News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: aluminum cowls  (Read 3069 times)

Walter Hicks

• Trade Count: (0)
aluminum cowls
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
I am working on a scale model with an aluminum cowl. I need to get the hole cut of for the engine. I have no way of replacing the cowl if I
mess it up( Sterling Mr Mulligan) what is the best way to get the hole cut for the cylinder.  I know some have used tin snips but I do not want
to bend up the cowl. It seems the metal is too thick for dremel?? Thanks for your time.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: aluminum cowls
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »

drill a series of holes all the way round what u need to take out then take a 1/8 in course carbide cutter and connect the holes  then a good bastard file should do the job
rad racer

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »

drill a series of holes all the way round what u need to take out then take a 1/8 in course carbide cutter and connect the holes  then a good bastard file should do the job

I agree, and maybe a carborundum stone in the Dremel to help finish off.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:24:37 AM »
Use the uncut cowling as a plug for a fibreglass mold and you can make as many as you want.
The Sterling kit cowl is too small in diameter for a scale 1/12th anyway, I used the Sterling Waco cowl and it's a little shy in diameter too.
You could even use the cowling as is to make a couple of fiberglass cowlings by just drooping them over your existing. Not too pretty but usable.
Chris...

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »
You don't want to bend the aluminum, so you must avoid tin snips.  I have done it drilling holes around the perimeter, and finishing with a Dremel drum sander.  All the pressure is directed along the plane of the metal.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Snow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:02:33 AM »
If you haven't cut up your cowl .... make a fiberglass mold of it ..then make a fiberglass casting and use it and spare the original .... just in case you damage the cowl in some unforseen kissing the ground type of thing.. heaven for bid this happening.. but just in case. Then you can always offer a glass cowl for anyone who wants to scratch build the model. I have a Sterling Monocoupe  90 I'll do this for. Have the original cowl but would rather cut up a glass one instead.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here