News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:55:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1999 Nats - CL Scale video  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
1999 Nats - CL Scale video
« on: March 19, 2022, 06:43:24 AM »
1999 Nats CL scale video on the Walt Brownell Channel

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1999 Nats - CL Scale video
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 09:59:09 AM »
Thanks for what you guys are doing with the videos.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 01:57:57 AM »
That was superb!  Thank you for posting it!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 03:57:50 AM »

Enjoyed the video! :)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 09:27:57 AM »
  Walt Brownell is a genuinely nice guy, a really good stunt model builder and flyer, and also a really good scale builder and flyer. it's just sad that we all have to get old and go through things that are just not nice. When it was decided that Walt and his wife needed to be in an assisted living facility, Walt was already dealing with dementia but had a great sense of humor about that! He called on the club to come out to his house and clear out all of his modeling stuff in his basement, and there was quite a bit in the way of models, tools supplies and a big collection of Windy videos. The models and such were distributed to the membership in the club.  Fred has that Wagstaff Extra and is working on returning it to flying status, I have the profile version of the same airplane which has flown several times recently, and several of the club membership have his surviving stunt models and they have been cleaned up and are back in the air and flying. I had his Typhoon stunt/scale model for a while and after flying it several times, I decided it was just too much of a beast to fly and too big to have in my garage, so it was donated to a local museum/youth organization.  The tape collection was the 500 pound gorilla that we needed to figure out what to do with, as it was over 600 tapes, in about 12 or 13 boxes. About this time last year is when we started on the project, and figuring out the logistics of what to do with a pallet load of video tapes, how to convert them to digital, and then what to do with them from there. it eventually boiled down to myself and Kevin King in Winnipeg, Canada. I convert the tapes and store the files on a remote hard drive. Then I upload them to a cloud where Kevin downloads them to clean out any copyrighted music and then uploads them to YouTube. He created the Walt Brownell Channel to recognize Walt's generosity and commitment to the hobby. At present, he has over 800 videos loaded onto the channel, and we are nearing the finish line with Walt's collection, which some feel was one of the largest private collections of Windy videos out there. We are down to about the last 150 or so tapes to do, and once we are sure we are finished with them, we will most likely donate the collection to the AMA museum for them to further preserve and edit. We just copied the raw videos as they are, which was more or less a look into the daily life of Windy Urtnowski as he went about the business of building models and making useful products for building and flying stunt model aircraft. Even to the point where we see Windy as he is witnessing the attacks on the World Trade Center twin towers on 9/11/2001. Windy's son and daughter were within a mile or so of ground zero and had not heard from them at the point where the video starts and the concern is evident in his voice. A very weird feeling for me as I was watching the video when it started up. I think that was one of the last Typhoon videos, #344 I think. These tapes are a bit of history, modeling history at the very minimum. There is definitely tons of information on these videos, lots of stuff to learn and enjoy and many, many old friends that are no longer with us are there also to live on in our memories. I hope you all will take advantage of watching and enjoying these and as Windy often said in the videos, "share the knowledge and technology in them to help make modeling more fun and enjoyable."  Lots more NATS, Brodak Fly-In, Team Trials, other east coast contests and untold volumes of other things to watch and enjoy.!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 02:33:46 PM »
Dan, how can we thank you and Kevin for what you are doing with these videos.  I guess watch more of them. D>K H^^ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here