News:

• April 15, 2024, 10:44:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2010 CL SCALE NATS Results  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
2010 CL SCALE NATS Results
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »
Fellow CL Scale fliers,
The 2010 CL Scale NATS are history. 
Here are the results.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
Re: 2010 CL SCALE NATS Results
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
Of the 32 entries in Control Line Scale at this years NATS, 2 in Fun Scale were not equipped with a throttle.  Of the remaining models 16 used three wire mechanical and 14 used electronic throttle control.

Clancy

Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
That looks like a great turn out.  Hope every one made safe landings.  Thanks for the report.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
Doc
To the best of my knowledge the only mishap was when an engine quit while flying inverted and he knocked the rudder off when making the inverted landing.  It flew again on Sunday.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:40 PM »
 Flying inverted in Scale???
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
Wayne
I think it was one of the non-throttle equipped Fun Scale models.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:26:06 AM »
If it was a scale model of an aerobatic plane, inverted flight is an option.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Doc
It was a model of a WWII fighter, P-40 I think or could have been the P-51.

I think we gave him 2 points for the landing?
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 06:45:16 AM »
It was an Aircobra profile in fun scale. 
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »
Doc

Clancy

Was it a poor landing? Please explain.
Chris...

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:29:29 PM »
Chris
All that I remember of that flight was that the engine quit while inverted, Fun Scale I think, and he knocked the rudder off on the inverted landing.  He had it back on Sunday to fly again.  Technically the flight could have been DQ'd for loosing parts off the model.  :-)
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
He would have had to yell, "inverted complete - LANDING!"  really quick.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
Chris
All that I remember of that flight was that the engine quit while inverted, Fun Scale I think, and he knocked the rudder off on the inverted landing.  He had it back on Sunday to fly again.  Technically the flight could have been DQ'd for loosing parts off the model.  :-)
Clancy

I see, you guys were definitely being generous with a 2!
Chris...

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
Doc

Clancy

Flying a replica of any WWII Fighter, with an Allison or a Merlin, they were carburetor equipped and could not sustain prolonged inverted flight or negative "G". The Germans had Fuel Injection, but who likes negative G. Darn, I hated that when every bit of dust flooded the entire cockpit.  ~^

The Pilot's Manual, Tech. Order No. 1F-51D-1 contained the following item in the Section V "Prohibited Maneuvers":    "Inverted Flight must be limited to 10 seconds because of loss of oil pressure and failure of the scavenge pumps to operate in an inverted position."

So if he crashed due to engine failure during inverted flight, then  he should have received a "10" for "Realism of Flight".  y1
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 12:58:45 PM »
Wellllll, inverted flight is a legal maneuver.  This hairsplitting business based somebody's "personal knowledge"  of some particular fight manual is nothing more than an attempt (by people whose airplanes barely fly) to deny inverted flight to those who can.

Any fighter, racing, or aerobatic plane can go inverted for 30 seconds or so, which is all a CL Scale model needs to do.  True, the fluid systems won't let most of them fly upside down forever, but they can do what a CL Scale plane needs to do.

To counterattack, I suggest that any such plane as mentioned here that can't at least do a loop should be HARSHLY downgraded.  There's nothing realistic about a Pitts Special or a Mustang that flys like an overloaded bomber.
Paul Smith

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
[

Any fighter, racing, or aerobatic plane can go inverted for 30 seconds or so, which is all a CL Scale model needs to do. 

Sorry Paul, but if you would have taken my full scale Citabria inverted for more than ten seconds you would have been looking for a field to put it down in because they had a tendency to not only quit, but to seize.  The ten seconds Hoss referred to is more than just a rule, it's self preservation that is very real.  I know of other "fully aerobatic" ships with the same placard in them, and they ain't kidding.  Lycomings are also very expensive.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
//SNIP//
To counterattack, I suggest that any such plane as mentioned here that can't at least do a loop should be HARSHLY downgraded.  There's nothing realistic about a Pitts Special or a Mustang that flys like an overloaded bomber.

As you wish. Some judges may follow the rules requiring ascale model to do those maneuvers that the subject aircraft can do. Right now MOX NIX.

As far as a loop -- or cloverleafs, chandelles, lazy 8s, immelmans, roll-ins, aileron rolls, barrel rolls, cuban 8s, and such are concerned, they all maintain a POSITIVE G force, thus are not relegated to inverted flight.

Current AMA Rule Book:
"4.9: Inverted Flight (Option). This flight maneuver is for models of aircraft that were designed for inverted flight. Aerobatic aircraft and fighters usually qualify for this maneuver. The model should make three smooth, stable laps in an inverted position at normal flight level height. Height should remain constant for optimum points."

It would be a fairly fast model that completes 3 laps inverted within the 10 seconds, or would that be a "scale 10 seconds" which would be a VERY fast 3 laps.  %^@

Actually the underlined rule statement was, IMO, written and accepted by more model persons that those that have been there done that. Now I don't have a clue about civil aerobatic aircraft but military I have some clues about. ATC, SAC, MATS, and ADC when they existed.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »
Hoss
I know your background in Military aviation and would like your comments on a couple of planes.

The FW-190 used a fuel injected engine.  Should it be able to sustain inverted flight?
Any jet powered plane?

Thanks
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
Hoss
I know your background in Military aviation and would like your comments on a couple of planes.

The FW-190 used a fuel injected engine.  Should it be able to sustain inverted flight?
Any jet powered plane?

Thanks
Clancy

Clancy, I am definitely NO expert in that field. Most of my information came from those "Old Timers" that I was associated with back in the late '50s until 1962, when I was in the B-47. Many of these guys were fighter and/or bomber pilots in WWII. With the many days we sat on ALERT around the countries, I asked far too many questions, but I did gather a lot of information that much has slipped away.

The FW 190 series were very different airplanes, like many American and British machines. The FW-190 'short nose" series were radial engines however the original design never allowed for adequate cooling venues around the cylinders. They were plagued with overheating and failures. Although superior to any spitfire they had problems. In addition until the FW-190D long nose series came out with the in-line Jumo engine and a fan cooling system along with the liquid, the BMW engine problem on the short-nosed originals was never fully satisfied. In addition there was an attempt to use a Jumo liquid cooled engine in the short nose, but I don't think that was ever operational.
The long nose D and TA 152 were all just a wing forward extension of the FW 190A itself. They did cut the tail section and move it back IIRC some 2 feet. The bulge is just in front of the horizontal stabilizer.

Now to your question: The Jumo had a different oil system and probably could do sustained inverted flight. The BMW 801, I don't know, but it was a radial and radials  could sustain considerable damage.  My only actual flight experience was with the Pratt and Whitney R-2800. That was some kind of engine, but I never flew a C-123 inverted!  n1  BTW, the P-47D Manual prohibited negative G maneuvers.

Back to your question: When I went through USAF pilot training, there was a Norwegian student in my class. He remembered German occupation. He told me that many German Stuka pilots were dying young from brain problems caused by the technique of pushing straight over into bomb runs with high negative G's.

Somewhere I read that the ME-109 used negative G as a last resort to escape enemy fighters, yet negative G straight (inverted) would not be a challenge. Most Fighter and or Trainer aircraft are not stressed for more than 3G negative. A pilot will 'red-out' (blood in the eyes) if he holds -3 G for much time. Making an inverted turn at 3G would be easy pickings for someone on your tail.  ;D

So Clancy, you guys have to make those decisions. I do think the ME-109 could fly inverted straight and level until the pilot became completely nauseated, which may be for something less than 1 minute. 190, I doubt so.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 02:11:24 PM »
Sorry Paul, but if you would have taken my full scale Citabria inverted for more than ten seconds you would have been looking for a field to put it down in because they had a tendency to not only quit, but to seize.  The ten seconds Hoss referred to is more than just a rule, it's self preservation that is very real.  I know of other "fully aerobatic" ships with the same placard in them, and they ain't kidding.  Lycomings are also very expensive.

Oh, come now Will,
A Citabria is not an aerobatic airplane!
Well, a 7KCAB has an inverted oil and fuel system so it is...just kiddin' yah. 7ECA'a were seen at acro contests for years even. They don't run long inverted but one just makes the inverted segments short!

I used to do airshow aerobatics in a Staggerwing and an N3N and they didn't have oil or fuel systems for inverted either, but once they quit they don't have much of a load on them and the windage of oil will be sufficient for the time it takes to complete a maneuver. I did this with a lot of airplanes and never had any damage, including the E33C Aerobatic Bonanza which has a straight, soft, weak Teledyne Continental IO-520 with no inverted oil or fuel.

About the carburated WWII fighters. By the time the US got to England every allied fighter had a pressure carb that ran inverted. All American designs had sump stand pipe, traps, bucket, and the Thunderbolt even has a pendulum sump with it's own pickup, to provide oil feed to the engine while  inverted.

The Battle of Britain in 1940 had airplanes that didn't even have two speed variable pitch props, let alone constant speed props at first, so the gravity carb was right in line with that early knowledge set. By the time the battle was over and the Mk V's were being produced, the British engineers were still trying to get a decent pressure carb going. The Bf's and FW's both had either FI or pressure carbs for all of their production so the lag time for the poor RAF guys was a definite bother. So by early '42 both SU and Stromberg had designs working and after a time the Mk V on Spitfires, Hurricanes, and all other designs after, like the Griffon Spitfires, Typhoon's, Tempest's, Mosquito's, anything that was a fighter had pressure carbs too.

By the time the Mighty Eighth got there, this problem was history, only to be mis-stated in books to this day.

Chris...   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here