News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .15 profile scale/ carrier Corsair  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Randy Snow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
.15 profile scale/ carrier Corsair
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:23:57 AM »
Here are the bones of my Corsair. The photos aren't any better then what I had for my F-4b4 .. but thought never the less here there are. For carrier I'll have my Cox Conquest on it but for profile scale I'll put my new O.S. LA .15 so I can hang a hugely muffler on it. This muffler will spoil the looks. QUESTION::: why mufflers required for all scale and yet not for stunt, carrier, combat, speed??? Everything makes noise.
Maybe to many photos-lol- The fuselage will be sheeted with 4" wide 3/32" sheet. All fabric areas of the actual Corsair will be fabric covered on the model. The flap control will be within the airfoil and the throttle control will exit through the wings lower leading edge. Elevator push rod will be within the fuselage with a wire coming out the tail cone for hook release. The hook will be removable for scale flying. All lead outs will be within the wing's airfoil.. out the bottom of the tip. The ailerons will be built up, fabric covered and if needed used for adjustment of flight attitude. I have made plans with 300" sq. wing.
 I have one of Sterlings F-4U bird cage kits.. well I still have the complete unbuilt wing and some of the fuselage parts , so I made up what will be needed using a scale fuselage plan I made from some high quality drawings form a Squadron publication of "US Navy fighters". If you don't have these Squadron publications get them. They are more than exultant. Short history, multi view drawings and color profiles. If you can find it get " Fighting Colors F-4U- Corsair in color" from Squadron and when on sale at Squadron " Famous Aircraft of the world F-4U Chance Vought Corsair". Squadron has their " Corsair in action" and maybe even " Corsair walk around". I even have the drawings that appeared in Scale RC Modeler yearbook '78.
Hope the photos are enjoyed.   

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: .15 profile scale/ carrier Corsair
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
You may run into problems in 15 carrier, both with the fuselage width and the exposed engine rule. Please check the "Profile Definition" rule in CL General.

Offline Randy Snow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
My profile carrier Curtiss Navy Hawk F- 6c powered with a Thunder Tiger pro .36 has nearly this same fuselage {{ my Navy Hawk has ' fabric covered sides as well as the fuselage deck behind the cockpit just like the real aircraft... all framed up over the center fuselage sheet and then covered}} The width and my F-4b4 is just like this Corsair. This Corsair's engine isn't buried in the fuselage---  /DVit has a 3/8" main body (( consisting of a 1/4" center with 1/16" balsa doublers from 25% of wing cord forward))- 1/8" lite ply doublers over this{ lite but has thickness}- and 1/4" balsa cheeks. The fuselage tapers from the end of the cowling to a 3/8" tail cone. What is seen in the photos is that I have cutt back from the front of the fuselage into the fuselage 5/8" so that I will have that " Hollow Look" of a real deep cowling-- not some plank with an engine hung on it. If someone wants to complain about this model in carrier - FINE- it won't be because of the fuselage but because of the over all quality of the model itself. If I can't fly it in carrier I'll fly it in profile scale. But I don't think I'll have any problem with this model in carrier. The other pilots will want to see it fly. I just wish that the Cox wasn't a rear ported exhaust.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
 "When a conventional, single cylinder, internal combustion engine is used, the engine shall be completely exposed
from the centerline of the crankshaft to the top of the cylinder head when viewed perpendicular to both the crankshaft centerline and the cylinder centerline."  "No fairing may be added to the engine which violates the “completely exposed” requirement of the previous sentences, and the engine cylinder shall not be contoured to present a streamlined cross section to the airflow. Additional reinforcements such as plywood nose doublers and cheek cowls or fairings are permitted within the width limits defined in the accompanying table. Such additional fuselage
reinforcements may extend from the prop drive washer to a point 25 percent of the wing root chord back of
the wing leading edge at the root and may be faired in.

Offline Randy Snow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
If no one wants to see it fly in carrier --- I'll fly it in profile scale... the model isn't wasted.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »

That's a very interesting way of building a "profile" fuselage, I may just steal the idea at some point. The Corsair looks really cool Randy, please keep us posted as you progress.

BTW, is it exceptionally warm at your house?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
Why are mufflers required in scale.

Answer:  All the other CL events are controlled by CL Contest Boards. 
Scale is controlled by the Scale Contest Board, which is dominated by RC.  Therefore CL Scale is saddled with some rules that are RC-driven. 

Most modern engines are designed with the engine, throttle, and muffler as a matched set and they don't work all that well without the muffler.  So the muffler rule, while extraneous, isn't all that damaging.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here