News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2011 NATS CL Scale Events  (Read 955 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
2011 NATS CL Scale Events
« on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
Control Line Scale Fliers

I just received the following information from Jack Sheeks, CL Scale Event Director:

The AMA has approved 5 events for CL Scale at the 2011 NATS.

Event 509 - CL Sport Scale
Event 521 - CL Profile Scale
Event 526 - CL Fun Scale
Event 527 - CL Team Scale
Event F4B - FAI CL Scale

Control line Scale schedule for the 2011 NATS:

Friday 7-1 Static Judging
Saturday 7-2 Competition Flying
Sunday 7-3 Competition Flying 

Please read the NEW Rules on the AMA web sit as there are some changes!!!

For example, there will be no downgrade on static for a profile body in Fun Scale.
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2011 NATS CL Scale Events
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »
Control Line Scale Fliers

For example, there will be no downgrade on static for a profile body in Fun Scale.

That's quite a game-changer!
I was thinking (and planning) of building a full body Fun Scale plane.  Now there's no need.
Good to know before it's too late.
Usually AMA Nats events go 100% by the written rules.  Do you know the origin of this "local" rule?
Paul Smith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:41:10 AM »
Clancy,

Thanks for the heads up.  I hope to be there with a 509 and a 521 ship.  And perhaps a 526 ship.  I have a 1/2 twin profile ship that may do for 526.  The Extra 300S I flew in 2010 526 (see picture) class was a converted RC ship.  It would not land worth a flip.  I converted it back to RC and it flies great.  Contrary to popular belief Control line ain't easy.

Clancy are you going to bring your new WW I bucket of sticks and wire?   LL~ I would love to see it fly.

The big problem for me is that I am scheduled for a complete right shoulder replacement on Jan 24, 2011.  It depends on how quick I can get back to building and flying.

#^   #^   #^   #^   #^ 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »
Paul
I was quoting the "Local Rules" shown below.
Clancy

Competition Regulations
2011-2012
Rules Governing Model Aviation
Competition in the United States
Control Line & Radio Control Fixed Wing Scale

Page SC3 - Paragraph 6. Profile Fuselages: Profile fuselages are permitted in all scale events unless the rules for the particular event specifically state that they are not allowed. The scale judges will apply appropriate downgrading of scores for the non-scale fuselage cross section of the profile fuselage and for the appearance except in event 521 CL Profile Scale and event 526 CL Fun Scale.

Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Your last quote seems to be in conflict with your first.

As I see it, you can fly a profile in "Fun" but you would, quite rightly, take a hit on static.
Paul Smith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »
Your last quote seems to be in conflict with your first.

As I see it, you can fly a profile in "Fun" but you would, quite rightly, take a hit on static.

Read to the end - the key word is EXCEPT

"except in event 521 CL Profile Scale and event 526 CL Fun Scale."

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:07:34 AM »
"Please read the NEW Rules on the AMA web sit as there are some changes!!!

For example, there will be no downgrade on static for a profile body in Fun Scale."

I still don't quite follow what you're saying.  I just now pulled up the rules on the AMA site and I can't see that it says "there will be no downgrade on static for a profile body in Fun Scale."

So if that policy is implemented, it will amount to the CD's local rule.

I'm not planning to enter the Nats.  I just want to clarify the buisness of "no downgrade for profile".

Paul Smith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:54:51 AM »
"Please read the NEW Rules on the AMA web sit as there are some changes!!!

For example, there will be no downgrade on static for a profile body in Fun Scale."

I still don't quite follow what you're saying.  I just now pulled up the rules on the AMA site and I can't see that it says "there will be no downgrade on static for a profile body in Fun Scale."

So if that policy is implemented, it will amount to the CD's local rule.

I'm not planning to enter the Nats.  I just want to clarify the buisness of "no downgrade for profile".

Let me try this one more time:

6. Profile Fuselages: Profile fuselages are permitted in all scale events unless the rules for the particular event specifically state that they are not allowed. The scale judges will apply appropriate downgrading of scores for the non-scale fuselage cross section of the profile fuselage and for the appearance except in event 521 CL Profile Scale and event 526 CL Fun Scale.‖

The above is a direct cut and paste from the 2011-2012 AMA rules as called out by Clancy in this post. "See Page SC-3 Paragraph 6."

As I read it profile fuselages are permitted in all events.  However you can expect a down grade of score except in event 521 CL Profile Scale and event 526 CL Fun Scale.

SO I definately would not expect a down grade in profile scale.  And as I read it Fun Scale also has no down grade for profile fuselage.  Also this is the law of the AMA land - not a local rule.

D>K

PS AMA rules for scale are at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2011-2012ScaleCLandRC.pdf
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
Give up.  For someone not planning on going to the NATS why should they worry.  If an event has rules different than the book, which I see no conflict, they should be posted far enough ahead so that people will know about it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Doc
I just tried to let every one know the dates and events that will be offered this year at the NATS in CL Scale.

The comment on the change of no downgrade for a profile body in fun scale was to remind contestants that the rules have been changed and EVERYONE needs to read them!!  Better yet download and print them.  Then before a contest review the AMA website for any additional changes or corrections that may have been posted since your last download.  If there has been a change then download and print the latest rules and throw away the previously downloaded rules.

Only the latest version on the AMA Web site is official!
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:32:01 AM »
That is the problem.  Getting people to down load and read rules.  Yes it is boring.  Try reading the book of Numbers in the BIBLE.  As many times as I have read the rules for Aerobatics and Carrier I still find stuff I missed on previous readings.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
Doc is right!!!

Now that the contest season is upon us it is time for EVERYONE who is considering entering a Scale contest event, or any AMA Rule Book Event, to READ the latest AMA RULES for that event.  Always start at the first page of that section of the rules, not at the specific Rules for your event.  The information at the beginning is just as important as the event specific rules. 

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here