News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:10:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scan of the day...NATS 69 MIG...BEFORE THE DAZE OF DUCTED FANS  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Scan of the day...NATS 69 MIG...BEFORE THE DAZE OF DUCTED FANS
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
Amazingly small Mig Scale model at the 69 Nats. Wish I had recorded the name of that amazingly gifted model maker. If it wasn't for that prop and huge engine head stickin out the bottom. That ENGINE REALLY WAS REALLLLLLLLLY COOKIN' N' SCREEEEAAAAMIN'
What a handful that model must have been to fly.
Don Shultz

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Scan of the day...NATS 69 MIG...BEFORE THE DAZE OF DUCTED FANS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »
Hi Donaldo,
That's the late Roland Baltes of Redondo Beach, CA. He was a local in SoCal and flew Carrier, Scale and some other events. Later he flew R/C Scale too.
I shadowed him for that whole day you took that shot because he didn't have anyone to launch for him and he asked me. When his flight came up, he asked some adult to launch for him! 
The model hung in the old Jet Hangar Hobbies shop in Cerritos for a long time. I wish I knew what happened to it after the shop closed about 15 years ago.
The model flew quite well, fast but very controllable and of course was throttled so it made nice landings and touch and goes. It had a Super Tigre 40 R/C with a 9x6 IIRC, and I liked how it approached to land with the nose really high, ran around the circle on three wheels and then rotated nose high again to take off.
Thanks for the trip back to Willow Grove.

Chris...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:17:14 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:21:11 PM »
Shultzie,

This is REALLY cool stuff your giving us with these scans, please keep 'em coming. No disprespect to anyone but these are from the days of "REAL" models in my opinion. ;D H^^ y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »

(clip)

Wish I had recorded the name of that amazingly gifted model maker.

Hi Don,

Chris McM has it right about that MiG.  It was built by Roland Baltes who was a great Carrier flier with several designs published and he was also successfull at the national level with a twin Dornier'

I drew the plans for the MiG that Roland Built.  He wrote a construction article with my plans that appeared in the November 1969 issue of American Aircraft Modeler.  Those construction drawings also appeared in the small format used in the Aeromodeller 71-72 Annual.

I have some photographs of that airplane in the air when it was first flown in Dayton, Ohio. but they are small B&W and they will not show up very well.

If I remember, he used a K&B 40 in the front end of that thing.  The original concept was to bury the engine back in the fuselage with a long shaft with universals to drive the prop in front.  Roland chose to make it a bit more simple with the engine in the front.  It took a bit of lead in the tail to get it to balance.  Span was about 25.5 inches and was around 54 inches long.

Keith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »
Thank Keith and Chris...
Interesting story Chris....Interesting story about you helping him all during that day.

Little did he know that someday you would be not only building beautiful models like his..but also that little helper kid that day at the nats....would be making his own winning foot prints on that hot tarmac.
Speaking of photos that remain heartfelt to me is this one... shot of you
 "Walking with Icons and Eagles... (but maaaaaaaaaaaybe..thinkin about that cool ice cream cone forth coming soon after standing out there in that HOT TARMAC AND FRIED BY THAT HOT KANSAS WIND FROM THE NORTH.  LL~ LL~
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:47:09 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »

(clip)

Chris McM has it right about that MiG.  It was built by Roland Baltes who was a great Carrier flier with several designs published and he was also successfull at the national level with a twin Dornier'

(clip)
Keith

Oops, I almost got it right about Roland's twin.  It was not a Dornier, it was a Junkers Ju 88.  He was on the US scale team at least once with that model (78 Scale World Championships in England).  He published a constrction article for that airplane in the February 1980 issue of Model Builder magazine.

My apologies to the memory of Roland Baltes.

Keith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
Donaldo,
I turned 50 last month, I was 9 in that picture. Very scary how it goes so fast.

Hi Keith,
I remember Roland also had a nice Me-410 Hornet twin fighter with McCoy 19 Greenheads when we lived in Redondo Beach. He was a lover of the German twins.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here