News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Profile scale PT 17  (Read 1381 times)

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
1/2A Profile scale PT 17
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »
The 1/2A Profile scale PT 17 is available in my section of the Vendors Corner. #^ #^

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A Profile scale PT 17
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
You posting brings to mind some problems I see with the 1/2A Scale rules.

Current rules offer a 10-point (5 per fight on the total of two flights) for multi-engine models.

Thus in effect all serious contests have become multi-engine events.  Your product is an aerobatic biplane, which buys the builder nothing in today's competition.

I am close to offering a rules change that will offer enough points for multi-wing planes and aerobatics to equal the 2-engine bonus.

My current and rather successful 1/2A is a Grumman Skyrocket which has never been beaten by a single engine model, has taken 2nd or 3rd behind other twins.

I think a 5-point cap on bonus points would still be good, with two points for biplanes and one point per stunt.

Paul Smith

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »
Paul,
As a long time scale judge I agree with your thoughts about the scale rules. I would be thrilled to see someone actually do some aerobatics with a scale model of an airplane that is capable of aerobatics. I am planning on building my MINI F82 Profile Scale kit for our 1/2A scale contest. With a pair of Cox TD .020 engines it will qualify for any 1/2A Profile scale contest. I will stunt that airplane when I get it built. The full scale airplane is fully aerobatic, so there is no reason not to loop the airplane. do lazy eights, and inverted flight.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »
Paul,
As a long time scale judge I agree with your thoughts about the scale rules. I would be thrilled to see someone actually do some aerobatics with a scale model of an airplane that is capable of aerobatics. I am planning on building my MINI F82 Profile Scale kit for our 1/2A scale contest. With a pair of Cox TD .020 engines it will qualify for any 1/2A Profile scale contest. I will stunt that airplane when I get it built. The full scale airplane is fully aerobatic, so there is no reason not to loop the airplane. do lazy eights, and inverted flight.

Pat

Somewhere in the forums in a thread about "Show me your Twister!" are photos of my profile scale/stunt Dusty crop dusting model. I wanted a profile scale airplane that I could fly in both profile scale and stunt classes. The "Planes" movie had just come out in 2013, I think it was, and Disney paid a guy from Texas to build and paint a real crop duster to look like the movie character. At the same time I ran across a set of plans for a Cessna Agwagon sport stunt model and was inspired to do Dusty. I knew I could not build an exact scale profile so just went as close as I could, with the idea that I just wanted to create the illusion of the real airplane. I started with the Twister wing and added an extra bay to get the higher aspect ratio I thought I needed. I used the basic outlines of the Agwagon and adjusted them to get as close to the photos of the real airplane as I could. The name of the manufacturer of the real airplane escapes me now, but it was modified from it's original radial engine version and upgraded to current turbo prop power specs, and I can not find any three views of it anywhere. For power, I used an OS LA.40 and installed a small box that holds the throttle servo, 2.4 Ghz receiver and battery. When I fly stunt with it, I remove the box and install the standard venturi and needle valve needed for C/L stunt. I need to add some more surface detail but so far I have been pleased with the results. My flight schedule for scale includes a loop and a real over head wing over. With only the six options I think it is for the flight, that is all I have had need or room for. But the airplane is capable of the whole AMA stunt pattern and I have scored 517 in profile stunt contests with it. And I have scored well in local scale contests with it also against some nice profile models. So it is possible. Another local guy named Walt Brownell did a Extra 300 in Patty Wagstaff colors several years ago, and that has always stuck in my mind as another possible aerobatic stunt model, along with the Bud Light Lazer of Leo Loudenslager. You have to take some liberties with wing outlines and airfoils to bet the stunt performance, but iif those could be countered with more points for more maneuvers, it might be worth it.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
Paul,

Pat

According to current rules, you don't need to settle for .020's.  You can go all the way up to .061 PER ENGINE.  So you could enter a four-engine "1/2A" with .244 cubic inches of power.

I built my Skyrocket with TeeDee .020 under that impression, and later upgraded it to Black Widows and now a pair of Tee Dee .049's.  Now it's a real Skyrocket.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:57:52 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:34:48 PM »
Paul,

Pat

Please keep us posted on the build Pat!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 07:38:32 PM »
Another local guy named Walt Brownell did a Extra 300 in Patty Wagstaff colors several years ago, and that has always stuck in my mind as another possible aerobatic stunt model, along with the Bud Light Lazer of Leo Loudenslager. You have to take some liberties with wing outlines and airfoils to bet the stunt performance, but iif those could be countered with more points for more maneuvers, it might be worth it.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
[/quote]

My EXTRA 330 SC is completely Profile Scale. It should be a great non-flapped stunter. The airfoil is symmetrical, the full scale airplane is designed for precision aerobatics. I don't think the airplane needs to be changed from scale to be a good stunter.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
According to current rules, you don't need to settle for .020's.  You can go all the way up to .061 PER ENGINE.  So you could enter a four-engine "1/2A" with .244 cubic inches of power.

I built my Skyrocket with TeeDee .020 under that impression, and later upgraded it to Black Widows and now a pair of Tee Dee .049's.  Now it's a real Skyrocket.

Our local 1/2A scale contest limits total displacement to .051 cubic inches. I believe that 1/2A competition should be limited to .050 total engine displacement, that is true 1/2A models. In my opinion, .061 engines have no place in any 1/2A competition.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here