like to see it so you could fly scale the same week as the other events. I am primarily a carrier flyer but do fly some scale at Brodak's and local contests and probably would at the NATS if it was closer to carrier.
John

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »
Well, with c/l scale ending on the 16th and carrier starting on the 16th, looks pretty close together to me.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
yeah Will. I probably didn't word that very well. I like the schedule.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »
Allen
I'd like to see it so you could fly scale the same week as the other events. I am primarily a carrier flyer but do fly some scale at Brodak's and local contests and probably would at the NATS if it was closer to carrier.
John

C/L Scale uses the same venue as C/L Racing. In order to make this work Scale has to be run prior to Racing. As it works out, Scale is finished Sunday afternoon. Navy Carrier processes Monday evening with flying Tuesday thru Thursday. There are not enough circles to run Scale concurrently with the rest of C/L week.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
I thought scale uses the L pad and racing has its own area. Has this changed?

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »

Scale did use the L-Pad at one time but has been at the Racing site for the last few years.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 01:38:54 PM »
John, I wasn't trying to be a wise guy with the above, just thought you might have missed the overlap of dates.  I hope you will be able to do both.  We need all the contestants we can get for both venues!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
 I plan to enter profile scale this year, and it will be the first time for me at the Nats.  I will confess my primary focus is Combat, but I wanna get in as much Nats as I can handle to make it worth that 2 day drive.   I was happy to see how the dates lined up, as combat is right after scale.   Should be a lot of fun.  I look forward to making some new friends in the model aviation community.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »

If you have scale & CL together, stunt will have the L pad all week.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
Scale is the first weekend of the NATS starting on Friday I believe.  Check the schedule.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here